Resignation Letter

Discussion in 'General Education' started by shabrie, Oct 10, 2011.

1. shabrie

shabrie Rookie

Oct 10, 2011

Hi everyone, I'm resigning because my heart isn't in teaching and I don't enjoy being at my school or with my students. The teaching profession just isn't for me. I have high levels of stress and anxiety. I'm getting little sleep and I just can't do it anymore. So, how do I word this in a professional way when I write my resignation letter while remaining tactful and not sounding so whiney?
    Thanks for you help.

3. shabrie

shabrie Rookie

Oct 10, 2011

Do I simply write dissatisfied with the position and that's it?

4. smpeterson77

smpeterson77 Rookie

Oct 10, 2011

I don't think that you really have to go into detail too much. When I resigned from my preschool job, I just wrote something like "I am writing to inform you of my decision to resign from my position effective (enter last day of employment). I appreciate the opportunity I have been given to work here, and have enjoyed my time." Or something similar. They may ask you why, although my school didn't. There was so much turnover, I think they just didn't want to hear it:)

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2011

Do not say that you were dissatisfied with the position. Simply state that you are resigning, effective on such and such date. Thank them for the opportunity to have worked there. Sincerely, you.

You never know where life will take you. It's not a good idea to burn bridges or to insult the people who have given you a chance.

6. shabrie

shabrie Rookie

Oct 10, 2011

I understand. I didn't know resignation letters could be so simple. I always thought I had to include a reason. What should I say if the principal asks me why I am leaving especially since I am leaving during the school year?

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2011

Say you are leaving for personal reasons and leave it at that.

Is this your first teaching job?

8. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Oct 10, 2011

A resignation letter really only needs to be one line - "Please accept this letter as notification of my resignation from _____ as of _____." You can add another line about thanking them for the opportunity, but keep it as clean as possible. You never know when something in writing can come back to haunt you. Saying the profession isn't a good match for you may stigmatize you. You never know how people are going to pop up in your life ten years from now or what opportunities will present themselves.

I'd also caution you against making blanket statements about the people, district or profession if somebody asks you why you're leaving or if you have to go through an exit interview. Just chalk it up to personal reasons, nobody else's business. Whatever you do, don't let on that the stress is a problem. I'm not sure you'll find ANY profession without its stresses. Never, EVER use that to explain leaving a job, especially when you're asked in an interview why you left a previous position. There just isn't a lot of sympathy out there for it. Everybody is stressed.

Bottom line - less disclosure is better. Say as little as possible about your feelings. Stick to facts; I'm leaving on this day.

9. shabrie

shabrie Rookie

Oct 10, 2011

Yes, Im not planning on returning to a teaching job in an elementary school. I know leaving during the year is not a good career move but Im okay with that since I wont be looking for another teaching job. Thank you for your input.

10. shabrie

shabrie Rookie

Oct 10, 2011

Thank you Jen12 for your advice. Im glad I came here to ask before I resigned.

11. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Oct 10, 2011

Make sure you leave them ample time to get a replacement.

Definitely stick with personal reasons. Don't give in to the desire to gripe/whine/express your feelings about teaching. It isn't helpful to you or to them. Thank them for the opportunity. Done.:D

12. shabrie

shabrie Rookie

Oct 10, 2011

Is two weeks notice sufficient? I'm turning in my two weeks notice this week. So my last day will be the last week of the quarter. I figured whoever is coming in after me will be able to start fresh with grades.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 10, 2011

Resignation "letter" is a bit of a misnomer. I've never seen one that was more than a sentence or two.

I resigned from a coaching position due to illness. "This letter is to inform you of my resignation as head coach of the SCHOOL POSITION effective DATE. I have enjoyed my many years of coaching, but due to illness I am no longer able to fulfill my job duties effectively. Thank you for the opportunity to work with the SCHOOL TEAM."

When I resigned from another position, I was just doing so because I didn't like doing it anymore. It was a pain in the butt, and I wanted to be DONE with it. "This is to inform you of my resignation as POSITION at SCHOOL effective DATE. " Short. Effective. No burned bridges.

As to how much notice, that might be the tricky part. If you are under contract, you might have trouble leaving before your contract is over. Many places will put a hold on your teaching certificate for breaking a contract.

14. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Oct 10, 2011

Yikes. Definitely look at your contract. Even if you don't ever plan to teach again, look at your contract. Don't leave the school in a lurch. Let your contract dictate the timing.

15. shabrie

shabrie Rookie

Oct 10, 2011

I've looked it over and it doesn't say anything about giving notice. I called HR anonymously and a lady told me people usually give two weeks and they start processing you out right away.

16. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Oct 10, 2011

Honestly, it can be as simple as one line. Something like, "I hereby submit my resignation effective (insert date).

17. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 10, 2011

I would personally wait until a break- even Thanksgiving Break. That way the kids will have a smoother transition. If you really can't make it two more weeks, then don't try to do that.

18. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Oct 12, 2011

I wish you would stick it out until you find something else. You won't be able to collect unemployment if you resign.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 12, 2011

I agree w/ everyone...short & sweet. I remember when I had one of my first jobs at Carl's Jr. back in college. I typed up a short & sweet resignation letter when I quit that job after a year & a half. I've done it w/ all my jobs & given 2 wks notice.

So, what do you plan to do next w/ your life? :)