Resigning before the beginning of the school year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teachling, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 19, 2015

As anyone ever done this? Or at least gave it some serious contemplation. I'm just wondering since I'm finding myself in a bad state of mind at the moment. Things so far are not turning out well and school hasn't even started. I'm very disappointed as to how things are developing and continue to evolve. I knew going in that they were going to be lots of challenges but I was also let to believe that their were certain things I would have choices on. It turns out that I won't and the news has hit me hard. Just thinking of all the mandates, little support and long hours that are looming ahead, just turns my stomach and has me extremely concern.

I'm contemplating resigning because to me my peace of mind takes precedence but my conscious tells me I'm stuck with this commitment. I would like to hear from those who have gone through an experience like this and how you have worked it through.

3. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 19, 2015

Do you have another position lined up? If not, what is the plan after resigning? If you don't have another position but have some sort of plan (such as you plan to be a sub in your dream district to try to network, etc.) about what you are going to do after resigning it would make sense. Also if you resign at this point are you under contract where it would affect your license or get you a negative reference that could hurt future employment?

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 19, 2015

If this is a public school in Texas, the time to resign has passed but if you feel like this position isn't for you, perhaps the district would work with you. My P wouldn't want someone who wanted to quit in one of her classrooms so they might let you out.

Is this your first teaching position?

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 19, 2015

I unfortunately had to do this once. I was hired at the start of the summer and had to resign mid-summer. I had never signed any contracts or papers or anything, but since I had been formally approved for employment by the Board, I had to send them a signed resignation letter. They were very understanding but I still felt awful I had to do that :( They had to repost the job opening.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2015

I feel like I need more specific info before I can give advice on this.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 20, 2015

This is the advice I would give as well. Can you afford to sub if you can't find another position? Given how late it is in the summer, I would say your chances of finding something else are probably pretty slim. A few years ago I got a new job and saw the "writing on the wall" very quickly. I really wanted to resign at the very beginning of the year (after teachers started, but before students began) and leave the job off my resume, but I'm single so there is no way I'd be able to afford being a sub. I stuck it out and the year was extremely challenging, but I made it and now work in a much better school. My team was great and that helped. If you decide you can afford to sub, contact HR (I would suggest you do so anonymously at first) and ask if there are repercussions for backing out of a contract. In some places they can go after your license for this. If you can afford to sub and can assure your new school can't go after you for resigning, I would do it. If things are already really bad, don't stay out of a sense of obligation- that's not fair to you or the students. I don't know your specific situation, but another thing to consider is that if you're already getting vibes that you won't get along with admin, you could be looking at a non-renewal at the end of the year anyway. I know this is not true everywhere, but around here that is a career killer.

8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 20, 2015

Never did it or contemplated it. Most districts and charters in Utah are right to work, so it's less dramatic to get out of a contract than other places and doesn't necessarily affect your career. If you're serious about this, look into the possible effects.

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2015

Read your contract very carefully.

On another note, do you think you are panicking because of a new situation? This might be anxiety which most of us feel experiencing new, unknown situations. One of my sons does this with every major change in his life but he has learned to talk himself out of that flight response because he knows it is a pattern he experiences.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 20, 2015

I was wondering this, too! If it wasn't for people pushing me, I would NEVER try new things because I can talk myself out of anything. I also panic before new situations and see all the possible 'bad' without focusing on the good. Is it maybe nerves?

The beginning of a new school year always makes me nervous, but it was definitely the worst at the beginning of my FIRST school year. Once I got into the swing of things I found my peace, but it took a while to settle in and trust that the situation was good. Turned out it was my dream job.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 20, 2015

You have to be prepared for the school to either not let you out of the contract or to put a hold on your certificate so you can't get another position right away. Usually that does not happen, but it certainly can.

I don't know how things work where you are, but here a job has to be posted for 30 days before we can hire anyone for it. If one of our teachers resigns now, we would be starting school with a substitute and that's never an ideal situation.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2015

This.

13. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 21, 2015

Yes, it's a public school system and I am starting my eighth year. A few years ago I had a partner who did quit to take another teaching job with another district after the deadline with no problem and came back to our district a few months later. Though I think what helped mostly was our P at the time. The principal let her out of the contract and then later recommended her when she reapplied.

14. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 21, 2015

Yeah, the original post was really vague :confused:

15. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 21, 2015

Regarding finding another job, chances are great that I would find another teaching job because of my certifications. This is a double edge sword for me because I could potentially be given resistance from the district to let me out of my contract. There's currently a shortage of teachers in my district.
    As far as new surroundings and such--- yes there may be some of that. I am probably still mourning the lost of my previous school. The big issue is that this school is the lowest in our district and because of that, they are throwing all kinds of programs and mandates at us. It's almost like we're being punished (for a lack of a better word) for what previous administration did not do to make the school successful. I'm currently having to work on training and presentations and school hasn't even started.

Currently I'm just thinking out loud about my frustrations. The reality is that I'm most likely going to stay put and pray this SY goes quickly so I can move on.

16. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 21, 2015

This is tempting. I may be able to find out without going through HR.

17. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 21, 2015

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I (and many other people in low performing schools) deal with this every year. I don't know if it's grounds for breaking contract and leaving. I mean, your happiness and sanity are top priority, so do what you need to do to keep your health in check. But what you described is pretty normal for a low performing school (in my experience).

18. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jul 21, 2015

Stay, rock the year and move to a different school or district.

Last year I was ready to quit after the first week. Literally, that Friday I cried to my P and said I'm leaving. But I took the weekend to pray on it and seek counsel from family and at the end of the day the outcome was more important....I needed my full certification. I stayed and got out of dodge and life is :celebrate: now.

Why did you leave your old school in the first place if you don't mind my asking?

19. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Jul 21, 2015

I did this last summer with a charter school that changed my position greatly after hiring me. I posted about it here and got great advice. You may want to look up that post.

20. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 21, 2015

I didn't. The district made all kinds of changes mid year and so our school was converted to something else so we all had to look for new assignments. Our school did extremely well given that we were a non community school and so we had students coming in from various feeder schools. Our demographics was something like 90% free lunch, title 1. The main reason our school went away was because accountability descriptions change and the big problem the new school Im going to was facing.

21. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 21, 2015

TeachCafe thank you for sharing how you worked through it. I appreciate that.

22. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 21, 2015

I will check that out. its similar to how things are developing for me.