Resigning during the school year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AdamnJakesMommy, Mar 6, 2013.

1. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Mar 6, 2013

I just got my teaching license and began my first job as a teacher in January. I am expecting a baby in August (I did NOT know I was pregnant until 3 weeks after I accepted the job and they would have hired me regardless) but because I'm not FMLA protected I can only get 6 weeks off, but I'm not sure I will be able to put my baby in daycare at 6 weeks. I'm willing to give it a try, but in the worst case scenario what if after a few weeks back from maternity leave I cannot handle having my newborn in daycare and decide to resign? How bad does that look? I would eventually want to be employed again down the road so I don't want to leave under bad terms AT ALL. But with something down the road, I just don't know how I will be and how I will react. I mean, I may be fine, but I'm fearful I will be a nervous wreck!

:help:

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 6, 2013

I'm not sure that you'll have to resign. Have you talked to your administration and HR? FMLA legally guarantees 12 weeks off, but some places are more than willing to work with new mothers even if they haven't met the requirements.

If there is no way you can get more than six weeks off and you can't live with that, then I suggest you resign before the school year starts. They won't pull your license for that.

4. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Mar 6, 2013

I assume you mean if I were to "break my contract," with the whole license pulling. I haven't even signed a contract yet, although will be in the next month or so when my license is finally furnished by the state. Since I've never signed one, can't I resign and give notice? I know a girl who teaches at our school who resigned from another county after the school year started this year and that county forced her to wait thirty days before she could move to our district. So why would I get my license pulled for resigning, she didn't! For example, let's say I came back in September and within a week realize I want to resign for the school year, submit a resignation, and give them 2 weeks/30 days notice before actually leaving? I could pull my child from daycare right away and scramble with my husband/sister/mom/MIL to take time off of work to watch the baby for a few weeks between them. I hadn't even considered I could have my license pulled, I just didn't want anyone to be mad and give me poor references because I am a really good teacher and well-liked by the administration.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 6, 2013

North Carolina doesn't really have contracts. They are non-binding and just give you a position if the enrollment is there.
    30 days is the standard in NC when breaking the contract.
    That said, it is not likely that that county will rehire you again down the road.

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 6, 2013

I have known two people who were told they would lose their license because they broke their contracts. I have no idea if it really came to be since they were already gone by then.

But I've known many more people who had to leave mid-year without any issues.

My comment was just that it would probably be easier to ensure you have a job down the line if you tell them you won't even start out the year than if you leave even two weeks in.

7. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Mar 6, 2013

I resigned in February of my second school year teaching. My husband is in the military and he was given orders to a new state, but I was also 8 months pregnant. I was a SAHM for almost 4 years. We recently moved back to FL and I was just rehired in the same district with no problem. :)

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 6, 2013

If you are not positive that you will stay all year, don't sign your contract. Staying home with a child looks much better as the excuse for a year or so off on a resume than leaving the district in a lurch.

How long would you have to have off in order to be comfortable returning?

9. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Mar 7, 2013

I had the same dilemma as you. I had my first baby in June, went back to work, and come November, I was really regretting leaving my baby at home. Plus, my mom was watching him and that was causing MAJOR issues. I spoke with my union rep about my options and he said if I had to leave, wait until the new semester started in January. He said nothing about my license being revoked, but he did say the P may not give me a letter of recommendation when I did decide to go and look for another job down the road. Also, if I wanted to work in the same district, I would have to go through the application/interview process again, which was difficult the first time!

You ultimately have to do what's best for you, but if you don't think you'll be able to leave your baby in daycare at 6 weeks, I would just resign before the start of the school year. I think resigning a month into the school year isn't going to look good, even if you do give up to 30 days notice. Then, the following year when your baby is a year old, you can get in touch with your P and let him/her know you're ready to come back to work. They may be more apt to find a position for you then.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and congratulations!!!

10. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 8, 2013

Perhaps tell your P that you won't be coming back next school year to take of your newborn?

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2013

I would definitely check into the FMLA laws yourself. I know that we too get 12 weeks off regardless of how long we've worked. As long as you are offered a job for next year, you should be allowed to take the leave...

Another thing you might want to look at is the date you would be coming back and the number of days off that you have before a major break (fall, thanksgiving, winter). It might not be as bad as you think especially if you could get family to help you.