Resolutions?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dgpiaffeteach, Aug 16, 2014.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 16, 2014

Our new school year officially starts Monday, so I've been thinking about some goals for this year!

My first is the same every year. I want to stay on top of my grading. I struggle with this because there's always somewhere I fall behind. Last year I got food poisoning and couldn't do anything for four days. And, of course, it was right when my biggest class had essays due! I want to take more advantage of available time this year to grade.

My second goal is to put more emphasis on independent reading. It's just so important. We're going to do it twice a week (once in class and one lunch study hall a week is school-wide silent reading). I've been studying how other teachers have done it and I'm excited!

What about you?

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 16, 2014

Really going to try to do all student discipline in private.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2014

Not a teacher but:

more contact with my SPED teachers and with parents
    no more procrastinating!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2014

Keeping up with the grading.
    Be more consistent about conferencing with the students around their reading and writing.
    Tame the paper monster.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 16, 2014

Keep up with 'catch up work' - I am so bad for getting kids caught up when they don't finish is class.
    Going to use Words Their Way for spelling - I say it every year. This year I'm going to take the plunge!

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 16, 2014

Definitely trying to keep up with grading. I need to do better about that. It always seems to be the first thing I let myself get behind on.

I'm also making it a goal to implement two Project Clarion units for science... "Dig It!" and "Invitation to Invent." I just have to work on collecting materials early.

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2014

I need to make conferring and recording data then using it for planning small group and individual instruction a part of my everyday plan both in reading and writing. It just gets so overwhelming to stay on top of that for me!

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 16, 2014

I want to continue to develop my classroom management and relationship building skills with my students to enable a fruitful teacher-student relationship with all students.

I also want to expect even more out of my students this year. When I started my first (half) year, students were filling in worksheets. My first (full) year, they were engaging in complex labs with a lot of help and scaffolding and completing cloze cornell notes. My second year, they were keeping written lab notebooks and writing their own notes with just main ideas to guide them. This year, I'm going to keep pushing the envelope and have them develop their own labs and investigations, learn to read and annotate text in class, develop their writing and reasoning skills further, actually do the algebraic manipulations instead of relying on shortcuts that don't teach them how to actually use the formulas etc. Part of it is that I just did a Literacy in Science workshop and I'm excited to put the strategies I learned into practice. x3

I also did a lot with my grading procedures to hopefully limit the amount of grading I do, while helping students to get feedback quicker (through peer reviewing).

10. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 16, 2014

I'm gonna grade better and hand things back WEEKLY. I've got drawers labeled and everything! DRAWERS! TO FILL! WITH THINGS I GRADE! :)

11. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 16, 2014

Mine is going to be incredibly difficult to keep but I'm going to try: I resolve to not provide any assistance to brand-new teachers on staff. Especially those that may arrive due through alternate licensure programs like TFA.

I know it sounds so harsh and I almost hate admitting it. But my state (North Carolina) has made it very clear that it believes that new teachers are just as good as veteran teachers and that new teachers deserve larger raises than experienced teachers. I figure vets have partially caused this perception by helping out the newbies so much.

The public and its politicians know that teachers will go to the aid of struggling teachers. They know that teachers will spend their own money if local budgets are reduced. As teachers, if we permit this mistreatment, we promote it. I will not make it seem as though a new teacher is as good or even close to as good as me because of the support I give. I'll let the truth be evident.

Or so I say. I'm sure I'll buckle within a week, lol.

12. teachart

teachart Comrade

Aug 16, 2014

Have a life outside of school!
    Learn to use my smart board.

13. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2014

To never collect lesson plans again.

30 bags of recycled paper.....stupid, never again

14. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Aug 17, 2014

I want to work on being more consistent and cracking down on discipline at the beginning of the year.

I also want to give more responsibility to the students, thus allowing me to actually have a life outside of school.