Restroom Breaks

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Teachingin08, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Teachingin08

Teachingin08 Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

How many restroom breaks do you work into your day for 1st graders? (and about how far apart?)

3. Sheree

Sheree Companion

Jul 22, 2008

Unfortunately, I do not have a bathroom in my classroom. So collectively, I take them twice a day. I assign two bathroom helpers and have a well rehearse routine. My class can do it without me! I stress the importance to my students that they must try to go to the bathroom. However, I do allow my students to "go" anytime throughout the day. No accidents!:lol:

4. Teachingin08

Teachingin08 Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

I don't have a restroom in my classroom either. The bathroom that my students must use is around the corner and up the stairs and only contains 2 stalls and one sink for girls/same set up for boys across the hall. I am thinking that restroom breaks are going to be very time consuming. Any tips or ideas?

5. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 22, 2008

I do 3-4 whole class rr breaks and one break by tables (3 tables at a time). Then they can go in between times as long as I am not teaching a lesson or we are not doing a whole group activity--which are usually scheduled after our planned breaks. One tip is to play the quiet game in the hall for kids that are waiting. I have a bee puppet that they get to pass to a quiet student and whoever ends up with Buzz (our puppet) will get to keep him at their table until the end of the day or the next quiet game. You can also do a competition between girls and boys--who is the quietest and quickest. Make sure you teach and reteach the way you want restroom procedures to go. I also have two helpers of the day-one boy and one girl. During whole class breaks they stand in the restroom door and are my "eyes". hth--I hate restroom breaks but first graders need 'em!

6. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 23, 2008

I had 3 class restroom breaks, one b4 specials, one after lunch, and one before dismissal. My kids trickle in, in the morning, so they were able to go on their own in the morning. If they had to go outside any of these times they had to clip down. At the beginning of the year, I had a revolving door and it drove me crazy! I let them go when they needed, but I had many that took advantage of this. After I implemented this, I found kids from other classes either playing in the bathroom or walking incredibly slowly back to class, I am sure my kids were doing this too. I was tired of catching kids up with work/directions they had missed, as well.

This coming year, when students need to go outside our classroom trips, I thought I would give them RR cards, and when they need to use it they put it on my desk. At the end of the day, I can write the date on it to document their frequent usage. I know I read this somewhere, and thought it was a clever idea :)

7. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 23, 2008

Kids are allowed to go on their own first thing in the morning during journal time. Before lunch, we either all go together or I send a few at a time so that everyone washes their hands. Some have to go again after lunch/recess. We also usually go altogether after recess or specials. Students can go at other times if they really need to.

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2008

I have never heard of whole class bathroom breaks.

Part of being ready for first grade is being able to walk down to the restroom, do what you gotta do, and get back to class in a timely manner. With first graders, dawdling isn't the problem. Running in the halls is.

I trust my students. If I think the student is abusing that trust, then I take away the privilige from that student. I also might tell a student they can go, but they owe me some recess time if they do. That ususally separates the truthful from the actors.

I would never force a child to use the restroom when they didn't need to.

9. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2008

I like how you handle this. I think that is the way I would do it too but I have bathroom in my classroom so I don't have to worry about it.

10. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Jul 24, 2008

We went as a class to the bathroom as my classroom was in an outside wing with 3, 4, 5 graders. We took a morning break with snacks and bathroom (no a.m. recess), before p.m. recess, and before specials. During the day, the kids can go as needed but only with a partner.

11. MrsV

MrsV Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

I don't take classroom bathroom breaks. The rule is that they can have one trip in the morning and one trip in the afternoon (this is more enforced after Christmas). Although I explain that if it is an emergency (ie. about to have an accident), they need to ask immediately and I will let them go. I do notice those that have consistent "emergencies" and then we talk about the difference.

12. lilygirl

lilygirl Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

Ahhh, the dreaded restroom break time! I take my class twice a day, and they are permitted to use the restroom any time they need to with a partner. (bathrooms are in the hall).

13. fuzzybunnie

fuzzybunnie Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

I teach in a Catholic school and I have 33 students. I only give bathroom breaks before Mass.because they take so long I have a hand signal for individual trips, but of course some take advantage. I like the idea of the RR card to document over-use (this can actually be a sign of a bladder infection or diabetes, so it's important) but some of the sensitive kids would then "hold it" so as not to get in trouble and then there's an accident and "why didn't you let my child go to the barthroom?".

I have a sink in my room so we wash our hands right before lunch, and I find it is after lunch that most of them need to use the bathroom. But that's my read-aloud time and I don't want to give it up! I have to do more thinking about this because I'm not really happy with the status quo.