Rest time?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by dizzykates, Sep 11, 2008.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Sep 11, 2008

Does your school do rest time for the kindergarteners? I am discovering that most of the kindergarten kids at my school are not given a rest time. I find the kids to often be uncontrolled, over tired (ie. off task and out of line), and unfocused by the end of the day. Some of this might be the first few weeks of school, but shouldn't kids this age have a rest time if they are at full day kindergarten?

What does your school do?

3. MissB

MissB Companion

Sep 11, 2008

My kids have a 10-15 minutes rest time after lunch and recess. None of them fall asleep, and it seems to help only a couple of kids, the rest could care less and would rather be doing something active. Every class is different though.

Eventually my rest will become more of a quiet work time (where they can read or color quietly). Right now it is more of a nap time, but it isn't a productive time in my class.

4. MissMaurie

MissMaurie Companion

Sep 11, 2008

We do not have a rest time, though I wish we did. We have 3 hours with the kids at the end of the day with no break and it gets very tiring. Sometimes, I will play soft music and just have them put their heads on their desks for a few minutes. I stand near the door keeping a lookout for any admin.:lol:

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 12, 2008

We have 15 minutes of "rest" time after lunch. I think I am going to switch it to read or rest. They aren't resting they are trying to play.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 12, 2008

I do 15 minutes after lunch, as well. Up through this week we have been resting for about 25 minutes, because they are all very tired and continuously ask me, "When do we get to rest?" (although none of them fall asleep). Starting next week we will only rest for 15 minutes. I think it's good for them to have that quiet, relaxing, brain rest. I close the blinds, turn piano music on, and shut off the lights.

I've seen some teachers do yoga or have independent reading during quiet time.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 12, 2008

Read or rest didn't work either. I may just read to them. They are actually quiet when I read.

8. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Sep 12, 2008

After lunch I read while they sit at their tables. They can put their heads down but most don't. I haven't had anyone fall asleep yet.

9. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

This is the first year that I haven't had a rest time. My kids are also fidgety and unfocused at end of day. I read a chapter or 2 to them after lunch then we are back to curriculum. Honestly I always HATED rest time. My children did not rest and it was torture trying to keep them settled "quietly" for 45 minutes.

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2008

Our K teachers always joke and say that if rest time was taken away from them, they would switch careers. I am not sure how long their nap is, but I know it is at least 30-45 mins.

11. Kteacher06

Kteacher06 Companion

Sep 13, 2008

Some of the teachers I work with do have a rest time, others do not, however, our district recommends a rest period for kindergarten. The recommended time is not to exceed 30 minutes. I think the rest period is important, however, as the year goes on, I spend less time having the kiddos rest. In our class, they have towels that they keep at school. During R&R, each student finds a spot on the floor to put their towel and lie on it. With the lights off, I read a couple of chapters from a chapter book (I get enough light in from the windows). They love it and none of my students have complained about rest time this year. By the end of the year, it will become a 10-minute rest period with just one chapter reading.

12. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

I have a 30 minute rest time every day. I feel very strongly that kids need some down time. Right now I have 8 kids falling asleep everyday. Even kids that don't sleep need some quiet time. Kindergarten is so busy and everyone needs some time to just day dream. We either get out rest mats and listen to music or we watch an educational video. By the end of the year I do let some of the kids do quiet coloring if they are not tire. I use this time to pass out papers, respond to parent notes, do 1 on 1testing etc.. I don't know what I would do if I had to eliminate rest time.

13. mcjklj

mcjklj Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

We have a 20-30 minute rest time in the afternoon. The kids can bring a blanket and stuffed animal from home. They just put their heads on their desks (we don't have room for mats), I turn off the lights and play quiet music. I usually have 3 or 4 that fall asleep.

The beginning of the year was "torture." But, we're four weeks into it and now they seem to be able to sit still and just rest their bodies. I make sure they understand that they don't have to go to sleep, but they have to stay quiet and in their seats.

(We have "choosing time" -- or free play-- right after rest time. They know that if they choose not to rest during rest time, then they have to rest during "choosing time." This works really well!)

14. Miss Nelson

Miss Nelson Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

We have 30-45 minutes of rest time and I must say that it is the most stressful time. Most do not rest and those who do fall asleep are very grumpy when we have to get them up. I would much rather have them put their heads down for 15 minutes or have a "silent" reading time where they can choose a book or quietly color. But we also have a 8 hour school day so some of them really do need the rest as some get on the bus as early as 6:30 am.

15. harbodin

harbodin Companion

Sep 14, 2008

40-45 minutes every day. All but 2 fall asleep. I know my kids don't go to bed at a good time, we are full day, and have an early start (school opens at 7, kids come in room at 7:30). They are exhausted, and if we skip for any reason they are miserable that day and the next. Even if they don't sleep their little bodies need time to rejuve and recoup and soak in everything they learned.

16. teach1961

teach1961 New Member

Sep 14, 2008

Nap Time

My students are required to take a 20 rest period. They are worn out and I am experiencing the same type of behaviors. I have about 5 that fall asleep every day. It breaks my heart to wake them.

17. bethany1120

bethany1120 Companion

Sep 14, 2008

We have 25-30 min of rest time each day after lunch. My first year of teaching K I HATED rest time because the kids were talkative and goofing around. Then I read on this forum that some teachers use books on tape during rest time. I began doing this and it was like I flipped a magic switch! The kids got so into the stories they were so good during rest time. Now that I've been teaching a few years, rest time goes really well. We go over the expectations the first few weeks over and over, and the kids do really well. We listen to Junie B. Jones on CD and the kids LOVE it! They can also bring books to their mat or fall asleep if they want. I've learned over the past few years that some kids truely have a hard time functioning without rest time.

18. cosmoteach

cosmoteach Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

We do not have a formal rest time. I use my read aloud time as a time for the students to rest. The students can relax and just listen to good stories!

19. singingstacy

singingstacy Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

I have a pretty long naptime, and almost all (if not all) the kids go to sleep. I play relaxing celtic music (I got the cd at target) and I think that without that, most of them wouldn't go to sleep. It does give me a chance to get some stuff done (as much as I can get done without leaving my room and without turning on the lights... although once they're all asleep, I can usually turn the lights on and not one of them stirs.)