Respect?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DenaliBear, Nov 2, 2009.

1. DenaliBear

DenaliBear Rookie

Nov 2, 2009

Hi there. I'm new to the forum and I came across a very interesting topic. It mentioned earning respect from your students.

My question to all you teachers is: How do you earn respect from your students?

When you say "I expect them to behave and lay down the law", what exactly does that mean?

Is this kind of like having an "alpha" personality with dogs?

Any insight would be appreciated, I find this very interesting.

3. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Nov 2, 2009

I think you earn respect from your students by showing them the same respect you expect them to show you.

I teach middle school and I am known as the "strict" teacher. But, my students like me (most of them, anyway!), they know I care about them and they respect me. I don't belittle my students or play favorites. I'll be just as quick to give my "good" students a detention for breaking the rules as I would my "bad" students. Once they see that you're fair and you care about them, you're golden in their book!

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 2, 2009

I'm also in middle school, so the "fairness" issue is big with them. I teach my expectations and procedures, and that's how we do things. No surprises. Rules apply to everybody, even though there is "wiggle room" to meet the needs of individual students.

I treat them with respect, and I let them know that I care for them. I do not, however, "baby" them or act as their friend.

5. DenaliBear

DenaliBear Rookie

Nov 2, 2009

That actually sounds a lot like being a leader to your pack! Very interesting. Thanks for your responses.