Rest Time: How do you manage it?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Silmarienne, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Jun 2, 2008

I am interested to know how others manage their rest time. Specifically,

1. How long is your rest time?
    2. When do you have rest time?
    3. Do they lie on the floor, or put heads down on tables/desks?
    4. Do they use blankets/mats from home? Carpet Squares?
    5. How do you address disturbances, so as not to disrupt the time for others?
    6. Do you play music/videos?
    7. Do you allow reading, or is it rest-only?

Thanks!!

3. gateachermom

gateachermom Rookie

Jun 2, 2008

We haven't had nap in quite a while, but I answered the questions for when I used to have it.

1. How long is your rest time? started off with an hour and weaned them to nothing by the end of the year
    2. When do you have rest time? after lunch (around 12:00)
    3. Do they lie on the floor, or put heads down on tables/desks? floor
    4. Do they use blankets/mats from home? Carpet Squares? mats from home w/ blankets
    5. How do you address disturbances, so as not to disrupt the time for others? I told them from the get go, no talking. you don't have to sleep, but you must be quiet. i didn't let the non sleepers play or read
    6. Do you play music/videos? instrumental, soft music
    7. Do you allow reading, or is it rest-only? rest only, i feel that it encourages others not to sleep

4. cocacola

cocacola Rookie

Jun 2, 2008

I am the same way. We only had rest time for the first few weeks (no more than like first month or so)
    1. usually no longer than 30 min (none of mine ever seem to go to sleep) more than 30 min and they are getting antsy

2. We have resource (pe, library, music), etc.. so we rested after that, but after lunch would work as well

3. Some teachers have them put heads down, we just laid on the floor and they could bring towels to lie on. They took towels home weekly and washed them.

Student that choose to roll around/talk/ disturb are moved away and if they continue have consequence (recess time lost, etc..) It can help to assign them places to lie so they go the same place every day and you can control who is near each other.

Yes I play music! The more soothing the better chance for them to fall asleep. Mine is piano christmas music actually. They don't notice that it's christmas music. Music without words is better, because they might try to sing along if they know it :).

While we do have rest time I try to make it rest only. If they are allowed to look at books, that can cause them to constantly want to be up trying to change books out.

5. Merrie777

Merrie777 Rookie

Jun 2, 2008

We have a quiet time after lunch about 20 minutes. During this time a few go to the bathroom at a time and the rest put their heads down on the tables.

6. kem

kem Companion

Jun 2, 2008

We have a quiet rest time for about 20-30 min (depending on the day and season!) after our lunch/recess. We have rest mats, and at the beginning of the year (6 wks maybe??) I was very strict about kids resting quietly. I played quiet music, and also rubbed backs. Gradually I added that they may read books, then books or puzzles, then books, puzzles or coloring. Until the last couple of months, they had to stay at their rest mats. Now, they may choose a quiet activity/location in the room as long as they are not bothering others. Sometimes I show a video during quiet rest too-but it is never one that is mandatory viewing.

7. sfteach

sfteach Rookie

Jun 3, 2008

Rest

We have a 30 minute rest right after lunch everyday. The kids have rest blankets/towels at school at we lay them out strategically so that when they get back into the room they put their lunch away and find their spot. We listen to a story on tape and the kids love it. They are expected to rest during this time- not necessarily sleeping, but not playing, reading books, or talking.

Hope this helps.

8. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Jun 4, 2008

THANKS so much for the perspectives. Sfteach, I LOVE the idea of having them arrange their blankets before lunch. One of the big problems I had this year was the restless ones constantly rearranging their blankets; that would preclude that nicely. I think that towels also is a good idea. Some of the blankets kids bring in are huge and require help folding so they aren't taking up half the floor space. I'm still considering "no blankets", they have carpet squares and can be on a carpet in addition.

Let me guess, George Winston's "December"? Classic. :)

9. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2008

In my son's class they have what is called "tummy time". They have mats, no blankets or anything of the like, and they just lay on the mats for 15-20 (I think) minutes. They are allowed to read books or they can lay there quietly.

10. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jun 4, 2008

Some of the schools I sub at have it and some don't! I will answer the questions for the ones that do:
    How long is your rest time? about 30-45 mins. sometimes longer if the teacher says I can go longer.
    When do you have rest time? Always in the afternoon like 1-2 somewhere in there
    Do they lie on the floor, or put heads down on tables/desks? on the floor
    Do they use blankets/mats from home? Carpet Squares? they bring either or both from home blankets and mats and if they have a blanket or towel then fridays they take it home to wash it
    How do you address disturbances, so as not to disrupt the time for others? I move there clip or they loose recess
    Do you play music/videos? music they teacher usually has some kind of cd for me to play
    Do you allow reading, or is it rest-only? its only rest time except for close to the end of the year when you are trying to get them ready for 1st grade and then the are allowed 2-3 books a kid and no getting up to change them at all.

