Resource

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by somedayteacher, Nov 2, 2006.

1. somedayteacher

somedayteacher Rookie

Nov 2, 2006

There is a school that calls me fairly often (3-4 days/week), but they almost always give me expanded resource or CDC pre-school. I'm starting to think it's intentional. If that's the case, I can think of a few possible reasons.

A. Nobody else wants to do them, and they know I'll say yes.
    B. They don't think I'm capable of running a class without assistants.
    C. They think I'm especially good at special ed.
    D. Special ed classes as a rule just have more teacher absences proportionally to regular teachers due to IEP meetings and workshops.

Now I may be jumping to conclusions, as it's only been a couple weeks that they've started having me sub regularly, but I seem to be getting an awful lot of special ed jobs here.

What do you think?

I really need to sub more classes in regular ed, especially K, at this school to prove myself so they'll think of me for the maternity leave position coming up in February for K.

-Paula

3. Shane Steinmetz

Shane Steinmetz Rookie

Nov 4, 2006

I'm going to say "A" and "C." If the school system wasn't satisfied with your performance or didn't trust your competence in running a general education classroom, they certainly wouldn't enturst you with students that have special needs! You do have assistants, but if they put more trust in the assistants than you, they'd probably just save money on their budget and lift their concerns at the same time by making the assistant the substitute.

The most popular calls I receive are for the really early grades and middle school. Now, I also receive calls for this one "nightmare" high school I substituted at before. It seems they often need people for special education.

I'm flattered. I think you should be, too. :) Clearly, you've demonstrated competence in an area or classroom, and they just love you having you work that area so much they keep wanting you to come back!

Well, okay, that's you... ... in my case, I think those calls come out of need and the fact that no one else wants to seem to go to that particular high school or do those particular middle school classes! I feel good serving a function, though. :)

4. srh

srh Devotee

Nov 4, 2006

Wow, that was a good answer! Made me smile for somedayteacher! :-D

5. somedayteacher

somedayteacher Rookie

Nov 4, 2006

Well, they need 3 adults in the room; so they can't just have the assistants be the substitute. Thanks for your response. Do you think I'd still be considered for the maternity leave k position if they only see me in special ed and resource?
    -Paula

6. srh

srh Devotee

Nov 4, 2006

I'll jump on that one. My observations about hiring have told me that your best bet is to TELL THEM you're interested! Don't wait for the "perfect moment"--make yourself known to the principal and then do a great job in whatever classroom you are placed. If you're not physically near the principal, stop by his office anyway (with an appointment if they follow strict protocol!). It is often the people who make their presence known who win the positions. It sounds like you already have made a name for yourself, so take advantage!

7. somedayteacher

somedayteacher Rookie

Nov 4, 2006

I have introduced myself to the principal and told her I really like the school, am certified, and would be interested in a long term. There is 1 K teacher and 1 music teacher expecting. I'm not certified in music though. I have actually subbed a half day for the k teacher and have subbed for PE for her class. She went to my college and I've talked to her on occasion.
    Many of the teachers and students are starting to recognize me as a regular and ask me who I am today.

The principal told me she bases her choice of long term subs on what teachers say about subs they've had. If I rarely get to sub for regular classes, I don't see how word will get to the principal about my ability as a K teacher.

8. srh

srh Devotee

Nov 4, 2006

You're doing all the right things then! Based on what you just said, I think I'd let her know what you would be interested in SPECIFICALLY. In other words, tell her you're doing a lot of subbing in SPED, etc., but your heart is really in "primary" or "music." It won't hurt for her to know you're willing to do whatever it takes to stay involved with the school...and that you HAVE been taking all the calls you get! I know that would impress my principal.

Also, ask the teacher(s) you're subbing for now to give you some feedback you can quote! In the conversation, you can let him/her know your situation also, and I'd bet you'd get a recommendation there too. In fact, at my school, in the spring, the principal asks staff if we know anyone who is looking for a teaching job (we're only five years old and still adding classes each year...). So make your desires known to the teachers you work with and keep doing that great job! :-D

9. somedayteacher

somedayteacher Rookie

Nov 4, 2006

I've told the assistants and other teachers that I'm certified and would like to teach full time, and they say that subbing is the way to do it. The CDC pre-k assistant says I do a good job and 1 of the very few times I got to sub a k class, another k teacher told me I did well. I've even nonchalnatly asked the office lady who calls me if any regular classes will be needing a sub next week, but she told me there were no opening right now. I don't want to irritate the teachers or principal or office people by mentioning it (wanting to sub for regular classes or wanting the long term K) too much though. That might have the opposite effect.

Would a certified but not in music teacher be allowed to teach a long term music sub?

The music teacher's daughter is in the pre-k class.

