Restless during rest time!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by edukidds, Dec 9, 2007.

1. edukidds

edukidds Rookie

Dec 9, 2007

I am seeking out advice for those children who are restless at rest time. They are noisy and mobile for most of rest time. So far, I have given prizes (stickers, candy) to good, quiet resters. I also have a stuffed dog I give out to exceptionally good resters as incentive to rest quietly. I play calming music during rest time, as well. For children who are noisy and mobile, they get a verbal warning and then they have to sit at a table near me for a short time.

FYI: I teach full day Head Start to 17 darling 3-5 year old students and rest time is 30-45 minutes long.:yawn:

3. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Dec 9, 2007

They probably WANT to be near you. I think that in situations like these, the teacher has to give up her own work time during nap for a few weeks, while being as quiet and boring as possible, not giving attention to those who don't lay quietly, and sitting closely to those who want to be next to the teacher. You don't have to sleep, but you have to be quiet so your friends can sleep.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 9, 2007

We have a rest time of about 2 hrs and 15 minutes. Most of my kids sleep. I have some who sleep only occasionally, and one or two who rarely fall asleep. I tell them that I don't care if they sleep or not, as long as they're quiet enough that their friends can sleep. If thy can't stay on their cots, I have been known to ask kid to stand for a short period of time. (For instance... the kid who decides to crawl under the table, or the ones who start playing with the things on the walls). Near me, but I refuse to talk to them. They can't touch the table or the chairs, twist around, play, etc. It's just standing. It's very boring. Most kids haven't needed to do that more than once or twice before they realize it's just better to lay nicely on their cots. Many of them have a small stuffed animal... which they get to play with on their cots, as long as they can do it quietly.

It works mos of the time.

5. Patch351

Patch351 Rookie

Dec 9, 2007

I'm in the same boat edukidds, except just not with rest time....the whole day. I have a few that just can't seem to listen. We have the rules posted (created by them&me), we review the rules every morning, we are consistant, positively reinforce....so on and so on. I'm on my last straw. I wanted to impliment a reward system or even just give out stickers or anything but my director HATES seeing teachers do that. She wants the children to self regulate and have self control, which I understand, but they are also 4 and 5 years old. So I'm reading all these ideas for you too.....thanks for posting! :)

6. edukidds

edukidds Rookie

Dec 11, 2007

I have already implemented the "standing" consequence with some success. Thank you for the idea!

7. Myname

Myname Comrade

Dec 12, 2007

I have one child who is a stinker and my coworker will go over and sit by this child's cot works most of the time.

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 12, 2007

Last year for my restless kids I tried... and had forgotten about it til I was cleaning out and found them again... bean bags. I placed a couple of bean backs on the child's back, and told them that they were trying to lay still enough that the bean bags didn't fall off. Some of the kids HATED this, but it really helped a few of them :)

9. milestones_fcc

milestones_fcc Rookie

Dec 12, 2007

I use a white noise machine instead of music--it seems to make a difference. I have mostly 2-4 year olds, and they sleep, but I do have 1 five year old who usually stays awake. He and I have an agreement--if he's very quiet, he can look at books on his mat during rest time. It's working.

Is 30-45 minutes enough rest time for a 3 year old?

10. Here2Learn

Here2Learn Companion

Dec 12, 2007

our nap time is from 12:30-2:30...some kids wake up by 2, but some sleep until 2:30 and we have to wake them up. we lay them down at 12 and sit with them, rub their backs, etc...and they fall asleep. this is for the 2 and 3 year olds....the 4 year old teachers usually don't sit with the kids, but they let them all have a "sleeping buddy" they can bring from home. also, for the kids who take a short nap and then wake up we give them a book or a "quiet box" that is just a small box with a few things the kids can play with quietly. 45 minutes isn't very long, though. it takes 45 minutes for a few kids to even fall asleep.