Resource Math, help me out here!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by kaymurr, Dec 4, 2007.

1. kaymurr

kaymurr Rookie

Dec 4, 2007

I'm new to SPED this year and struggling with my one section of Resource Math. It's pull-out one hour per day, and these kids are at different grade levels and different skill levels to say *the least*. They also have reg ed math in their classrooms. All my other interventions are very scripted. We are not just reviewing what they do in class or anything like that. With this one however I have no curriculum, no schedule to follow, no nothin'. This is my largest group and they are all over the place. One can do two digit multiplication, another doesn't even have the concept of one-to-one correspondance. Some have really specific goals, like money and time--I have no idea how to keep taking data on that all year long--others problem solving. I'm just at a loss of what to do with them or how to move things along.:confused:

3. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2007

I would start on some basics. If you are given no curriculum and no supplies, that's really the best place to start. In our district, the resource classes have to follow the regular ed classes lesson plans, thus you would be provided with lesson plans and materials to carry out those plans. Is this not the case for you? The NCLB act makes it so every special education classroom is "performing on grade level" (in their eyes.... to me it's crazy, but I'm just throwing that out there...)

Anyways, here is a great place for worksheets:

http://www.homeschoolmath.net/worksheets/

They are randomly generated. Perhaps you could start on maybe a happy medium - grade 2 - and go through the basic concepts. This way, you can pull them up to speed with facts, etc.

If a child is much higher, you could start that child on a higher grade level with that same concept (i.e. addition with 2 to 3 digits).

I would also look into creating centers in your classroom - do you have enough space to do that? Even if it was separate tables (2 or 3) you could put different centers for the kids to work at. File folder games are amazing! If you spend the $20 is costs to get a Carson Delosa File Folder book - you can usually make tons and tons of file folder games for a grade span (2/3, 1/2, etc) on various concepts put into fun games and ways to learn them. Do you have an aide?

You could also pair up a higher functioning student with your student who doesn't get one to one correspondence. This would be helpful for both students to work together, while you were working with the others. The centers are also a way to "group" your students so you have time to work with them independently.(or in smaller groups based on ability level).

For your lower functioning students (that's about where my students started out) -- create a simple chart for him to follow to get the one to one correspondence concept.

Make it similar to this:

1 ___

2 ___ ___

3 ___ ___ ___

4 ___ ___ ___ ___

then, get some pennies, or bear counters, or goldfish (food), or anything that you have in your supply closet (buttons, erasers, even pieces of laminated colored paper). The student should put one on each box, you count through it together. We do this with our life skills students to work on the one to one correspondence.

As far as taking data goes, it's a really scary thing when you first start in special ed, but once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad. I would create a binder that has a tab for each student. Put the child's goals in their tab (one goal per page, with some data boxes underneath). Now, they are all organized for you to look at. For the last 10 minutes of class, you can do "data" time. Have some worksheets in your binder that correspond to the children's goals. You can do the work orally, by "quizzing" them, seeing if they get it correct, "taking data" -- or they can work on the worksheets and you can take a grade as your data. You can also write down specific activities that you find on the internet or come up with on your own, on the different pages of the goals. This way, you have a "bag of tricks" that you can refer to for each student for data collection. You could even do data only on MWF, it doesn't need to be every day. It might even be once a week. If you have a requirement of (every day data) then you might need to follow that. But in our district, it's up to the teacher to come up with data that shows the progress the child is making. Most of my data is done every 2-3 days.