restroom procedures

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by teach with love, Feb 7, 2004.

1. teach with love

teach with love Rookie

Feb 7, 2004

I never imagined that I would be facing a challenge with my students and the need to go to the restroom. This is my fourth year teaching first grade and this class seems to constantly ask me to go the restroom. (We take a class restroom break at 10:45 and 2:00). But, I still have several students that insist they have to go before our break. They don't stay gone very long and there are no reported problems. It's just that: THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY! I feel very interrrupted by children needing to leave the room but, I never want to be the teacher that tells the child to wait and he pees his pants. Any ideas on how to help this situation? Has anything worked for anyone else?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 7, 2004

Do the kids interrupt lessons? Other kids? Are you worried about their safety? Do they dawdle and play in there?

If not, I don't really see the problem. I have never told a child he/she couldn't go to the restroom. I don't like that they miss instruction time, but that's the way it goes.

4. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

Feb 7, 2004

I have seen teachers use a sign out sheet where the child is allowed to "go" a given number of times (per day/week, whatever the case). This allows them the oportunity to "go" but with limitations. Another teacher uses a system that allows X number of sticks to be used for the washroom. Once gone... no "go"!! I agree with you, I have had students do 30 minutes of play time and suddenly during clean up or instructional time they have the "urge". It wasn't there when they were playing though. If some students constantly go, ask the parents if there is a problem. I have a student who has to "go" often and has a doctor's note stating so.

Good luck!

5. jentch123

jentch123 Rookie

Feb 7, 2004

I had the same problem but, I change the proceduers and things are working out better. I have one girls pass and one boy pass. The students are allowed to use the pass without asking but, they have to signout so,I know who is gone, my class is small so
    this works. They can only go one at a time if the pass is gone then they have to wait. I thought I might have a problem with students going to many times, or going just because someone else went, but i have not had a problem yet. I'll let you know. This is also my fourth year of teaching first grade does that have anything to do with it? :):rolleyes: :rolleyes:

6. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Feb 7, 2004

My kids do the same thing, but I generally let them go whenever if they haven't been in trouble. If they do get in trouble, they have to "go" with a buddy (more responsible child)--not so fun!

I have heard of someone using a stuffed animal or object to set on their desk while they are out. That way if they are gone and the object is on their desk, you know where they are. I don't know how well this works, but I remembered reading it somewhere & thought it might help.

7. Feb 8, 2004

Before I was fortunate enough to have a bathroom in my room I used clothespins with my student's names on them. If they had to go they brought me their clothespin and I would pin it on my shirt. When they got back they would come get it and clip it back on the ribbon we keep them on. For students who used it frequently I kept a check list of the number of times they would bring me a clip.

If it was excessive I would call the parents because frequent restroom use can be a sign of a bladder or urinary tract infection. That usually took care of the problem because the parents woudl talk with the child or take them to the doctor to get checked out.

(Also keep in mind that if they are actually going to the bathroom many many times a day it can be an indicator of sexual abuse so watch their other behaviors as well. I didn't know this until I encountered such a situation)

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Feb 8, 2004

I had this same problem. I took over the class after the first three weeks of school, and up to that point, they went to the washroom whenever they wanted. It felt like the classroom was a revolving door. Within a week I had implemented a system that has seeme dto work. Each student has 4 laminated name cards at their table. Each time they need to go to the washroom, they take a name card and put it in the container by the door, then they take the "washroom card" that hangs around their neck. This way each child can go to the washroom 4 times without asking and only one is gone at a time.

9. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Feb 8, 2004

I subbed in a 3rd grade classroom where she used the system of changing the cards for behavior management and tied the restroom use into that. If they had to leave class to go to the bathroom, then they needed to move their card. (the first several colors resulted in lost time at recess). I had a few children ask to use the restroom and when I reminded them that they would have to move their card, it suddenly became less urgent!!

10. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Feb 10, 2004

11. Deanna

Deanna Guest

Feb 24, 2004

We've been learning about all kinds of routines and procedures in my theory and practice class. One that I found particularly helpful was to have hand signals so that the whole class is not interrupted. Open hand raised means "ihave a question or I want to answer the question" One finger raised (specify index finger:eek: ) and closed fist raised means i have to go to the bathroom. That way students can communicate to the teacher without interrupting what is going on and a nod is all that is required as permission from you.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2004

I use Deanna's hand signal- except mine is a fist with thumb sticking out between pointer and middle finger. Someone told me that's the sign language for bathroom!! it works pretty well! Then the child signs out on a wipe off laminated class sheet with the time of leaving and also leaves a 'CD' bathroom pass on their desk so I can remember that's where they are...I try to have them limit to one morning and one afternoon visit to the bathroom- within reason to avoid the abusing the bathroom/out of the room/avoiding work thing.

13. teach with love

teach with love Rookie

Feb 28, 2004

Amazing - this tecninique works like a charm! I just remind them that we have 2 designated breaks per day and they need to go then. Nobody in my room wants to ask any other time. Moving their card means they will miss out on all the perks at the end of the week for perfect behavior! Now, I have all students with me during instruction! Yeah! Thnaks for being there everybody!:D

14. happy

happy Guest

Feb 28, 2004

The thing that has worked the best for me is a stick/money system where they have to give one away if they use the bathroom at off times. (1 stick=$1, sticks are used daily and tallied at the end of each day. They always start with ten and lose them if they are off task in some manner) I allow them the standard breaks as well as use during their work time without charge so to speak. I have a special cup in which they put their name/sticks or personal money (if they had a really bad day/they put their name on $ when I give it to them) if they go during wrong times. If it's an emergency they'll give it up...but they hate that part cause they love building up their account for classroom store. I found the main bother was the constant disruption of my effort to teach or assist others. It is now a non-issue for they need only to go quietly to the special cup station..(a classroom job of great status) and drop their fee in. I have used this system for years and the children self-monitor with very little abuse of this priviledge. It is a non-issue now.Good luck!

15. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Mar 31, 2004

What I do is this-

I have 2 passes a boys pass and a girls pass. They place it where they were sitting and sign out with their name and time out and time in. They can not leave the room to go to the bathroom while I am teaching. Also, At The end of they day I check the sheet.If I see that a student goes more than twice and on each time it is longer then ten minutes each they will miss a recess because when I see that a child goes out of the calssroom more than two times and it is longer than 10 minutes they are just trying to get out of a class.

Hope I Helped!!

16. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Apr 1, 2004

czacza LOL I do the saome thing...only I thougt that the sign language singal was hand up in the air....thumb, pointer and pinky out, middle and ring down.....

I wonder what I'm really having them say...?

:eek:D

17. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 1, 2004

Thumb, pointer, and pinkie out means "i love you" :)

18. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Apr 2, 2004

LOL you must have a classroom full of love. :)

The sign language symbol is "toilet" - the thumb between the pointer finger and middle finger is a sign language t, like czacza described, but you should rotate it to make the "toilet" or "bathroom" symbol.