Resolutions

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Dec 20, 2012.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2012

I know some like them, others hate them, and some of us enjoy starting anew in August or September. But if you're making some resolutions for the new year, perhaps you'll post here? I'm working on mine. :)

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2012

I am working on getting into a consistent workout schedule and watching what I eat more. I started about 3-4 weeks ago. I gained literally about 15 pounds due to so much stress at the beginning of this school year, and I just felt like it was too important to wait until New Years to start working on it, especially since most people gain in the holidays. I've lost about 6-7 pounds already. I consider it an "early" resolution that I will continue in the New Year. I tutor on Tuesdays and Thursdays and don't get out of school until pretty late, so I've been going to the gym on Mondays, Wednesdays, and two days between Friday/Saturday/Sunday (depending on when I have plans). So far this has seemed to work really well, but I'll be thrown off over Christmas break since I'll be at my parents' house. Right now I'm just working on making "better choices" and eating more in moderation with food. In the past I've found making hard and fast "rules" (as far as number of calories like mfp does) just doesn't work for me.

I've also been working on being more planned/prepared for school AND not working every night/weekend. I set a 2-3 hour window on weekends to get things done, do nonstop work during that time, and whatever doesn't happen during that time can wait. I've done really well with this for the past couple of months.

So basically I'm just working on keeping up some things I've started recently...I think that's enough on my plate right now!

4. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Dec 20, 2012

For a new year's resolution, I'm finally going to do something that I found on Pinterest. I'm going to buy an empty mason jar (maybe two or three) and throughout the year as things happen that I want to remember, I'll write them on a little slip of paper and put them in the jar. Next New Year's Eve, I can pull out the jar and relive those big and little moments I thought were worth saving.
    :)
    That and finally getting my self together financially. Being in school won't help much, but maybe it'll be easier to get organized the less you have. ;) Oh wait... That doesn't work with money, does it?

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 20, 2012

I think eating better & exercising more/joining a gym is the #1 NY's resolution.

I just hope that each new year is better than any other year I've had full of blessings, good health, prosperity, and good times.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2012

Goals for 2013

My eating is healthier than ever before in my life, but I am still overweight. I need to lose a significant number of pounds. A secondary reason to lose weight besides health and uncomfortable back fat :| is the tiny possibility of having a breast reduction surgery in the next few years for which I would need to prepare. I have a very serious phobia for medical-related equipment and procedures, but I don't love the neck and back pain. Difficult decision...

My meditation has been put on the back burner and I need to "reconnect" once more. I have grown so much spiritually the past few years and I want to continue that journey.

I need to give my home and husband the same respect I do my classroom and students in terms of cleanliness and organization. My house has been in bad shape for months now. Seriously. It's not a priority, but that's not fair. Must do better!

Maybe more later...these are my top three, though.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2012

Like most everyone else, I would like to not necessarily lose weight, but tone up more, exercise consistently and definitely eat better than I have been. During the week I'm good, but come the weekend, I need to do better. I would also like to do better about keeping in contact with family and friends that I don't talk to on a regular basis.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 21, 2012

I really want to sign up for a class--sewing or pottery or something fun like that. Get out, meet people, try something different. I've been saying I was going to do it for years...but this year I'm going to do it. :thumb:

I also want to get back into swimming. I did it regularly for so long and then decided to give up the gym membership a few years ago and haven't gone back. I've had some issues with my knee and that's what they really recommend to help strengthen it in a no-impact way.

9. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Dec 21, 2012

I want to lose weight and eat healthier. This time I think I will stick to it...I hope!

10. teachart

teachart Comrade

Dec 21, 2012

I want to get a hobby - any hobby - that doesn't have to do with making art or teaching art. Any suggestions? I'm not athletic, but willing to try anything. I keep thinking bowling, but do you have to be good to join a league? Hehe.

11. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 21, 2012

Coffee. My doctor told me I should give it up. I plan on switching to tea instead. Anyone have any good recommendations? I have only had green and lemon and didn't like either. I think I like sweeter teas?

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2012

That's what I want to do too!!! :D Did they call it the Joy Jar? If not, that's what I'm calling it! You can borrow that name, if you'd like. :)

Other resolutions:
    1) start my half marathon training plan
    2) run my first half in April
    3) MAYBE run a full marathon in the fall. We'll see how the half goes.

ETA: I guess these are more like goals... meh. :p

13. bison

bison Habitué

Dec 22, 2012

My main resolution is to prevent stress rather than manage it. There are several components to this, like getting more sleep!

I also want to create some kind of written chore plan or schedule, and then stick to it! The BF is beginning to drive me nuts when it comes to the division of household tasks. :rolleyes:

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 22, 2012

Have you ever tried teecino? It's an herbal coffee. I think it is caffiene free. I don't drink it regularly but I thought it was an interesting alternative to regular coffee and they have some yummy flavors.

I'm sure I SHOULD be making at least 10 resolutions but I will try to narrow it down to 3 LOL

To be continued....

15. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 22, 2012

One of my top resolutions in recent years has been to try and keep a journal worth looking back at... So far, it's been a chore and basically not very interesting anyway, by summer time.

16. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2012

Some resolutions that have worked for me in the past...
    read a book a month
    attend church every Sunday
    never hit snooze

17. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 22, 2012

I have just begun to start thinking about this, but here are a few that I want to do:
    read 52 books. This year I have read 45, so I am getting closer. I do most of my reading during the summer, but I have been reading more on the weekends.
    start attending church again. I found a Lutheran church nearby, and I went once already.
    practice my knitting, and try newer and challenging patterns.
    get back into walking /jogging 3x a week, and start keeping My Fitness Pal again
    Focus on positives, not negatives!

