Restaurant situation...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ecteach, Jan 21, 2015.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jan 21, 2015

Last night my family and I went out to dinner. The waitress brought us an appetizer that we didn't order. We immediately told her it wasn't ours. She replied, "I can't take it back now, because I already sat it on your table...you might as well enjoy it." We were more than happy to oblige. It was delicious!

Then came the bill! Don't you know she charged us for the appetizer! I wanted to say something, but my husband said not to. He said that was rude since we already ate it.

What's your opinion?

Again, it was delicious! :whistle:

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 21, 2015

That was a sneaky way to get you to eat something and pay for it. I would have said something. Who knows, she might be doing this to every table.

4. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 21, 2015

IA with your husband. I wouldn't have said anything, but that is simply my personality in situations like this. "Arguing/debating" with a waitress over the cost of an appetizer would embarrass me. I also hate when people nitpick charges at restaurants or insist on splitting up the bill/tab because they only had one drink. Stuff like this just turns my stomach and drives me crazy.

I'm simply not a "but, it's the principle of it!" type person. Let it go and keep it moving is my motto.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 21, 2015

The matter is worth bringing up to the manager or owner. It would surprise me to find that an appetizer brought to a table in error can't immediately be picked back up and delivered to the right table. If I owned the place, I'd want to know that someone on my staff needs (a) a refresher course in how to deal with a mistake in serving or (b) a reprimand for attempting to pad a customer's bill. Of course, it's possible that the server has been encouraged to do things like this; in that case, I think it's important that the manager or owner understand that patrons WILL notice and hold the restaurant properly accountable.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2015

I would have asked to have it removed from bill.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 21, 2015

I wouldn't have paid for it. She did that on purpose it sounds like.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 21, 2015

I probably would have sucked it up because I avoid confrontations like the plague. However, BF and my mom would both probably say something.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2015

I wouldn't have paid for it.

My family goes out to eat a lot. We live in a large city known for its restaurants and entertainment, so we have a lot of options. We have occasionally experienced these sorts of things and other types of server/kitchen errors. I understand that mistakes are made, but that doesn't obligate me to pay for them.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 21, 2015

Nope--I wouldn't pay for anything I didn't order!

I would've asked for the manager and told him/her the whole story!

11. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jan 21, 2015

I absolutely would have said something. I am very polite in my interactions, but I will always state if I am not satisfied with the service or food. They're in the business to please and managers need feedback if they want to improve or correct issues.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 21, 2015

It doesn't matter that you ate it. That was the waitress' error & you shouldn't be billed for it. Not that I like to raise a fuss or cause a scene, but this occasion is something to oppose & if it meant I'd have to end up calling the manager about it the next day to get it resolved because he wasn't there that night, then so be it.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2015

I would contact the owner or manager and explain the situation. I would also let them know that although the food was delicious, you felt coerced into paying for food that you didn't order. I would go on to state that in the spirit of NOT ending the meal on a sour note, the food was paid for, but that it has become troublesome and impossible to put out of your mind, since it basically leaves the consumer hostage to whatever the server places on the table if the restaurant expects the consumer to cheerfully pay for food that wasn't ordered. Diners often have a budget in mind when dining out, and to be expected to pay for unordered food is an expense that shouldn't be shouldered by the consumer who states what is desired. I would proceed to state that if the server intended to tack on the cost of the unordered food to the bill, in the hopes that it would go unnoticed, that amounts to fraud. I would tell the owner/manager that the taste left in your mouth by having to pay for the item not ordered completely overshadows the quality of the food that you were "given." This is a form of bait and switch, and most likely illegal. Suggest that the owner/manager make this right, or that is an eating establishment that you may never frequent again. An honest owner/manager will want to do the right thing, and will most likely comp the meal, to gain back your good opinion - and they should. The server is inept, and the reputation of the restaurant is on the line every time something like this happens. It is nice that the food was good, but to be fair, I would have to state my case, no matter how many days it has been. These are the kind of things that bother me the more I think about them, and I will reach out and share my concern. My husband has his own business, and he would rather hear about a problem from the customer involved than through the grapevine as gossip that can't possibly be easily resolved.

It should go without saying that you should always be polite in these interactions. Nothing defeats the purpose like putting the other person on the defensive.

14. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 22, 2015

Depends on the restaurant, honestly. Personally, I wouldn't have raised a stink, but my dad definitely would talk to a manager at a place like a chain. If it were a local restaurant that we like & has great food and the appetizer was good? We would've paid for it and just called the next day to make sure that they knew what happened. If it was another local restaurant, the owners alternate who walks around the restaurant to check how people are doing, and we would tell them right then any there.

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2015

This.

16. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2015

I would not have paid for that. And her tip for trying to do that, has just been significantly reduced.

17. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 22, 2015

I agree with callmebob. Wouldn't have paid for it and and greatly reduced her tip. I'm not paying for something I didn't order.

18. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jan 22, 2015

Oh wow, my hubby would've flipped. And we'd never be able to go back. :)

Yes, we definitely would've called for the manager. No matter what, we wouldn't pay for it under the circumstances.

19. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 22, 2015

I'm not a confrontational person at all, but it wouldn't even occur to me to not say something and just pay for it. I'm fairly certain that if you did say something she would have to admit it was a mistake and correct the bill- I'm not even seeing this as a situation where you would need to get a manager.

20. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 22, 2015

I wouldn't have said anything. I think it might have to come out of the waitress's check, which is already low enough to begin with.

And I would NEVER reduce a tip of a waitress/waiter unless they were absolutely horrendous. Those poor people have one of the most under appreciated, under paid jobs around. As a teacher, I sympathize with that!!!

21. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jan 22, 2015

I am happy to pay for what I order and tip well for it. However, I would not pay for something that I did not order.

22. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2015

Do the owner or manager a service, and make him aware of an undesirable situation within the restaurant. He will thank you.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2015

Rectifying a billing/service error is not causing a stink. Any well managed restaurant who care about their reputation and repeat business/word of mouth would have NO ISSUE taking an unwanted/unordered item off the bill.

24. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 22, 2015

Exactly. I would definitely ask about the bill if there was something on it that I hadn't ordered. There are kind ways and there are confrontational ways. I am never confrontational.

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2015

I agree with HistoryVA. I would have said something. I worked in the restaurant industry for 3 years. There was no point during that time that if I made a mistake and brought an app to the wrong table that I couldn't take it back. I would definitely not have charged them if I told them to keep it and enjoy.

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 23, 2015

If it ends up coming out of the server's check it's not the problem of the customer. What if it was an appetizer that you didn't like? If I was given a seafood appetizer "by mistake" I would have promptly sent it back. I would have said,"Sorry, you need to bring it back. I don't eat seafood". What would the waitress have said then? It sounds like the server just didn't want to go through the trouble of rectifying the situation to begin with.

27. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jan 23, 2015

If we had sent it back, I would have definitely not paid for it. We go to this restaurant on average about once every two weeks. It's been too much time now. But, I'm glad most people think I was right. :p
    The funny thing is....my husband is way more confrontational than me generally.

28. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2015

I'd refuse to pay.

29. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2015

I don't agree with the "it's too late" train of thought - you were just there on 1.20.15 and today is 1.23.15. Reaching out to let management know they have a problem does not have an expiration date shorter than milk! ;)

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 23, 2015

I go out to eat maybe once every 3 months. I'd rather cook myself then deal with weird and annoying stuff like this happening.

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 23, 2015

Well, I eat out quite a bit & nothing like this situation has ever happened to me. But, I know there can be a first for everything!

32. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Feb 8, 2015

So....I thought I would update everyone. Last night we went to this restaurant again. I mentioned to the owner/manager what happened last time. I started out by explaining that I know it had been a long time, and I should have told him sooner......etc. Long story short, we got two free desserts, and an extra order of wings to take home. He then told us that particular waitress stopped showing up for work, and doesn't work there anymore.

33. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 8, 2015

Isn't it interesting that when someone does 1 thing so wrong, it can be an indicator that other things are done as well? That's why you should never feel bad for speaking up in situations like this.

34. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2015

Good for you speaking up.restores your faith in the restaurants mgt.

35. hatima

hatima Devotee

Feb 8, 2015

I would have said something. It was rude of the waitress to charge you after saying, "I can't take it back now, because I already sat it on your table...you might as well enjoy it." It was something you all did not order. You can dispute a bill without being rude.

36. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Feb 9, 2015

I read this thread and it struck me that so many would not have said anything to the waitress. It bothers me actually more that the original post. It might have been a good deed to say something. She was either making the "mistakes" deliberately or was not paying attention. Doing nothing guaranteed that she would do it again to someone else and perpetuate the problem. What other things was she doing? (think sanitation people).

I'm glad the management corrected the problem. Wonder what was up with her.

37. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 9, 2015

I figured she wouldn't last long working there!

38. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2015

This seems very unfair. Why not give them a chance to fix it first? Mistakes happen. Save the negative reviews for when a business refuses to make a bad situation right.

As to something else mentioned above, I am rarely ok with splitting a bill evenly. I'm vegan and my options are often limited when going out with a group. I also don't drink much. I'm not paying $30 to subsidize somebody else's steak dinner when all I got was a sad salad and one drink.

I got an extra drink at Starbucks today. They accidentally made my latte hot, so they gave me both but didn't charge (for either drink since I had to wait). Good thing I get decaf or I'd have been bouncing off my classroom walls today.

39. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 10, 2015

The only time we have left a negative review online was when the food/service was horrendous AND the owner came out and made it seem like we were the crazy ones! Didn't offer to fix anything. We later found tons of negative reviews about this place (we just stopped there on a whim so didn't check it out online before hand).