Resistant to Change?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mathmagic, Jun 22, 2018.

1. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2018

Okay...

I agree with this: while it's important that we do look at even what's working to see how we can make it better, it certainly needs to be purposeful, and with a clear cut idea of why we think it could actually affect change (whether initially based on research or not). When I changed approach to independent reading, it perhaps might've been a "new method" (though not really), but there was significant purpose behind reaching for the change: I had significant uncomfortabilities (pedagogy-wise, mindset-wise, and just in general) with how it was being addressed before that.

I had heard that some of the conclusions this came to were not valid due to errors? Or something like that? Regardless though, I think one can definitely take the sum of various research - including that even if slightly flawed, combined with one's own experience and the experience of others (when they actually give the whole picture and not just color it with perfect rosy colors), to determine whether there might be an opportunity for improvement (even if success already exists).

bella84 likes this.
  2. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Jul 23, 2018

I would agree with other posters that teachers as a group are not at all resistant to change. We embrace technology if we see a benefit—who remembers dittos?

Changes in instruction should be based on the needs of our students and what research says. For example, Marzano identified the most effective teaching strategies. I think about these when planning instruction. Note that some of these refer to direct instruction and some to problem solving.
    • Identifying similarities and differences.
    • Summarizing and note taking.
    • Reinforcing effort and providing recognition.
    • Homework and practice.
    • Nonlinguistic representations.
    • Cooperative learning.
    • Setting objectives and providing feedback.

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jul 23, 2018

mathmagic, you keep saying what I’m doing only “works” according to you, so what is your solution? I gave you data which substantiated my claims about how effective my pedagogy is (e.g. getting excellent scores pretty much). I told you the only way I logically see how my students can do much better. What are your suggestions besides saying my methods “work”?

It’s easier to criticize than to propose solutions.

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2018

I purposefully was trying to pull it away from simply being about you...we get it, you're an amazing teacher-of-the-year, get-paid-tons, perfectly-happy, wildly-successful kind of teacher. That's not my purpose of this thread. Does it always need to be about you? Geesh.

(And to the idea of critique, even though again, it was framed around you in your post -- you're right. It is easier to criticize vs. propose solutions. I never said anything to contrary. I simply feel that when we don't critique something with some realistic reasons why and some possible solutions/ways to make it better, that's a missed opportunity.)

Violetta, bella84 and Ms.Holyoke like this.
  5. futuremathsprof

Jul 23, 2018

Um, I didn’t make it about me. I made a single post initially to respond to your inquiry. I basically said that I only change my methods when I feel it’s absolutely necessary because what I’m doing right now has produced great results.

You are free to use whatever pedagogical methodologies you want in your classroom, but I don’t have to agree with you and I don’t need your derision either just because I state why I feel we don’t need to always do what the “experts” say we should. Different strokes for different folks.

You’re getting awfully defensive and agressive. Is this how you respond when your students disagree with you? Geesh, do you know how to respond without getting up in arms?

6. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2018

I have always been an 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' sort of teacher. If what I am doing works I don't want to throw it out for some untried method. After 30 years at the chalkface I have seen many, many wonderful initiatives come in, give us hundreds of hours of work to change everything and then quietly be dropped once a) everyone realises it doesn't work and b) the next new craze has arrived which of course is the same thing we adopted and then dropped 7 years ago but with a new name. I think I am experienced and knowledgeable enough to evaluate what I am doing and tweak it when necessary. Complete rebuilds from the bottom are never a good thing.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  7. futuremathsprof

Jul 23, 2018

Exactly right! That’s what I’ve noticed is happening particularly in public schools. They keep trying so many different learning modules and curricula every other year it seems and teachers become frustrated because nothing seems to work. Schools districts just need to stick with something that works and stop trying to update their curricula just for the sake of using the latest research-based “studies”.

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2018

100% agreed (outside of extreme circumstances, naturally). Also 100% agreed with the shifting to one big idea to another big idea willy nilly.

I think my initial goal with this thread was to mean more subtle changes, or if a significant shift (i.e. approach to independent reading in the classroom, or approach to homework), one done with a very specific purpose and goal in mind, reasoning behind it (including some research, perhaps), with an understanding that if there aren't positive effects, that one needs to revert away from that afterwards.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2018

My mentor teacher had to go to meetings every week for a "new instructional method" across content areas. It was SUCH a waste of time. They spent half a yea talking about a reading instructional method that my mentor teacher never used. I stopped going after a few weeks because my mentor teacher said I should just use the time to get work done. However, I think that every teacher can improve and it is always a good idea to reflect. It would have been better to use the time to talk about behavioral strategies for shared students or collaborate with subject area teachers. I could see all of the math teachers coming together to talk about implementing a problem solving task or a number talk together, for example.

My school this year has meetings every day, alternating between grade level teams and content teachers. I'm interested in seeing how these meetings are!

10. futuremathsprof

Jul 23, 2018

I completely agree with this post. My school does these types of meetings and I feel they are more useful than most of the professional development workshops I’ve attended!

11. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2018

That is what the meetings at my new school (public) are supposed to be like. I will let you know in a few weeks!

12. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 23, 2018

Meetings every day? That sounds like overkill.

13. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 23, 2018

This was often the case at the schools where I worked. Teachers would spend inordinate amounts of time trying unsuccessfully to adapt the curriculum materials to meet students' needs. Not surprisingly, year after year, such schools remained solidly entrenched in the low-performing schools category. Old programs and approaches with fancy new names and extra-thick teacher's manuals introduced almost yearly with inadequate training and support predictably fell by the wayside after a couple of years.

Fortunately, I refused to get caught up in the hamster wheel madness and was allowed to do my own thing. So, behind closed doors, I eventually designed a unique curriculum built around my students (just as you suggested) and voila! Success for all without discipline problems!

eiwactor and mrsf70 like this.
  14. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2018

I'm honestly not sure how it will be. It doesn't infringe on our prep time though since we have our own 45 minute prep period and a 20 minute "data" period. I would rather have a meeting than take on another class for sure!

15. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 23, 2018

I guess if it's within your contract hours and it doesn't take your plan time away, then it's not that bad. At my school, we lose plan or lunch time or stay after contract hours for meetings.