Resource Books

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by mrcbb80, Jul 5, 2005.

1. mrcbb80

mrcbb80 Rookie

Jul 5, 2005

I am new to teaching in a public school system. On top of that, I'm doing a 2/3 classroom. Does anyone have any good resource books I should read to help prepare my classroom? There are so many scholastic reproducible books as well.....any good ones in particular? I am so overwhelmed right now especially because I am used to teaching 3, 4, and 5 year olds!

3. linzteach

linzteach Rookie

Jul 5, 2005

Hello! I will begin my first year teaching in the fall and will be doing a 4/5 split, so I completely understand how overwhelmed you feel. I just purchased The First Days of School by Harry Wong. It has great ideas for classroom management, which is what I was most concerned with. I would definitely look into it. I have also been making pocket folder centers that students can take to their seats. I bought the Evan-Moor brand, they have them divided into grades and subjects....they're great! Just a few suggestions....hope you have a wonderful first year!

4. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2005

One book I really like was Apprenticeship (SP?) to Literacy, Shaping literature minds, the writing one (I forgot the name) all by Linda Dorn. They are really good. It gives you good information about k-3 grade. One deals with setting up your classroom, one deals with how to teach reading for comprehension and the other deals with writing. All good :)

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2005

Scholastic has:

"Instant Independent Reading REsponse Activities" by Laura Witmer which I have and really like

I also like and plan to order: "First Graphic Organizers: Reading" also available from Scholastic.
    Other ones that looks good : "Ready to Use Independent Reading Management Kit" (Scholastic) and What Are the Other Kids Doing While You Teach Small Groups? (Paperback- available on amazon.com)by Donna Marriott

Have fun- You'll love teaching this age group!! :angel: