Resign or not have contract renewed

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by anewstart101, Feb 6, 2009.

1. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Feb 6, 2009

This is a cross post not sure what form it should be in.

Okay I posted a couple days ago. I know the decision is all my own but I need to hope this post is read by people who have been there I need advice or words of wisdom

background information
    single parent
    special ed teacher
    parent of a child with autism
    a first year special education teacher
    I have worked my way off of public assistance

I was told Monday my contract is not going to be renewed.

today I was a given a paper and told to sign it . It was a resignation form. I did not sign it.

What are the draw backs of each. . .I do not if resign that means no employment or any services because of resigning.

I just need to provide for my son and make things continously better for him.

any words of wisdom from those who have been down either road.

Stephanie

3. newexperiences

newexperiences Rookie

Feb 6, 2009

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 6, 2009

I think with the way the economy is today you should let yourself be non-renewed, mainly because you then should be eligible to receive unemployment benefits. If you resign now you will always have to tell prospective employers that you resigned to avoid termination. This is how I think it would work, but you should definitely talk to your union and find out what their advice is and check out your state employment laws, but I wouldn't sign their paper until you give it some thought. It seems like they are trying to force you to sign to avoid paying you unemployment.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2009

:agreed: Jessica.

6. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Feb 6, 2009

Thank you!

I researched my options on my situation and I have decided to let them not renew my contract. . .

I am a single parent of a child with autism and this decision will most help me provide for my son. . .

I am okay with the decision.

7. read

read Rookie

Feb 7, 2009

Don't feel bad. You might be a great teacher, but the principal might be like most - just wants everyone doing the same thing so parents don't keep wondering what's up, making annoying phone calls.

8. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Feb 9, 2009

I was in this position last year. They told me that it 'looks better' if you resign rather than have been let go. But I think that's not true. They just don't want to pay unemployment. If you QUIT (resign), you cannot collect unemployment. Be careful what you do here. If you may need unemployment, make them let you go.

In my case, I signed the doggone paper because I already had another job.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2009

I think you made the right choice. I was in this position last year (and who knows, maybe this year). My contract was not renewed. I was not given a reason (they won't give a reason unless you are being let go for cause because they don't have to and to cover their collective a**es. Several other first and second year teachers in the district were also not renewed, including one other at my small school. The district had declining enrollment and needed to reduce teaching staff. I put this all in my explanation for the "not renewed" yes answer and had no trouble getting interviews of landing a job. The assistant superintendent I interviewed with even said a lot of applicants had similar stories.

10. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Feb 9, 2009

Thank you for your comments

11. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2009

Thank you everyone! I'm in the same situation. There is a similar thread I started under Preservice teachers for some other opinions.

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 12, 2009

I think in this economy, you're safe being non-renewed. My school 'laid' me off before Christmas. Actually, they fired me for a difference in philosophy, but had no solid proof and knew the parents would be furious, so they promised to say they laid me off for no reason so I could get unemployment. Anyhow, EVERYONE is getting laid off, so no one even blinks when I tell them I was laid off. That's basically what a non-renewal is, especially with the coming budgets.

13. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2009

Yep. The downside is that being a non-renewed probationary you can no longer work in the same school district. My district is very large, over 20 elementary schools. It kinda sucks being essentially "banned" from working for any school in the entire school district, but that's how they say it has always been.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2009

Yup!! I spoke with my superintendent at the school district I resigned at, and she said that they only way I could ever work for them again is if I go into junior high.

15. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2009

It doesn't make sense that you get a non-reelect and you are not allowed to work anywhere in the district. It makes you feel like a criminal. Actually criminals get off easier.

16. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Feb 13, 2009

My district has over 60 elementary schools. . .I can not help but get very upset over this. . .I signed a grant to be trained to work in this district for 3 years for $5000 and now this. . .a couple other of my friends in special education have also been non-renewed. . .

When I hear about the budget and everything. . .I am not sure how good finding a new job is going to be. . .

even in special education

I know in my district they have offered general education teachers who may be riffed the opportunity to transfer into special education and the costs of the education will be paid for as long as they agree to work a specific number of years for the district. . .

They are making room for special education positions. . .

I wonder how many other districts may be doing this. . .

I know job fairs are comming up but who knows.

17. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Feb 13, 2009

Just curious - is there a difference between being laid off and not having your contract renewed? I don't understand the concept of not being able to work in the district again. If you resign can you work in the district again?

18. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2009

I asked that, and was told "no".

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2009

Being laid off, or pink slip, means they cannot garentee you a spot. They would like to keep you if they can, but at the moment, there isn't a job position for you.

Having your contract not renewed means they don't want you back. Period.

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 13, 2009

Oh, I didn't realize that. I thought non-renewed was the same as being laid off. So really, it's being fired without the word 'fired'.

That stinks.

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2009

Yup. Totally stinks. And, either way (if you resign or let them go through the non-renewal process) you can never work for the district again. Yup, it's like being a criminal who did something horribly wrong (even though, you may have ended up working for a P who was an utter nightmare)

22. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Feb 13, 2009

depressomg :confused:

23. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Feb 13, 2009

depressing

24. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2009

Malcolm,
    If I start over in a new school district (which is my only option)
    will I be probationary again there for 2 more years? (putting off tenure?) Also, who do you think ultimately decides to non-reelect, the P. or the school district? Thanks!

25. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2009

If you go to a new district, you will probably start over as prob 1, although, they may take your previous years as credit when deciding where you are on the pay scale.

At my school district, it was the P who chose who to non-reelect.

26. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2009

Ok, thank you.

27. cbailey2300

cbailey2300 New Member

Mar 24, 2009

Stephanie,

I am in the same situation. I am a second year special ed. teacher who have asked to resign or take a non-renewal. I do not know what to do. I do not agree with resigning and am not sure if it will really help with getting another job, because new principals like to talk to old principal and I do not think I would have a good reference. I wonder if I would have some kind of a chance with a non-renewal. I feel bad for you because you are a single parent with a child to care for and I am sure health insurance and his doctors are important. The economy is not the best, so it is really a bad time. Are they giving you a deadline as to when to resign? Will it be automatic non-renewal if you do not resign? Why are they not renewing your contract and asking you to resign?

Catrina