Respect, or lack thereof

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jmckernan, Sep 1, 2016.

1. jmckernan

jmckernan Rookie

Sep 1, 2016

I'm a career changer. Coming from an industry where I have enjoyed success and gained respect for my abilities and knowledge. These abilities and knowledge should translate directly towards teaching.
    I find it sad and disappointing that even though the district I am applying to is experiencing a severe teacher shortage, the culture is such that applicants are treated like dirt. I assume that this culture is a hold over from times of plenty, but it is clearly turning qualified applicants away. I am a grown up and I understand that differing criteria may be applied to each opening. I understand that someone else may have an edge of some sort that gives them priority. I understand that the world is not fair. But it is still shocking to me that this district seems to see nothing wrong with being rude to potential prospects. I chose to apply here due to proximity as well as being my child's school system. Granted, the district's attitude isn't the average teacher's attitude. But it does cause me to question if my child is getting a quality education if this rude attitude is reflected from the top down.
    First thought is...this is the reason there is a shortage here. But no, the entire region is experiencing shortages.
    Frustrating and disappointing.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 3, 2016

What did they do that was rude?