10. srh

srh Devotee

Nov 4, 2006

Hmmm...that's a good question. It would seem that if you're not certified in something like SPED, that you wouldn't need to be certifified in music to sub for music, wouldn't it?? And it sounds like you have background in music, so who knows! Sorry, I don't have a clue. And on the general side--you definitely have covered all the bases you can. Keep it up, and just be visible--you don't have to bug folks, just let them see you around! But also, you might want to expand your options and sub in other places. There's nothing more disappointing than putting all your eggs in one basket...and then having it upset. I don't think you have a lot to worry about, but it's like finances: diversify!! Good luck to you!

11. somedayteacher

somedayteacher Rookie

Nov 4, 2006

Well long terms sub is different than daily. I've been a daily sub in her music class a couple times. I don't have a music background. I sub at other schools 1-2 times a week, but mostly at this one school. I wouldn't feel right turning them down when I don't have a job yet for that day. I've only turned down half days because I want full days, and sometimes end up with nothing when I do that.

12. somedayteacher

somedayteacher Rookie

Nov 6, 2006

I worked at this school today, but I wonder if I've fallen out of favor. I got today's job through the automated system, rather than a human call like I'd been getting, and another sub was there for expanded resource today. On the upside, I got to teach a regular 3rd grade class.

13. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Nov 10, 2006

They like you because you are good at subbing specail ed. If you do not like it you can turn it down but You may want the expereince. Terry G.

14. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Nov 10, 2006

I'm guessing that the automated system called you because the teacher knew that he/she would be absent and called early...and the more types of classes you sub for, the more the principal will see what you can handle...always a plus when looking for a long term!

15. somedayteacher

somedayteacher Rookie

Nov 11, 2006

That is a plus, but why was I not called for the expanded resource like I had been? I'd rather teach 3rd than resource, but I found it odd that I was not called for it like I usually am.
    -Paula

16. srh

srh Devotee

Nov 11, 2006

This may sound rude, but it's just really direct....

You got what you wanted (a "regular" classroom, not special ed), but it sounds like you're still looking for approval...? You really should be satisfied with getting calls for both areas over the past few weeks! If it's a matter of your confidence (do you need a call to feel their "approval"?), you'll just have to build your confidence as you go. If there wasn't SOMETHING good about your teaching, in whichever area, I doubt they would keep calling. But seriously, you don't expect them to call and say, "Which class do you want to sub in," do you?

I can speak to this because I'm am somewhat the same way. For example, I'm in my second year in a school where many teachers would KILL to be hired (well, that's exaggerating a little!). Just last week I received a reply from a district where I submitted an application a year and a half ago! They said, "Thank you, but....." Well, I am THRILLED and PRIVILEGED to be working where I am, but my first thought went to, "Why didn't they call me for an interview??!" That insecurity is something I work on as a piece of my personality, and not just in this area!

I think you've proven to be a good teacher and employee for this district. But you have to prove to YOURSELF that you're good enough for whatever you're called to do. Be content where you are! And be grateful for getting the calls! Some are not so fortunate. :-D

17. somedayteacher

somedayteacher Rookie

Nov 11, 2006

I appreciate your directness. I do want approval because I want the long term. I don't want to stay where I am indefinitely. If they don't like me, I won't get it. The system calls everyone. Unless there's a complaint against you big enough for a school to remove you from the system's call list, everyone gets calls from it.

18. texasmom

texasmom Rookie

Nov 14, 2006

I was told in my sub orientation that the calling system's only job is to fill jobs. Since special ed isn't your first choice, I'd be willing to bet it's not a whole lot of people's first choices either (certainly not mine). Which only means that by the time your number is randomly called, all of the good jobs have already been taken and you're getting offered what's left over. It's nothing personal.

How I'm trying to "beat" the system is by calling it first (or logging into it), rather than waiting for it to call me. That way I get to choose from a list of jobs (if any are available at that moment) rather than pick from what's left over. When I call in the evening and first thing in the morning, the line is always busy and it takes me a few tries to get through, so obviously I'm not the only one doing this trick. ;-)

Michele

19. somedayteacher

somedayteacher Rookie

Nov 14, 2006

When I get special ed, it's usually not from the system but a secretary at the school. I always call the system. That's how I get a lot of my jobs when the one school hasn't booked me in advance.

If I don't have a job lined up, I set my alarm clock every 15-30 minutes starting around 6am and call the system until I get a job.

20. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 14, 2006

What "system" are you using?
    The schools in this area use Aesop.

21. somedayteacher

somedayteacher Rookie

Nov 14, 2006

Mine is called the sub finder system. It's automated phone.

22. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 14, 2006

OH! Aesop works on the computer and the telephone. I usually use the computer - it's easier.