Restroom Procedures

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by woobie5, May 29, 2009.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

May 29, 2009

What are your procedures for your students using the restroom?

3. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

May 30, 2009

I give frequent bathroom breaks throughout the day which averts the "I gotta go" thing in the middle of instruction. If someone does have to go, I allow them-- but invariably other kids ask if they can go too. I tell them they can go when so-and-so gets back. They usually forget by the time the other does get there.

At the beginning of the year, clearly establish what acceptable and unacceptable bathroom behavior is. You can't go wrong by telling children that only one child can use an appliance at a time, that only classroom voices are allowed (it's so much fun to whoop it up in that echo chamber!), that they MUST respect each other's privacy, that sinks and soap are not for playing, that's baby stuff.

At one point this year I allowed only one boy at a time in the bathroom because there were problems in there. Since I'm female, I ain't going in there and supervising! It was no fun being alone in there, I guess, because the nonsense stopped. I went to two at a time, then allowed them free access again.

4. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 30, 2009

Our bathrooms are in our room. Whenever a child needs to go, he/she will let us know.
    Rebel1

5. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

May 31, 2009

I have my kids use a silent signal (sign lang. letter r & shake) and I can just nod to them to know I have seen their signal, and they may go. I agree, that once 1 asks, they all ask.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 31, 2009

Sign language letter 'r' is the Sign English instead of the American Sign Language way of saying restroom. The problem with it is that it looks like the word "ready" since most people do not sign "ready" with two hands as it is typically shown in sign dictionaries. It's not a big deal but in American Sign Language it is the same sign but with the letter "t." In the deaf community Sign English is not considered a language like ASL is but I won't go into all that drama. Let's just leave it at the fact that the sign is easily confused with "ready." Since they aren't likely around other deaf people and it is a silent sign used in your classroom, it's not a big deal really but I thought I would point out the distinction.

7. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jun 1, 2009

This is the first year I tried a "Bathroom Buddy". We have a bathroom in our class (though in the hallway). I have a small stuffed animal that we call the bathroom buddy. It is on the corner of my desk. If the child needs to use the bathroom, he gets the bathroom buddy and puts it on his chair, then goes. When he comes out, he returns it to my desk. If it is not on my desk, he knows that someone is in the bathroom and he needs to wait. It has worked out very well. They never forget to put it back because it is on their seat. No questions if someone is in the bathroom and I can keep track of kid's bathroom use alittle better.

8. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jun 2, 2009

Our school wide restroom procedures are really simple:

Be Quick, Be Clean, Be Quiet.