Research Skills

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by teach2020, May 1, 2009.

1. teach2020

teach2020 Rookie

May 1, 2009

Hello all--

I'm a second year teacher... and I'm totally stumped as to where to take the kids next. Our state tests are all over (thank goodness) and was thinking about working on their research skills. Does anyone have any good resources or tips on introducing 4th graders in Texas on researching and turning that research into an essay?

Thanks!

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 1, 2009

You could select the websites you want students to visit and then use a free service like sqworl.com to give the students 1 URL to visit those sites. If you want to see more about sqworl and how it was used for our 5th graders Civil War project, PM me and I will give you the URL to my tech in ed blog.

4. K_luv30

K_luv30 Rookie

May 17, 2009

One tidbit I learned is to make sure you discuss plagarism and what it means. 4th graders (at least mine) didn't know what copyrights or trademarks were. So model and practice notetaking and writing in their own words A LOT before sending them on their own.

5. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

May 18, 2009

We just finished research papers. First, we modeled the whole paper including, notecards (notetaking), outline, bibliography and finally the paper itself. We broke it into categories: introduction, description, habitat, babies (offspring), diet, predators, interesting facts and conclusion. The paper ends up being eight paragraphs long. We guided them through the whole thing. Then we had them choose and animal they wanted to research (word of advise prechoose first and then have them choose from that) and they went through the entire process themselves. They also have to do a visual aid and a class presentation. Good luck!