Resources needed for The Westing Game

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Ali, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Ali

Ali Companion

Mar 27, 2006

Does anyone know of any teacher resources for The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin other than Novel Ties. I am looking for some activities to do with the book that are not too difficult because my primary focus is on understanding the book and solving the mystery. Thanks in advance for any help!:angel:

3. wig

wig Devotee

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 27, 2006

Did your students enjoy the book?

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

6. Ali

Ali Companion

Mar 27, 2006

I read this novel with my 5th graders last year and they really liked it. It's tough and thats why I wanted to really focus on understanding the book with a few activities as we go. Thanks for the sites~I'll check tham out. P.S. The Westing Game ranked second with my kiddos last year. Second to Walk Two Moons.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 27, 2006

Thanks for the feedback. My kids didn't enjoy Walk Two Moons. This class has me stumped as far as pleasing them with read-alouds. (One of my 5th grade students read Girl With The Pearl Earring for her last book report. She comprehended it and explained the relationship delicately in her report!)

8. Ali

Ali Companion

Mar 27, 2006

I have never read Girl with the Pearl Earring, so I can't really respond to that. I am shocked, however, that your class did not enjoy Walk Two Moons! This is the 5th year that I have done it with my kiddos and it is the long-standing favorite!

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2006

My kids hated Walk Two Moons last year too.

This year the favorite has been Hatchet or Frindle. At least those are the 2 they talk most about :)

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 28, 2006

Mine weren't even thrilled with Frindle. They didn't much like My Side of the Mountain or even Because of Winn Dixie, except for a couple of kids. They like to read, but are all pretty sure of their specific tastes in books. Sheesh. I'm finishing Dear Levi now and they like it but aren't crazy about it. I have a feeling they will love Number the Stars, though.

11. wig

wig Devotee

Mar 28, 2006

I can't say they loved "The Westing Game" although they enjoyed the games on the first site I listed. They were OK with the book. Their favorite was "Watsons Go to Birmingham" and "House of Dies Drear".

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 28, 2006

We finished Dear Levi today and they gave it a 4 out of 5. We rate all the read-alouds and post the titles and ratings on the wall. Finally, they liked something.

13. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Apr 22, 2006

I read Book One (of 6) in a new series called "On the Run" by Gordon Korman. This was the hit so far this year ... I read everyday so this may be a good omen! I purchased the book through Scholastic. We just finished "Small Steps" by Louis Sacher. This is a sequel to Holes and another popular one with my 5th Graders.

14. Mrs.Teacher

Mrs.Teacher New Member

Apr 22, 2006

Westing Game Idea

Ali,

My daughter's teacher last year read them The Westing Game, then got together with the Science teacher for an interdisciplinary CSI project. The kids LOVED it! Crime scene tape, vials, the whole nine yards- they got to do stuff like on the hit TV show, and learned science AND the book's theme all at the same time!