Resources for research?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by MissEducation, Nov 17, 2009.

1. MissEducation

MissEducation Companion

Nov 17, 2009

I'm a new teacher so I don't have my stockpile of teaching resources yet. We're beginning research projects and it's a daunting amount of planning. Just wondering if anyone had some favorite websites, books, lesson plans that you do during research projects? I have been browsing online but most websites I've found are geared toward high school/college or are the "research papers for sale" type - great :| I teach 8th grade. TIA :)

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 17, 2009

I'm looking for good worksheets with MLA format. Like, practice putting sources into proper format. Any ideas?

4. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Nov 17, 2009

I would love to help you, but I have a few clarifying questions.

What part of a writing a research paper are you looking for help on? Are students going to be able to use the internet for research or library resources only? How much experience do students have working on a research paper, and what is it? What is the topic of the research paper?

5. MissEducation

MissEducation Companion

Nov 18, 2009

They are 8th graders, so while they have done types of research before, they haven't done a true research paper. (Most of them admitted to me that they flat out plagiarized their research reports last year!) They are allowed to use the internet for all 6 of their sources as long as one is a magazine or newspaper and as long as they can show that each source is reliable, accurate and not biased. (This is what we've been talking about this week.)

I allowed them to choose their own topics with my approval. Many of them are doing biographies. They are not persuasive research papers, just informative. Hope this helps!

Miss Celia, have you checked out the OWL website? I don't know for sure about what you're looking for, but I know they often have printable handouts. Just google Purdue OWL and it should pop up.

6. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 18, 2009