Responsive Classroom

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by firstgurl85, Apr 1, 2011.

1. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

Apr 1, 2011

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anybody is using the responsive classroom model in their school. We have been told that we will be trained and implement it next year. If you use it: how was the transition for you? for the students? Did you feel like you had to change a lot of what you were doing? And why do you like (or dislike) it? Just wanted to get some insight as to what is coming! :thanks:

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 1, 2011

I implemented some aspects of responsive classroom this year, and I have really enjoyed it overall. The past few years I used reward charts, prizes, stickers, etc. I found it difficult to be consistent, and it was costly.

This year I use the following daily:
    -Morning Meeting
    -A take a break chair
    -Closing circle (not every day)
    -Class Meeting (every Wednesday)

Overall, the kids are just more responsible for their actions. I have always tried to have them work things out, tell others how they feel, etc., but this year I really take the time to do this. They are applying many of the problem-solving strategies that they have learned, and I feel like my classroom runs more smoothly. I have very few discipline problems, and the kids don't ask for rewards when they do something good (which drove me CRAZY before!).

I think it would be even more fun to implement with first-graders than with my kinders! There are a lot of activities, lessons, and greetings I would love to use, but my kids are just too young.

4. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Apr 1, 2011

I was trained in RC before my first year in the classroom so I can't say how it changed my teaching or what effect it had on my management style. I am planning to take a refresher course if I get rehired by the current district though. Part of me is considering signing up for this summer, but after getting a pink slip, well...you know how it goes :)

Morning meeting is great and the break chair is a life saver! I also try to introduce materials RC style however, I work with very tough students and find that it has not removed all of my management issues. Thus the desire for a refresher course and RC II.

5. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

Apr 8, 2011

thanks for your input! I am looking forward to learning more!
    :)