Rest time?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Jazzy*Jai, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Jazzy*Jai

Jazzy*Jai Rookie

Aug 26, 2010

Hi all,

I was just rehired:D (after being laid off due to budget cuts). The new school that doesn't allow nap, which is what I am used to. At my previous school, the students had mats & blankets and napped for 60 minutes.
    At my new school the P said that she allows 30 minutes of rest time. Help! Do they just put thier heads on their desk? What about talkers? How do I schedule this during the day?

Thanks for any info:thanks:

3. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 26, 2010

My kids have 30 minutes of "rest time." We do have mats, however, most kids by October don't fall asleep. At the begining of the year I only let them lay on the mats while listening to music. Towards the end of the year (depending on the group) I will sometimes let them take a notebook and a pencil to their mat and they can quietly draw ( they loved step by step drawing books last year). Last years group was so wonderful I let them do some quiet puzzles, read books etc.. at their seats as well. Some days we will watch an educational video/dvd during rest time. When we watch a video we don't get out mats.

Rest time is always a big discussion on these boards (should we have it or not have it). I am a big supporter of rest time. I feel they need down time every day. I schedule my rest time right after our special class in the afternoon. It works out well. Also, I often don't have my whole class during this time. The speech, OT, teachers and kids that get tutoring get pulled during this time so that they don't miss academics. Rest time is also the time when I do alot of 1 on1 testing. I don't have an aide so this rest time is so valuable to me.

4. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Aug 26, 2010

No nap time here either. After lunch, I read a couple of chapters from a book or show a United Streaming video that relates to our unit of study (great, if I need to do something at my desk for a few mins.) :) This gives the children a chance to rest their little bodies and their minds if needed.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 26, 2010

After doing some Responsive Classroom research this summer (which suggests ALL grades have a 15-30 minute quiet time), I'm a proud supporter of it, too, now! :D (I used to have it just for the first few months). I plan on having a 15 minute quiet time every day. The kids bring a towel to school, which they keep in a plastic bag in the hallway. In the beginning of the year they will just lay down and I will play music. Eventually, I may read from a chapter book, play Letter Factory on the Smartboard, and allow them to read or draw quietly at their blanket.

6. Jazzy*Jai

Jazzy*Jai Rookie

Aug 26, 2010

Thanks

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 26, 2010

We have rest time for about 20 minutes. The kids don't have mats or towels. We come in from recess and gets drinks of water. I play a book on tape or nursery rhymes - they love singing along. During this time they use the bathroom too.

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2010

Its so hard to think that there are places that still have naps in kinder. I mean I'm not disagreeing with it as I would LOVE it, but no where around here allows it.

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 27, 2010

The past few years when I stopped having rest time in January, the other teachers thought I was nuts. You would have thought I was handing out multiplication worksheets or something. They thought it was so inappropriate that I did away with it.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 28, 2010

Here too. I don't know of any Kinder classes in our area who allow rest time. There is just too much to fit into the day already (not agreeing with it, that's just their justification).

11. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Aug 28, 2010

I have 20-30 minutes of rest time everyday! After a few months I allow them to look at books during this time. I am a huge supporter of it! The kids really need the down time to regroup and be ready for the afternoon!

12. prissy1

prissy1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2010

This year I am having my kids either sit or lay on towels. I put on an alphabet or phonics video and they watch and learn while I pull intervention kids. We do it for about 25 minutes. Once they get their letters and sounds we will move on to quiet reading time. They love both and so far so good. I have heard them repeating the rhymes for writing letters during our writing time. It also gives me a chance to set up for math and science.

13. LadyGil

LadyGil Rookie

Aug 28, 2010

I have about 30 to 40 minutes of rest time each day. They each have a mat. From the very beginning I let the kids know that they don't have to go to sleep, but they do have to keep their bodies on their mat the entire time. I have a slow, instrumental CD that I have them listen to. There are usually 2-3 kids that just don't want to be still or think they need a tissue every 5 minutes. I just have to be sure to lay down the law! :) I think the kids especially need rest time at the beginning of the year and have always toyed with the idea of not having it second semester. Most years, the kids behave well and I can usually get some stuff done at my desk, but this last year I put an end to rest time after spring break. Rest time had turned into a headache because of a couple of kids that just wouldn't settle down and I decided I'd rather be teaching them then spending 30 min. getting after a couple of kids over and over... The other K teacher thought I was crazy, but I was happy with my decision. I'm a little surprised that we do get to have rest time because I think the rest of the K classes in our county don't have it. (sorry this was so lengthy)

14. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Aug 28, 2010

We have 30 minutes of rest time each day. We do have mats and the kids can cover up with beach towels. However, by January, we are phasing it out and eventually there is no nap time from February to the end of the school year.

