Resigned How hard will it be to go to another district to work.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LSH97, Feb 21, 2019.

1. LSH97

LSH97 New Member

Feb 21, 2019

Does resigning my position and going on special assignment in the middle of the school year affect my chances of getting a job in another district the following year?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 21, 2019

I'm guessing that it is going to depend whether or not future employers see the "special assignment" as something that helped you grow as a teacher, or was so spectacular in its nature that anyone would be a fool for NOT taking the "special assignment". Since the title of the thread gives the impression that this is a done deal, you are going to have some time to work on an explanation, but if you just recently did this, aren't you past the middle of the year and more like in the third quarter? Just curious. If you are asking because you want to start applying for positions for next year in a month or so, well, like I said, it will depend on the "special assignment" story and whether the job you left also felt is was so special that they are willing to back you up when future potential employers start checking references. Lots of unknowns in your inquiry.

4. LSH97

LSH97 New Member

Feb 21, 2019

Yes I have already given my resignation and the district has said they will confirm my employment. That being said, they are not going to talk me up. Yes, I am asking to have an idea of what I’m going against as I apply for the 2019-2020 school year.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 21, 2019

So I guess that I am dying to know when you actually left the job, and how much of the school year remained. I think it will be something you will need to address, not in applications, per se, but definitely for interviews. If you weren't happy at the job, what could you have done to make things better? Did you try to make things better, or bottle things up? Were you at an "at will" job, which changes everything, at least to me. If you broke a contract, and it wasn't at will employment, you will need to be able to say why without badmouthing your previous employer. School districts are sensitive to maybe having to replace a classroom teacher midyear for less than what they would consider a valid reason.

I think that if you didn't move away from where you were living when you resigned it will bring thoughts of you weren't happy and you simply bailed without good reasons to the minds of the interview committee. Extenuating circumstances should be carefully evaluated and practiced (IMO). Are you comfortable with how things played out? Do you see changes that could have been made? If there was a health issue involved, you need just enough information without going in depth. Be aware that HIIPPA laws mean they can't ask you about a diagnosis, so never offer up more than you are comfortable with. Obviously, if there was a health scare that is now resolved, that would be considered a positive, but if you don't care to share, don't.

You have to realize that I am mostly suggesting how you need to prepare for interviews, but you also can use these questions to carefully consider what may have gone wrong and how you could have changed things without resigning. It should also help you be very careful about finding a school that you feel would allow you to grow in the position, looking through eyes that are wiser. My curiosity about your situation is simply my curiosity, and not a mandate for you to share. I want to make that perfectly clear. I am only giving some guidance about how I see future interviews possibly going. Let me wish you the very best.

6. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Feb 21, 2019

I don't know your situation at all but I wanted to lend support. In my district (about 35K students) the interview process is very direct. Questions are prewritten, laminated and interviewers are not allowed to vary from the questions. Of course, the respondent can, but they can't ask you directly why you left your last place of employment once you pass the screening to be interviewed. As far as I remember, questions were carefully crafted and very general- I later learned they were looking to see how much detail the candidate provided and they were searching for key words. If you can research your next potential district- you may well be able to uncover what they are looking for- our current language is the district's standards of excellence.
    Do you have people who will stand by you as references?
    Are you qualified to teach in a high-need subject?
    I wish you the best. A few years ago, I was in a dark place professionally. I did one year of high school in a district where I absolutely did not fit. It was a temporary position but they had no incentive to make it permanent. But I found my way back. I'm now in early elementary in a district where I belong- and last year I was a teacher of the year. That dark time was really tough- I did learn to reach out and ask for help and watch others at work- and I hope I'm a much better teacher for it.
    Hang in there. Your current worries will be a story to share with others someday.

futuremathsprof and LSH97 like this.
  7. LSH97

LSH97 New Member

Feb 22, 2019

Thank You!