Respect

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by JenPooh, Jun 30, 2006.

1. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2006

How would you explain what respect is to a 4 year old?

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 30, 2006

Let me think. We do character building and that is one of the 6 pillars. I have a few SIMPLE books. Let's see... one talks about not talking bad about people, listening when others are speaking, OH GOODNESS I can't think of it! We read this book DAILY during the RESPECT month! I had some that could fill in the blanks if I stopped at the next to the last word when reading the sentence. THEN I would say... If you talk when I'm reading a story, are you showing me respect and they would say "NO!!!!!" lol

We also did the story NO DAVID and after each page I would say, "Is David showing his mom respect?" They said "NO!" Then I would reinforce with... No he isn't. He didn't listen to her when she said not to play ball in the house... or not cleaning up his room when asked, etc.

Here is a list of books that are about RESPECT
    http://bcmnc.blount.k12.al.us/respectbooklist.htm

http://bcmnc.blount.k12.al.us/character_education_links.htm you might find some simple activities on here for Respect.

Let me see if I can find the ones on PreschoolByStormie...
    http://www.preschoolbystormie.com/fcharactered.htm
    http://www.preschoolbystormie.com/acharactered.htm

ANYTHING about showing manners has to do with respect. Showing respect toward others at the table... not belching really loud on purpose... so respect by saying excuse me if one slips out by accident.

OH, showing examples of how to talk to others... role play... speak nice to someone then in the same situation speak hateful then ask, which is showing respect.
    "May I play with that toy?" or "GIVE ME THAT TOY NOW!!"
    "Let me hold the door for you" or "GET OUT OF MY WAY!!"

Not making fun of those with disabilties but making friends with them instead.

if i think of anything else, i'll let you know!

4. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Jun 30, 2006

Our school definition is "treating yourself and others in a way that shows they are important."

5. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jun 30, 2006

My son is particularly respectful for a five year old, so I all I can tell you is how we approached it with him.

We explained to him that respect is ou way of showing other people that we care about ourselves and others. Part of respecting ourselves and others is using our good manners. Good manners show people that we care about ourselves as well as them.

We explain that RESPECT is GIVEN - not earned. People earn trust- not respect. We give respect to others at all times and it is not dependent on how they treat us. If another person takes our toy - we still show them respect by using our good manners. We say "please may i have my toy back now?"

We have a series of books that were pricey but good called the "Help me be good" series - it goes over about 30 different scenarios of bad behavior (greed, tattling, whining, yelling, etc.) each in its own book. The books have great illustrations and are really well written - they don't baby talk or condescend.

HTH

~J

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2006

Those are all great guys! Thanks. We talk about respect a lot in our home, and with my daycare kids. A day or two ago my son asked me what respect means. I explained it best I could by giving him examples, but he is the type who likes "definitions". So, in my mind I'm thinking "well, respect is just respect". So, I needed some handy thoughts on how to explain the term to him. I think I have a good idea now what to say. If anyone has anymore, please feel free. Thanks again! :D

7. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jun 30, 2006

How about the Golden Rule _ treating others the way you want to be treated!

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2006

In my Sunday school class, our only rule was to show respectful behavior. My kids were 2-7. If anyone was doing anything that didn't belong in the classroom (yelling at me, breaking crayons, talking out of turn- interrupting, or during prayer, etc) we could always bring it down to "Are you showing respectful behavior?"

We started out with the golden rule- "How would you like it if Suzie yelled at you the way you just yelled at me?" and added on from there. ex "I came in early today to get these papers ready for our class. When you tear them, are you showing respect to me and my work? Are you respecting the other students who wanted to participate nicely?"