Resignation Advice

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ksmomy, Dec 30, 2013.

1. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Dec 30, 2013

When any of you have resigned, have you gone to your director/principal and told them verbally or just handed in your letter of resignation? Also, are you honest if there is an exit interview listing any problems you have had or do you just say as little as possible and move along? I'm feeling a little nervous because I don't think it is going to be received very well.

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Dec 30, 2013

I turned in my resignation from my preschool teaching position a few weeks ago. I was nervous, especially since it is hard to get to talk to my director in private (there are always people around). I just finally asked at the end of the day if I could talk to her in private, provided a short verbal explanation, and handed her my letter. It turned out fine and no one yelled or was rude to me then or after - I didn't expect that, but I was still worried anyway, because I knew they wouldn't be especially happy about it. So, just be professional. If your director is professional as well, they should be okay about it, even if they aren't thrilled to get the news. It's normal to leave a job, and it's their job to be okay with dealing with that news.

4. Missus James

Missus James Rookie

Dec 31, 2013

I have done it both ways. I have asked to speak with them privately to tell them verbally. There were two instances were verbal was enough. I didn't need to fill out any paperwork or give a resignation letter because I was still within the probationary period (90 days). There is another instance where I told an employer verbally gave them my two weeks notice (to be kind but I didn't even want to stay that long) and luckily they requested a resignation letter and said that once I got the letter in their hand, I was free to leave.

Then there was an instance where my director was literally never there. When she was at work, you could never find her. Our numbers were always so much over ratio, there were always two or more of us in the room to accommodate. So we could never leave to use the restroom. The front office never came to break us for bathroom breaks. We could only cover for each other during lunch because that is the only time, legally two of us could leave the room and one could stay to watch the children. We could never find her during our lunch breaks because she and the assistant director were always taking 2-3 hour lunches (around the time everyone else started taking lunches) and wouldn't pop back up until the very last person's lunch break was over.

So I honestly could only hand in my resignation letter because I was tired of trying to hunt her down. So one morning when the assistant director was there, I gave her an envelope to give the director. Literally, like thirty minutes later, the director popped up out of nowhere in a panic and she wanted to talk to me. She even had the assistant director cover me (which never ever ever ever happened) while she talked to me.

Her mood just turned from desperate to straight-up nasty.

When I did my exit interview, I was vague but to the point. It really depends on the relationship you had with your director. That basically determines how you form your responses. If you had a good or decent relationship then you could say:

"This center isn't a right fit for me, but I do thank you for allowing me to explore my passion for teaching young children."

"I am looking for an work opportunity closer to home for personal/family reasons."

"I am seeking to further advance my education and I am seeking a job with more flexibility and understanding towards my educational needs and closer to the school/home."