Research Reports

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by LoVe 2 TcH, Feb 4, 2009.

1. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Feb 4, 2009

Hello All,

I teach 7th grade English and would like to have my students do a research paper and have it lead into a persuasive essay... In the past I have done animals, but would like a new subject...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Feb 9, 2009

When I taught English, I assigned a quarter-long paper on great Americans. For example, FDR, Ronald Reagan, Stephen Hawking, Nelle Harper Lee, etc.

Students needed at least 5 sources; only two could be Internet. These sources needed to prove their thesis:

"_________ is truly a great American. He/she has displayed _______, _______, and _________ in every aspect of their life."

I required index cards with the 3.1, 4.2, etc. set up, a works cited page, and a cover page.

It took a lot of class time as they did not know and have never been exposed to text citations. And MLA certainly doesn't make it easy to pick up quickly.

4. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Feb 9, 2009

Our school is a science, arts, and technology magnet, so we have a science focus even in Language Arts. Some topics students have done research on are: genetic-engineered food crops, stem cells, animal testing for hygiene products, organ donation, and influential scientists.