Resources to teach note taking to middle schoolers

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by bholm83, Nov 2, 2017.

1. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Nov 2, 2017

Does anyone have any good resources on how to teach note taking to middle schoolers (6-8th graders)? Right now I'm trying to develop graphic organizers (mind maps, matrices etc.) that can help students classify, categorize etc. information. I'm very new at this, and while I'm familiar with cornell notes I'm thinking that is a bit too much autonomy for them right now. I feel they need a bit more structure and scaffolding at this age so they get the big idea when we are having discussions and/or mini lectures in class.
    If you have any good graphic organizers you use for students to fill in when they are listening and taking notes, I'd love to see them. This definitly isn't my area of expertise :(

Thanks for the help!

3. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Nov 4, 2017

Our art teachers are teaching their students how to create visual notes. This is new for everyone and I don't have many students in their classes, but we have had a few of their students sit in during teacher collaboration. Never once did I see their heads up and pencils off the page. We are reviewing them next week. It will be interesting tp see what they took away from our discussion. And I know that nothing was just copied from a presentation.
    https://pencils.com/guide-to-visual-note-taking/
    https://www.jetpens.com/blog/sketchnotes-a-guide-to-visual-note-taking/pt/892

4. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 4, 2017

It's great if you have all the time in the world, but usually notes are taken during lectures or as part of a larger reading assignment.

5. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 4, 2017

Here is the biggest issue with note taking... We tend to focus on the process rather than the need. You point out that they need to get the "bit idea". It doesn't matter if they have a graphic organizer, an outline, or a drawing as someone else pointed out. They need to understand breaking down ideas and identifying key information. How they note that information is mostly irrelevant.

The key to teaching note taking is to make your lessons accessible to them in a way that the key points and necessary details are obvious. Teach them to learn the connections. That may be by you taking notes while you teach and then following up lessons on how this information fits together and why it is important compared to a detail you added for impact.

The reality is that note taking is really summarizing important information from what you are hearing, seeing, and reading. How it is organized is the frosting on the cake. Sadly most resources don't teach the skills needed to identify the important information.

6. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Nov 5, 2017

thanks for the help guys