Resource students and low fluency speed

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by jamoehope, Mar 19, 2009.

1. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Mar 19, 2009

A common concern I hear general education teachers telling me about my Resource students is that the students are reading far too slowly on the grade-level fluency tests that they take about every 6 weeks.

I always respond that the students are not reading at grade level (or they might not be receiving help in Resource) and that is why they read those so tests so slowly. Either they don't know the words or they try to read the words so carefully that they cannot read fast.

What do you think about Resource students and reading fluency at their grade level? How would you respond?

Thanks,
    Jamie

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2009

I will never understand why teachers get frustrated when resource/Special Ed students are struggling with grade level expectations. Of course they are--theat's why they are Resource!!! My opinion is that the students should be tested in fluency using passages at their level; that is where you can truly get an accurate picture.

(Sorry, cranky today--a few "discussions" took a lot out of me yesterday).

4. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Mar 24, 2009

I agree with MrsC - they are classified students in a special ed program for a reason. Why can't the gen ed teachers understand that?
    I would respond that their fluency is faster when reading on their individual reading levels and that they will continue to work on improving their reading skills (and add a silent "DUH" on to the end of the statement just for your own satisfaction!).

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2009

:lol::lol:

6. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Apr 2, 2009

I also tell the teachers that if the students are reading slowly AND correctly, then at least the students know the sounds!