Resolution?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by halpey1, Dec 31, 2009.

1. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Dec 31, 2009

3. holley.padula

holley.padula Rookie

Dec 31, 2009

NEW YEAR'S Resolution

My resolution is to get more organized and do more long term planning. I also need to spend more time outside the school day working in my classroom/on school stuff.

My other one is to allow more stuff to roll of my back (as it pertains to the adults around me). I want to become more flexible and be an example to those around me.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2009

You are a caring and gifted teacher, halpey. Your students are lucky for the time they spend with you. My resolution is to continue to find the joy in every day...I love what I do, have a passion for it...

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Dec 31, 2009

czacza, A big thank you! I really like your resolution too... :)

6. holley.padula

holley.padula Rookie

Dec 31, 2009

I agree with you! We are privledged to to have the opportunity to work with children.

I also agree to continue to find joy in everyday. It is important to always have fun and enjoy what we do.

I've seen alot of teachers who have been teaching for a long time lost the joy in it. Some never have it at all. I hope that they wake up at some point and either change careers, or realize what a gift they have been given!

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2009

My resolution is to continue to do the best I can in my new position and to find the positives in it instead of the negatives. Being involuntarily switched in November made the end of 2009 pretty rough at school :(

8. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Dec 31, 2009

My New Years Resolutions are:

1. Actually finish social studies and science lessons.
    2. Incorporate project-based learning
    3. Be more organized

9. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Dec 31, 2009

leighbball - good for you. Finding the positive in a difficult situation can be extremely difficult. I like to look at difficult situations as 'opportunities' instead of obstacles. :)

10. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Dec 31, 2009

Yes, it is always good to look at the positives. It keeps us sane. I think I would have a panic attack if I focus on the negatives. Don't internalize anything. It is what it is. :) Good luck! 2010 will be great!

11. wrice

wrice Habitué

Dec 31, 2009

I'm going to attempt to return tests BEFORE the kids graduate haha! (better things to do than grade those nasty papers. Anyone invent essay by Scantron yet?)

12. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 31, 2009

I want to:
    Teach EDM in a rotation. After reading the post on here, I am excited to get back and talk to our Math coach about implementing it. I think it is just what my 5th graders need.
    Continue to implement more cooperative/collaborative projects. I did two different ones before the break, and my students loved them, and learned so much.
    "Don't sweat the small stuff". This is hard for me, but I need to just roll with the punches. There is not much I can do to change administration's mind, and fighting it takes so much energy-energy that I can put into my classroom.

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2009

:lol: wrice!

Thanks guys...moving from the classroom to my current position was unexpected and hurtful at first...but I'm finding its not so bad after all. I just need to keep staying positive! :) Now if only my 1st graders understood why the P moved me...that would make life much, much easier!

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2009

knitter63- I just got the book out of the library yesterday! Can't wait to read "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" :)

15. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Dec 31, 2009

1. Continue to provide challenge/enrichment for my high kids.
    2. Try to get to those 2-3 middle of the road kids with great behavior that sometimes don't get as much attention as my lower kiddos, me ELA kids, my kids with behavior issues, etc. etc. etc. :)
    3. Fill in those extra moments during transitions, etc. with even more learning opportunities (ABC order, counting by 2,5, 10 etc.)
    4. Smile and enjoy each day!

:) :) HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL! :) :)

16. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 31, 2009

I have to agree with czacza-I also think you must be an incredible teacher Halpey-I read your blog often!

I am going to try to use every minute of the day better. I feel like there is still so much to teach and time just flying by. I also want the kids to have more fun-enjoy the learning more. I've been reading a lot over the break and found some good ideas-I'm reinvigorated to go in and inspire some youngsters! :thumb:

I'd also say get more organized-but we all know it would take a miracle for me to be able to stick to that one!:whistle:

17. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Dec 31, 2009

I'm right there with you KinderCowgirl... you have to prioritize, and for me, having everything organized isn't a top priority. Trust me, it'll never happen for me. :D

BUT, my kids have fun and learn and that's more important than a neat desk anyway.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2009

Learn something from every day...you are where you are for a reason. Figure out what that is. :hugs:

19. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 1, 2010

leighball, I read that book many, many years ago. I am putting that book on my "to read" list. Thanks for reminding me! Happy New Year!:)

20. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jan 1, 2010

I am one of eight male teachers in my elementary school of 75 teachers.It is obvious that you really are dedicated to your job.
    My resolution would be to always try to do my best in my classroom and to always care about the children entrusted to my care.
    Have a happy and hopefully healthy New Year to everyone at this site

21. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 1, 2010

Laugh more, enjoy each child more, and love each day.

I love your blog.

22. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jan 1, 2010

Hoot Owl, love it. I think laughing more is key. :D