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 22, 2012

My 2011 goal was to read 100 books...I only got somewhere in the 80s. I think I will try it again for 2013 and track them on Good Reads.

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 22, 2012

I'm going to tell my students that I love them more often. But that is a December 14th resolution.

For new year's, I haven't finished deciding. I would like to take more time for hobbies, but that's a hard one to fulfill.

20. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2012

This is the first time I've looked for the "LIKE" button on this site. :)

My resolution is to work more efficiently and limit the amount of work I need to bring home. I actually did not bring ANY work home from school on the last day before break, something that has NEVER happened before! (I do need to go in for a little bit to do some organizing.)

21. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 26, 2012

I usually don't do resolutions (maybe a couple), but I set goals. So it's not something I will start doing starting Jan. 1st, but a goal I set for myself to accomplish sometime during the year.

So far this is what I have:
    - learn Spanish. I actually started already, but will really get on it. It seems doable, for some reason it's very easy for me.
    - get a full time teaching job. That one is obvious :)
    - get a couple of more certifications, one is science.

Actually I do have some small resolutions:
    - lose about 15 lbs. (or more)
    - start going to the gym regularly, like I used to do, 4-5 times / week. Right now I'm going about twice, so it won't be too hard
    - start going for a little jog every morning, and / or every night. I started doing this already, and it feels really good. I can't even call it jogging, half of it I'm walking, but oh well. At least I'm up at 5 am, and doing it :)
    These 2 resolutions will help achieve the first one. (which is more like a goal)

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 26, 2012

Getting back on running plan..we 'fell off the wagon' in late October...around storm time:( DH and I got new running gear for Christmas so we'll be back on it this week.

Finding peace with changes in family dynamics- parents and in-laws getting older. I cherish my time with them...needs to remain a priority. Sons- one recently maried, the other just graduated from colege, first job, new girlfriend...just a lot of changes...I need to keep telling myself that the only constant in life is change...and make the best of it...I'm not always in charge...that's a tough one!:blush:

Organization...that's always on the list!

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 26, 2012

I, too, fell off the running wagon about two weeks ago. Need to get back to it!

24. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Dec 26, 2012

Let's see...

Keep all the weight I lost OFF. For good!
    Start running.
    Get back into the theatre scene and do at least 3 shows.

And most importantly, quit smoking.

25. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2012

I think my goal will just be "healthier me." I need to lose 10-15 lbs. I need more energy during the day. I need to exercise.

I think I need to make a more general plan for the year. Every time I sit down and say, "I'm going to leave work by 3, I'm going to exercise every day at 3:30, I'm not taking work home" blah blah blah, I do well for two weeks and then something at work blows it out of the water.

So, in general: Exercise more. Drink more water. Try not to let work interfere with home life.

26. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2012

Our family is having a lot of changes this January. I resolve to deal with the stress from the changes in a healthy way. I have got to lose weight and I can't eat every time I'm stressed!
    I also need to get back to church more regularly and participate more. The toughest one is meeting people. I know lots of people at work, but we don't socialize outside of school so I would like to meet more people. I know I'm friendly, I just don't get out much.

27. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 26, 2012

I NEED to lose weight. Every other year or so, I lose around 50 lbs and then stress happens and I gain at least 40 lbs back. I guess I really need to find a different way to deal with stress other than eating. I have always dreamed of running a half marathon but I have bad knees. I'm hoping that by losing all of the weight that I need to, I will have less stress on my knees and that I will be able to run a half marathon.

I will also like to find a new teaching job. I work with great staff and I've worked with worse principals and I have that little piece in me that is worrying about moving to a new school with poor morale and an awful principal.

28. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 26, 2012

I have to lose weight. I've always been overweight, and I have gained about 40 pounds in the last 12-18 months. I am now to the point where certain things are getting difficult to do. So it is an absolute must. It is just really hard to eat right with my schedule.

29. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Dec 26, 2012

Start going to Wednesday night church service when I'm not working my second job.

Find either a full time job or go back to school full time. Whatever it is, it won't be subbing.

30. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2012

First I did a Resolution not to make any Resolutions then I realized I had just made a Resolution!

Then I made a Resolution to write an awesome Resolution but I got writer's block.

Ok I guess I'll Resolve to have a Resolution by Tuesday

31. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Dec 29, 2012

My resolution is to look for the positive things in my life.

32. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2012

I like this. I need to do this more often. I'm such a Negative Nelly (probably picked this up from hubby!).

I told hubby that I want to start a Joy Jar (did I mention that already in this thread?) so that I can keep track of the good things in life.

33. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 29, 2012

My resolution is have more patience with my BF when I get home from work.

He says that he sees how personable, outgoing, and happy I am at work (he sometimes helps in my classroom on his days off--I guess staff members have told him really nice things about me, too). He feels that I use up all that good stuff (i.e., compassion) when I'm at work; therefore, by the time I get home, I'm "out of steam"!

Anyway, I'm making a conscious effort to be more understanding and tolerant when I get home from work! :love:

34. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2012

My husband has said nearly the same thing to me, YTG. In fact, his quote is, when there is something needing to be done at home, "Treat it like a school project," because he knows I give my all to school and slack at home. That was one of my three resolutions.

35. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Jan 12, 2013

I will! And I'll spread the name around. :p