Special ed does this also but it varies on the teacher some show videos and some play music. Also, the K teachers show movies on special occasions or like the last day before a break or near the end of the year.

11. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jun 4, 2008

We have a quiet time each day after lunch/recess. The kids get to lay on the rug while I read to them. They may bring stuffed animals to hold while I read. We do it for about 10-15 minutes, to get them calm and relaxed before our writing time.

12. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Jun 7, 2008

Thanks, everyone.

13. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 7, 2008

In my preschool we have rest time, but there is no rest time in the local kindergarten.

1. How long is your rest time? 30 min max
    2. When do you have rest time? first we have lunch and the quiet games, books, puzzles and then rest from 1:35-2:05
    3. Do they lie on the floor, or put heads down on tables/desks? they lie on their mats that are on the floor
    4. Do they use blankets/mats from home? Carpet Squares? school bought mats that are labeled with individual children's names, well two names per mat because they are double sided and are wiped down with clorox
    5. How do you address disturbances, so as not to disrupt the time for others?Well mats are strategically placed, but sometimes children are asked to move their head to the other side of the mat or to face the other way. If all else fails that child is placed in a different place in the room- which rarely if ever happens. It might happen once a year.
    6. Do you play music/videos? Yes, we have three or four different nap time cds
    7. Do you allow reading, or is it rest-only? Most of the time it is rest only, but very randomly we allow books- if it is apparent no one will rest that day and no one NEEDS it.

14. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 7, 2008

Rest time?! What is that?! We barely get 30 minutes for recess! Our principal would have a coronary if we had rest time!

15. Kteacher06

Kteacher06 Companion

Jun 9, 2008

That's funny because I was always under the impression that rest time was mandatory for early childhood.

Anyway, we have mats that are assigned to students as far as placement in the room. Each child has a blanket that I provided for them (actually it's just large pieces of fleece I got on clearance!). I read one chapter from Junie B. Jones while the students get settled (with blankets and getty comfy) and then I put on soft music. The kiddos need to lie quietly and if they aren't I remind them or move them. We start our the year with a 45-minute rest period and then move to a 20 minute rest period (this is when my para is on her break) towards the end of the year. Occasionally I'll show a video for a treat.

16. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Jun 11, 2008

Nice way of working it, KTeacher06. This being a private school, and K being new to the school, I can kind of try what I think works best, within reason. (Thank God!!) We have a long-ish day-- 8:10-3:10. Most of the kids definitely need some kind of break.

17. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Jun 11, 2008

When I had Pre-school we would rest after lunch on mats for 30 mins minimum. We placed the children's sheet bag on the mat and the children had to make their own beds or get a friend to help them. It was a good cooperative exercise. The curtains were closed, the air-con at a comfortable temperature and instrumental music (Kakadu by Tony O'Connor {it has birds, babbly brooks, lightning and the patter of rain}, any one of Tony O'Connor's music is very relaxing with no crescendos - he's an Australian guy so probably not available in the US). The rule was to stay on the mat and be quiet. The students were encouraged to rest their body's and minds. Resting was staying still and not fidgeting. I once had 19 out of 20 asleep!! But it was never repeated! The children put their mats away and went to tables for quiet activities.

This year I am teaching children who are 6 months older (4.5 years to 5.5 years). We don't have an official rest time but what I call 'cool down' time after lunch time and they come in from playing outside. They find it very difficult to calm down when they have been hyped up. I still do the curtains and music but we don't have mats (which I'm glad).

18. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Jun 11, 2008

If you are allowing the children to sleep, don't forget they need to be woken up. You need to allow time to do this as some children were extremely difficult to wake up and others who did, would wet themselves.

When my children went to one kindy, they did not wake the children, it was the parents (usually mothers who woke up their child when they came to collect). At the pre-school they went to, it was the staff so your child was awake and ready to be taken home.

Before we started rest time at school, all the children had to have a drink and go to the toilet if they wanted. Then when it was rest time, there was no toilet, no water and this was communicated to the children to not even ask because the answer would be 'no'. This was to stop those who did not like resting messing about because once one went to the toilet there could be 4 of them there.

19. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 11, 2008

I have rest time in my room for the first six weeks of school. It is no more than about 15 minutes and I read chapter books or play chapter books on CD while they wait. I can't imagine having any more than that. By the way, we go to school from 8:00 to 3:00.

