resigned after inappropriate comment

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mountan, Jun 18, 2017.

1. mountan

mountan New Member

Jun 18, 2017

I recently resigned after making an inappropriate comment to a female student. I made the comment after I asked the student to button her shirt up because she was showing to much. I have been teaching for 5 years and really like teaching but feel this might be the end of my career. Is this something I can recover from and if so how would you explain it in a job interview?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2017

Oh my.
    Were you asked to resign in lieu of termination?

Caesar753 and Leaborb192 like this.
  4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2017

What was the comment?

Leaborb192 likes this.
  5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2017

If you are a male teacher, you virtually never get involved in dress code violations with female students, other than sunglasses, hoods up, or shoes. Unfortunately, female teachers get to be the dress code police for everything else. That said, I write it up, and if it is way over the line, I discreetly pass it on to admin so that I don't have a nasty confrontation with any student. If it is bad enough, simply call the main office and tell them that you are sending them student _____ for a DC check. Then it is out of your hands.

As for your job - way to many variables that I know nothing about.

czacza and phillyteacher like this.
  6. mountan

mountan New Member

Jun 18, 2017

Yes I am a male teacher.

7. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jun 18, 2017

Without knowing more about the content and subsequent events, it's hard to say. Just based on what you've said here, lots of red flags have gone up in my mind.

I agree with vickilyn, male teachers need to be very careful about addressing uniform/ clothing issues with female students and err on the side of passing the issue along to a female teacher and/or administrator to handle.

czacza, otterpop and mountan like this.
  8. mountan

mountan New Member

Jun 18, 2017

Last 3 years I was teaching at an alternative school, how much worse could that be?

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2017

What was the comment?

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2017

Were you fired, or told to resign before you were fired? That's huge. Were your comments demeaning, or embarrassing to the student? Regardless of how the blouse was being worn, a student's feelings and dignity must not be insulted. Maybe the most important factor - have you ever been guilty of such comments before, even in jest? Prior incidents would indicate a lack of sensitivity to the emotions of others. You may be able to access counseling to help you understand where everything went wrong, and that may make you contrite enough to address the issue with hiring committees, with suggestions about how you have changed your own actions to prevent something like that from happening again.

If you really crossed a line, and the girl's parents feel like there is a legal battle to be won, it will be an uphill and uncertain battle. If you are only battling the administration, actions that show you are truly trying to change may save the day.

11. mountan

mountan New Member

Jun 18, 2017

My major concern when this happened was would the accusations follow me outside of teaching? My district wanted me to write what I did and sign it, to which I told them I would not do that. After this i was given a suspension letter. Then a few days later i was told if i resigned none of this would be a public record but if I did not sign it would go to the school board and after that to the state. I told them I would resign if they gave me a letter in writing that the accusations would be removed from public record. They talked to their lawyers and were told to give me what i wanted in writing so I agreed to resign.

12. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 18, 2017

Holy crap! What was the comment that got you in that much trouble?

SpecialPreskoo and Caesar753 like this.
  13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2017

It seems the.op commented on decolletage. Not a good.move. Not sure he should have retired. At 5 years as should have been protected to some point? Despite stupid choice

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2017

I can only hope that his refusal to state his side of the story and sign to verify it to be true was on the advice of legal counsel. If so, ask legal counsel what possible spin could be put on this. If you refused without legal counsel or a union representative, I think you may have acted rashly, but I wasn't there, so maybe the comment and incident were bad enough that you wouldn't want that in writing. I don't think you walk away unscathed from this. I think legal counsel even after the fact may be prudent. The way I see it, it certainly couldn't hurt.

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 19, 2017

I would hazard a guess that the OP doesn't exactly care to repeat himself out of sheer embarrassment.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2017

I'm sure you're right. Without the actual comment, though, or even a close approximation, it's hard to predict the fallout. A comment like what Pi described above might have different and less severe repercussions than a comment indicating that the OP was sexually interested in the student.

17. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 22, 2017

Can we get the actual comment? I don't find anything wrong with a male teacher telling a female student to cover up because they are showing too much skin---and saying those words. Obviously if a student needs to cover up, it is because s/he is showing too much skin.

Now, if the comment was something clearly indicative of the body part (like button up your shirt your ****** are hanging out) then, yes, a resignation was in order.

18. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 22, 2017

This is exactly why, when I was a teacher, I absolutely refused to police dress codes. Colleagues and administrators would rail about how all teachers need to enforce the dress code, and I nodded my head, but I never, not once, made any comments, sent a student to the office, or sent someone to a female colleague for any dress code violations, no matter the gender of the student.

If I make a comment, then I am opening myself to accusations that I was looking at a student's body inappropriately.

If I police the boys but not the girls, that's simply unfair.

So I decided it wasn't worth it. I let them dress like Ariana Grande and I kept my job.

WindyCityGal606 likes this.
  19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 22, 2017

As I joked earlier today, I need to put up a sign in my classroom:

"It's called UNDERWEAR because it should be hidden UNDER the other clothes you WEAR."

SpecialPreskoo and vickilyn like this.
  20. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 23, 2017

I disn't make any comments last year except the "no hats" and the "don't wear hoodies up" rules.

21. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Jun 24, 2017

At the beginning of the year and again when it starts getting warmer, the guidance counselors go around to classes and talk about the dress code with a poem Reach for the sky now touch your toes if anything shows change your clothes. My schools policy is that teachers don't say anything about clothes just have the student check into guidance and they handle it.

22. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jun 24, 2017

Do not post what you said.

No one else needs to know. You lawyer would tell you the same. These forums are online; they are not a group therapy session.

nstructor and catnfiddle like this.