I find that this year, most of my students are napping. This tells me that their bodies need the rest. They are so tired by this point that they need to take the time to grow their brains. Just my :twocents:

15. backtoK

backtoK Rookie

Aug 29, 2010

About a year and half ago, my EC department sent around a memo-No More Naps. They said that we had too much to cover. After lunch/recess they will have about 10-15 minute quite time. If someone falls asleep, they must need it. I will not wake them up.

16. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2010

I call it quiet time, too or music time and it's only for about 5-10 minutes! I let them lay down on the carpet to cool off and rest and we listen to music (I've been listening to Kenny Loggins House at Pooh Corner) Then when they sit up we have story time. :)

17. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 30, 2010

I have a prek/k combination split. Today was my first full day working with this (also first teaching experience). The preks lay down for nap while the kindergartners do a quiet work cycle/writing journal activity.

Also the prekinders get to rest for up to an hr... all 7 fell asleep. Not sure what I would do without rest time... but of course I ran out of instructional time today so I'm sure I could fill in the gaps.

18. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Aug 31, 2010

Rest time, we have none! School is from 8:30-3:20. Kids arrive as early as 7:30 for breakfast. Crazy, crazy!

19. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Sep 1, 2010

We have rest time. At the beginning we go 45 minutes (first 15 is Sustained Silent Reading, last 30 is actual nap time), but by October we'll be down to 15 SSR and 15 rest time. By January I re-evaluate and depending on the group may just do SSR or keep the naps. This year almost all the kids fall asleep every day, but that is very unusual! Since our birthday cutoff is October 1, we have a few 4 year olds this year, so maybe that's it.

20. minnie

minnie Cohort

Sep 1, 2010

I NEVER had a class that actually napped. I would play quiet music and they would whisper to eachother and be silly so now I just let them get a book from our reading corner and they can "camp out" around the room and read or look at books with a buddy. I sometimes wish they would nap though because I certainly could use one at that time of day (right after lunch). :p

21. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Sep 2, 2010

Amen to that! If you "can't" have rest time, you can have what minnie does or sustained silent reading time where they happen to be in some cozy situation, and if any really need to snooze they will. :)

22. I<3Kinder

I<3Kinder Rookie

Sep 2, 2010

I teach a full day Kinder (8 to 3) and my school doesn't like to call it nap time so we call it quiet time... There is not enough space in my classroom to allow students to lie down and my school will not provide mats or allow parents to bring mats. Therefore I allow my students to bring a small pillow/blanket/stuffed animal to rest with. Occasionally I have students who try to get tissues and drinks or play with they resting item but I am firm that if I have to talk to them during rest time they will loose their free time at the end of the day. Usually after one day of watching everyone else having fun cures it. My class this year is full of boys... and only 4 girls... but even the boys will calm down. Not all of them fall asleep but they all need that 20 minutes of being calm... makes a big difference for me! I plan it 20 minutes before afternoon snack so those who do fall asleep can continue to do so for some extra time.

23. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Sep 5, 2010

I had rest time last year. I have decided to do more of a quiet time this year in the afternoon when needed. I have Drop Everything and Read time. I also have read aloud times where the students may lay on mats while listening. If they fall asleep, I am okay with that. Regardless, they must remain silent during this 30 minute period. I will repost later and let you guys know if I change it up.

24. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Sep 5, 2010

We will start with an hour of rest time every day (teachers can determine how long rest/nap time will be). I have a few students who are young (under 5), so by the late afternoon they will (hopefully) want to take a break. I will stagger it down from an hour, to 30 min, to 20min, to ending it as they get ready to go into first grade.

25. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Sep 8, 2010

We don't have "nap time" in our school district..we do book tubs every day, where students find a quiet place to sit and look at books..I have debated what time to do this-I would like to do it right after lunch, but i feel I have to move right after lunch to math and other things before they are totally done..I have tried doing it the last 15 minutes of the day, and it has seemed to work well..

26. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Sep 8, 2010