20. KinBama

KinBama Rookie

Jun 14, 2008

Ohhh...rest time! :) I have taught Kinder for the past 2 years and each year it was completely different. I will answer these questions about the first year~
    How long is your rest time? 30 minutes
    When do you have rest time? at the end of the day - as decided by my school
    Do they lie on the floor, or put heads down on tables/desks? lie on the floor
    Do they use blankets/mats from home? Carpet Squares? mats were purchased at meet and greet
    How do you address disturbances, so as not to disrupt the time for others? move their clip
    Do you play music/videos? yes, instrumental lullabies
    Do you allow reading, or is it rest-only? rest only\

This past year, I did not have a single kiddo sleep, so I turned it into Technology Time and we played games on our Promethean board (interactive white board).

21. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Jun 19, 2008

Rest time is a MUST in our kindergartens, because our kids do NOT get enough sleep at night and we are an early start school (*doors open at 7, school officially starts at 7:45).

Rest time is about an hour long, adding about 10 min for put down/pick up of mats and covers. We allow ours to bring mats (but don't encourage them because of space). They usually bring covers or towels to sleep with. Rest is after lunch. We get back at about 12:45 and immediately students go in rows from their carpet seats to the bathroom, taking turns. I read a story during this time. Everyone MUST use the bathroom before we begin rest time. Unless you are about to have an accident you do not get up at rest, and I start that from day 1. There is no talking, reading, etc. I do play lullaby, classical, or water music, and that helps calm them down. Chilren that talk are moved, and that happens more if I am up moving around. If I sit and do work at my desk for a few minutes ineviteably (sp?) they all fall asleep. Every year there is one or two who are just past the napping. Once everyone else is asleep, if they've laid quietly I let them get on computers for a few minutes. If I find my kids don't need as long a rest time towards the end I'll wean it down to about 35 minutes, some years that happens, some it doesn't. Honestly some days I need them to rest almost as much as they do!! :) HTH.

22. new2k

new2k New Member

Jun 20, 2008

Yes we rest

Rest time is anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes depending on how tired they are. We rest soon after lunch time. We require them to bring a towel or kindermat from home. If they don't have one then they generally lay on the carpet. We do this for the entire first semester of school and then after that we put heads down for short periods when we feel that they need the time. For me, I play a quiet game with them. If I don't have to talk to them, they get stickers on their behavior charts. After 20 stickers they get in the trasure box. I usually play some soft music. This year it was rest only but next year we intend to let them color, read, or rest as long as they are quiet and in their space.

23. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 20, 2008

I can't believe how many of you can have rest time! I'm so jealous! Our poor children are exhausted and fussy for the first few months and I know rest time would help this! We have them from 7:40-2:45 with no rest time and only one 30 minute recess!

24. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jun 21, 2008

I can't belive you are complaining cuz' of the no rest time. I mean look you only have the little ones till 2:45. Most people go till bout 3-3:30 with most of the schools out there. Our schools go till 3pm but for the teachers with bus or carpool duty it could go till 3:30pm.

25. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Jun 23, 2008

MandaNicole, maybe you could have a quiet read-aloud time or quiet music/video time that could substitute at least somewhat for a rest.

mandagap, if you look at the hours MandaNicole has them it's the same as everyone else's, about seven hours.

26. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Jun 29, 2008

I actually think people that have early starts need the nap more because their kids are getting up earlier. My kids have to be at the bus stop by 6:45!! (And since my kids are pretty poor their parents often work until 10 and they don't get home from a sitters or go to bed until 11, or their parents let them stay up until 2 playing video games! :( )

27. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 29, 2008

Oh goodness! I didn't mean for that to be read as whiny! I just think the rest of you are very lucky! 2:45 is when our walkers and parent pickup kids are dismissed. The last bus doesn't run until 3:15! So don't worry, I'm not getting home early to watch Dr. Phil or anything! :)

Silmarienne - Yes, I'm planning on doing storytime right after lunch...it's so hard for the children to calm down after lunch. I'm thinking about just having them rest their heads on their tables for 5 minutes or so and then reading a story. I've read about teachers using yoga in the classroom...we won't call it that but doing some stretching and balancing for a few minutes to some calming music might work too! We aren't allowed to show videos except for special occassions...I plan on showing something on PBS (Sesame Street or Mr. Rogers) during bus time so I can use that valuable time for preparing for the next day! I was going to let them play but when their bus is called they have no time to pick up toys and I definitely don't want to spend 10 minutes afterschool picking up toys!

love2teachk - I'm with you! My little guys stand in the dark waiting for the bus...and like you most have been up half the night! If not playing videogames, listening to mom and dad/boyfriend fight!!!:(

28. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Jun 30, 2008

MandaNicole, we do stretches after morning meeting to get their juices flowing for math. They LOVE it!!!