Resume advice -- drop first teach job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ksnooz7, Mar 5, 2014.

1. ksnooz7

ksnooz7 Rookie

Mar 5, 2014

I have over 15 years of teaching experience on my resume. Sometimes I think it may look like I have too much. I'm wondering if I should drop my first teaching job from 1999-2004? It's a solid 5 years but I'm concerned that around here (semi-rural, cash strapped districts) it just makes me look expensive. I swear at my final round interview last year the Superintendent took one look at the resume and was like "nope, too costly". Also, maybe makes me look like a flight risk because of 3 different jobs at this point.

3. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Mar 5, 2014

See that is where they should have a limit or let you come in lower for reasons. At this point I would gladly come in with 3 years credit for my 9 years. If it was the right school.

4. ksnooz7

ksnooz7 Rookie

Mar 7, 2014

At chasisaac. ---- exactly how I feel

5. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Mar 9, 2014

Why wouldn't you put it in? You HAVE to put it in if you are applying for public school positions. Some states like Oregon REQUIRE you list ALL education-related employers on applications/resumes. These don't have to be regular teaching jobs, either, but ANYTHING involving students.

You NEVER want to lie, either outright or through omission, when getting a teaching job. Big, big mistake if you do this.

Teaching is not like other jobs that you can leave off after ten years because you don't want to give away your age. You get caught lying about this, and you will really be in the soup then.

6. bora

bora Rookie

Mar 10, 2014

They will find out about it, if they are looking to hire you. I did the same and they called me and asked about the job I didn't include on my resume. I had a very good reference from that job. ( It wasn't in education field). I just didn't think it was important. That's why I didn't include it on my resume. Do not lie!!!

7. kitteh

kitteh Rookie

Mar 10, 2014

So would you all suggest that a teacher's resume include all jobs, even those outside the education field? I worked as a waitress while putting myself through college, but I always assumed I should leave those jobs off my resume when applying to be a teacher.

8. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Mar 10, 2014

Teaching is my second career, I worked for 22 years in the dental field. I have not been including that on my resume since it was unrelated to education. Should I include it? It will be a dead giveaway as to my age. I am not getting many interviews without them knowing my age, I am afraid it they see all that experience they will just throw it away.

9. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Mar 12, 2014

I don't put any non-relevant career experience on my teaching resume, except for my experience working at Disney World in Guest Relations because it required me to work with a lot of assistive technology for Guests with special needs, which I think is applicable to working with special needs students. It tends to be a great conversation starter, as well.

Otherwise nope, I don't put any other career experience down besides teaching. I was always advised not to...?

10. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Mar 13, 2014

There is a significant difference between an application and a resume. Most places require the app to be 100% correct and is, if you will, a legal document.

A resume is an ad. I just went from two pages to one page. Stuff got dropped. I will fill in areas as needed during interview and will have the application correct.

11. ksnooz7

ksnooz7 Rookie

Mar 20, 2014

Yes Thanks

This is it exactly. My application will of course list all three teaching experiences.
    But the resume is different... Since my first is over 10 years ago (jobs over 10 years are commonly omitted in many fields), I don't think it would be inappropriate to omit it. Neither would it be lying. Thanks Chasisaac, you and I tend to think alike.