Resignation Issues

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by teacher2223, Aug 21, 2015.

1. teacher2223

teacher2223 New Member

Aug 21, 2015

I am in desperate need of advice. I started this year in a district that appeared well organized and academically motivated. I was hired, completed PD. Prior to school even starting, I found out the area around the school is unsafe (to put it mildly) after hours. I had 3 separate incidents with non-school folks approaching me as I left after hours. One incident, while it did not become violent, should have prompted a police call but I was too shaken & not thinking right. School started, school refused to provide me any supplies, insisted it was on students alone and my own funds (which were limited from moving) until it was approved in 6-8 weeks. Six students total brought pencils and little else. Tried to teach with what I could get/afford. Principal was unhappy right away, said I'd be docked on my first evaluation when it came around. I was also told discipline is non-existent, principal told me not to bother sending them over and no teacher issued detention or referrals would be honored. Classroom management was a nightmare as kids knew nothing was in place. I was told the previous teacher left due to a nervous breakdown. I'm afraid I wasn't too far behind, I started having severe panic attacks and was hospitalized for 3 days due to blood pressure fluctuations and other stress related issues. I realized these issues (and many, many more which would take up too much space to describe, too) were a breaking point. They told us all they don't do contract releases, only resignations. Beyond overwhelmed, I tried to resign, but they refused it. I sent it certified, they won't sign or pick it up. Everyone involved has got together now and is agreeing I have not attempted to contact them or resign, I am abandoning my contract without cause if I quit. I am unsure who all I should contact, but they won't stop harassing me about wanting to leave. I don't care at this point if my license gets pulled, I just want to get far away from the school and left alone. I am only worried because they threatened legal action and extreme fines if I follow through and I don't have any extra income for legal assistance or fines. They haven't even paid me at all since I worked there, either.

3. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Aug 21, 2015

OMG, I am so sorry to hear it! What an awful experience! Is there a union official you can approach for help? Anyone at the school, a fellow teacher, perhaps? You do have the receipt for the certified letter of resignation, right? That's proof that you tried to resign right there. I'd be calling in sick every day and continuing my attempts to serve them my resignation letter, documenting every step. This job isn't worth risking you safety and your health!

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2015

I year ago your experience would have shocked me. After teaching in a school not a whole lot better than yours sounds, I can tell you that you have to put yourself first. It sounds like you are doing that, which is a good start :)

If you have a union, contact them. If not, I'd contact your state's education department to see what they can do to your license.

After my nightmare year, I've done a lot of research on companies that hire with any four-year degree. Are you anywhere near any of these cities?
    Detroit, MI; Cleveland, OH; Scottsdale, AZ; San Diego, CA; Cerritos, CA; Denton, TX; Fort Worth, TX; Dallas, TX; Pittsburgh, PA; Coraopolis, PA; Charlotte, NC; Cullman, AL; Ashdown, AR; Henderson, NV; Charleston, SC; Park City, UT
    Feel free to private message me if you are and I can get you some information. Another option- life insurance sales, car insurance sales, and car sales will always hire. If you have the personality, you can make six figures.

5. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Aug 22, 2015

I'm very, very sorry about what you're going through. I agree with the other two teachers who replied--contact your union if you have one. Unions have attorneys who are prepared to help teachers in various situations, including ones like yours.

Is it possible for your doctor to issue a letter stating that a medical leave of absence is necessary in your position?

I hope that things get better for you soon.

6. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Aug 22, 2015

I had a similar circumstance earlier in my career. I came in extra early one day, left a resignation letter on the principal's desk, mailed another to human resources, cleaned out my room and left before anyone showed up for the day. Someone told me they could try to hold me to a 60-day notice clause - I replied they could hold me to whatever they wanted to hold me to, when there was no one in front of that classroom on Monday, they could run around yelling, "60 days! 60 days!" all they want. I won't be there and they'll still need to find someone.

You've done all anyone could reasonably expect of you. My bet is, a school district as disorganized as the one you've described wouldn't have their act together enough to file the paperwork with your state department of education. :)

7. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 22, 2015

WOW. So brave. Did that affect you finding a new job at all? (Did future employers call the school/district for a reference?)

8. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Aug 23, 2015

Nope. It's never been an obstacle for me. :)

9. The Fonz

The Fonz Math teacher (for now...)

Aug 23, 2015

THIS!

As I said in other threads about the "threat of revoking licenses, etc" no school district will do anything. Here is a great example.

My AP told me a great story about his Nephew. He started the school year and a week later was offered an AP job when he tried to leave the school told him he was under contract and would be sued and have his license revoked. He told HR "try and sue me." They never did. He went on to be the AP and 8 years later he is now the Principal of the school.

10. teacher2223

teacher2223 New Member

Aug 25, 2015

Thank you so much everyone for your support and advice. I truly appreciate it at this time.

I finally had the opportunity to drop off the letters onto the necessary desks early one morning without interference. Additionally, after consulting legal advice, I was advised to mail the letters again to the designated individuals via regular or registered mail. I was told that if a certified letter is refused by the on-site addressee but the identical regular/registered mail version is retained without a “Return to Sender” within one week it is legally considered to have been accepted by the designated recipient.

In what I’ve come to realize is their usual style, they proceeded to engage in unprofessional behavior after (I presume) they found the letters again. Someone with far too much time on his or her hands, to my understanding, located the phone numbers and addresses of several of my relatives and proceeded to have HR representatives call and physically show up to harass them [relatives] about my resignation so they would try pressuring me back into my position. One relative threatened to call the police yesterday morning and the shenanigans have since stopped. Today is my first day of peace and silence, I feel relieved. Unfortunately, I don’t think I have heard the last of them.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 25, 2015

Whoa. Ok, that is crossing the line. They cannot harass your family members for anything. I would be contacting a lawyer at this point.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2015

Agreed. I would not hesitate to contact a lawyer for harassment.