Resigning advice

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rhesus, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 8, 2013

Okay, maybe I'm jumping the gun here because I've not signed anything, but I have been given a verbal okey-dokey.

The final step for the job I want to accept is to meet the superintendent and then sign a contract. Here's the rub; the superintendent and her staff are out until next week, so this won't happen until then.

Meanwhile, school starts soon. The first staff day for my current position that I'm trying to leave is the 21st. This is pretty short notice, and getting even shorter. I feel badly about that, but the timing is outside of my control and I don't see myself turning down an offer just out of potential inconvenience for my current school, since job offers are pretty hard to come by these days.

My current school is a private school and an at will employer. There is a contract, but neither it nor the faculty handbook say a single thing about resignation procedures (they do say quite a bit about grounds for termination, though).

The old school has been a nice place to work, but the new school is 25 minutes closer to home and is likely to pay 60% more.

Any suggestions on handling this?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2013

If it were me, I would wait until I had signed the new contract before resigning, even if it meant resigning on short notice.

4. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 8, 2013

Absolutely. I will not resign unless I have put pen to paper.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2013

Agreed!!

6. littlemiskinder

littlemiskinder Rookie

Aug 8, 2013

I'm in a similar situation.... I have an interview with a superintendent (I've already done 2 with the principal) next week and am hoping to hear back quickly so I can notify my school. I would definitely wait until you sign. There are plenty of teacher candidates looking for jobs so they won't have trouble filling the position after you leave.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 8, 2013

I work in a private school and we must give 2 weeks notice or you won't get the money for any personal days you've aquired. I don't think they can really do much more than that since it doesn't say anything in the contract.

8. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 8, 2013

Agree with the others. Oh, and :celebrate::celebrate::celebrate::celebrate::party:

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2013

:yeahthat:

I wouldn't have said this a few years ago, but it's a tough market...you've got to watch out for yourself. Given your contract is 'at will', you're within your rights to resign at any time...and they WILL find someone who will be thrilled to find a job! Congrats!

10. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 8, 2013

I actually know someone whose position got eliminated and who might want my old job. That could take the sting out a little

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2013

Nice!

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2013

I agree with the others- wait it out and apologize.

Congratulations!

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2013

Congratulations!