Resign or Non-Renew? Unemployment?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by chasisaac, May 20, 2015.

1. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

May 20, 2015

As a reminder to my friends who find themselves in this situation if you resign there are no unemployment benefits.

If you are non-renew apply for unemployment ASAP. Or as soon as the school year ends. IF you wait the three months you may not be eligible. Yes, this means filling out the weekly paperwork for weeks while getting paid.

TLDR: Apply for unemployment the day school ends. DO NOT WAIT.

3. slippers

slippers Rookie

May 21, 2015

I have had the unhappy pleasure of being non-renewed and I did resign in lieu of being officially 'non-renewed.'

Most states know now that this is really a termination and if you can express that clearly and simply, then you should get unemployment. Really, it is a termination and there's no way around that. I taught many years ago and came back to teaching in the last four years or so and it was shocking to see the revolving door of new hire/non-renewal.

For what it's worth, I taught over twenty years ago and being non-renewed wasn't even heard of. Most districts would give you up to three years to get it together if you were a new teacher and then decide to let you go. But - they also supported you and the environment was completely different. So - these days it's a strange scenario and I don't understand why teachers are treated so much as disposable tissues to be thrown out after a one time use, so to speak.

4. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

May 22, 2015

When I was non-renewed last year after being given basically no negative feedback, no support, no guidance, the teachers who had been in the district for 20+ years were shocked. They were shocked at the lack of support, the lack of feedback, and the lack of a chance that I was given. Your comparison to tissues is spot on, sadly. Because I wasn't EXACTLY what they wanted, instead of helping me grow and develop into what they wanted, they threw me away like a used tissue.

When did this change?! What happened that has caused this trend? It's incredibly disheartening and really has made maintaining my passion for teaching a challenge.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 22, 2015

:hugs: You are not alone.
    I was fortunate to begin my career at an amazing school. I knew I was lucky, but since leaving, I can really see how great the staff and P were. I've seen some scary administration since I've left.

6. Teacher Gal

Teacher Gal Rookie

May 23, 2015

Re:

Be careful about this. At least in my state, you can not apply the day school ends. You can only file for unemployment beginning on the last day of your contract (typically June 30) because you are technically still employed and are being paid for the entire month of June. However, I would apply on the date your contract ends and not wait.