Responsive Classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by hp123, Feb 22, 2007.

1. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 22, 2007

Hi,

Has anyone taken the Responsive Classroom training? I have heard of it, and it sounds wonderful...would really love to learn more about it!

Thanks!

3. juc162

juc162 Companion

Aug 26, 2007

Sorry to get back to you so late. I just had the responsive classroom training this summer. I'd love to share. PM me if you're still interested.

4. firstgrade

firstgrade Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

Responsive classroom is WONDERFUL!! I learned a little about it when I was student teaching in a responsive classroom school, and this summer I took the training. I just love it. Unfortunately I just got a job in a school that doesn't see the wonders of RC (responsive classroom). There are two books out there that I recommend. The first is "the First Six Weeks of School" which gives you an overview of RC and gives you a goals for each week, and a sample schedule. The focus of the first six weeks of school is not yet on academics, but the social part. RC believes that the social curriculum is just as important as the academic curriculum. We can assume NOTHING and must model everything the way we can it done. There is a specific set of social skills that children need in order to be successful in the classroom. They are:

Cooperation
    Assertion (be able to advocate for themselves)
    Responsibility
    Empathy
    Self control

I hope that helps...there is so much information with RC. But if you don't have "the first seix weeks of school", I would invest in that. If you do decide to use a little of responsive classroom, and have a morning meeting each morning, I would recommend "The Morning Meeting Book". Both are written by Roxann Kriete. Let me know if you want more information! It really is a great thing!

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 26, 2007

I have used it for about 2 years and also attended the week long training - the week long workshop is invaluable - the best workshop/training/seminar, etc I've ever attended. You break out into grade specific groups, so it's very specific to your grade level. I love RC, although some people find is a little too 'touchy feely' - but that is exactly what I love about it... the kids really respond to it and I find my classroom much more peaceful and cooperative. Do you have any specific questions?

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 26, 2007

I know a little bit about responsive classroom and what I know I love! We use Make Your Day at our school and our principal doesn't like us mixing in programs. But I do use aspects of it in my classroom. I'd love to know more, but I don't know if they'd ever send me to a workshop.

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2007

I too just did the one week Responsive Classroom training this summer and it was the BEST workshop and best training i have ever done! It changed my thinking about kids and learning and teaching too. I recommend it 100% to any teacher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 26, 2007

Would you share some of the topics which are covered in the workshop?

9. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Aug 26, 2007

I went to a responsive classroom workshop with my cooperating teacher. It was really interesting, but they didn't teach us about all aspects since it will be changing in November.

It basically has 4 components: greeting, sharing, activity, and morning message (announcements/news).

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 26, 2007

The 4 components you are talking about goes with just morning meeting. It's only a small part of responsive classroom.

11. juc162

juc162 Companion

Aug 26, 2007

Within responsive classroom there is also academic choice, teacher language, logical rules and consequences, and, parent communication. I am going to try it in my room this year and see how it works out.

12. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2007

... and guided discovery- I thought the best parts were morning meeting and logical consequences but everything was fascinating!!Check out the responsive classroom website for more info...They have one day overview workshops too but I definitely recommend the week long one since there is so much to cover. I don't feel like I even have my feet wet after going for a week. I am planning on attending RC2 next summer...

www.responsiveclassroom.org

13. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2007

I did buy The First Six Weeks of School and the Morning Meeting Book, but I had to put it to the side for Literacy Work Stations by Debbie Diller! I am in love with this book & decided that I wanted to get my mind thinking in the way of work stations so I can go to school tomorrow & begin rearranging my room for them.
    But...I will read those other two. I read a little of both, but it didn't spark my interest enough to keep reading. But I vow to pick up where I left off as soon as I get some things done. :up:

14. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Aug 26, 2007

Right, I meant the workshop we went to only covered the 4 components.

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 27, 2007

Oh sorry. Did you only go to the one day workshop? I went to the week long one and it covered all the topics but went into the most detail with morning meeting.

16. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 27, 2007

I've been doing RC for a few years... I hope to go to a workshop soon!

17. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Aug 27, 2007

It was supposed to be a week long, but it was condensed into 2 days. They said it was changed because they didn't want to cover too much info since there will be changes as of Nov.

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 27, 2007

Oh did they say what they are changing? I took the workshop last summer. I loved it. I want to go again.

19. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Aug 27, 2007

I wasn't really sure what they meant by the changes. But, they didn't want to give us too much info until the workshop in November.