Research question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by USMCTCHR, Sep 15, 2007.

1. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Sep 15, 2007

Besides being a first year teacher, I am also in graduate school. I need a research question for my class. I'm having trouble thinking of something because next semester I am actually going to have to CONDUCT the research experiment.

HELP!

What are your questions or wonderings about education? If you have done this before, what did you research?

I would appreciate ANY help!! :help: TIA

3. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Sep 15, 2007

This most likely will not be something you want to look into, but for my grad class, I am currently looking at the benefits of Full-DAy Kindergarten over half-day. I want to know if this trend is just for customer service, or if there is a social and/or academic benefit for the students.

4. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Sep 15, 2007

Just hearing what others have done is helpful!

Our professor said to ask educators what questions they have.

I wanted to do something with inclusion for special needs, but there would be no way for me to have a control group.

Other thoughts I've had are about cooperative learning. UGH! I'm stuck.

Thanks for your help!

5. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Sep 16, 2007

You could still do something with inclusion...Why can't you compare typical student attitudes regarding students with special needs included in their class versus those who are in self-contained classrooms? You could go in a bunch of directions here....
    You could interview siblings of children with disabilities and see if they are more accepting of students with disabilities then their classmates. You could also compare parent attitudes toward children with special needs in inclusive classrooms with those in a non-inclusive classroom.

6. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Sep 16, 2007

Something on that line is a GREAT idea. Also, the county schools here DON'T have full inclusion, so I could interview and compare the kids' attitudes at the schools with inclusion as compared to those here without.

GREAT IDEA!!!! I'll email my professor and let you know what he thinks. THANK YOU!!!

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2007

I agree that the inclusion question for research would be very beneficial. You could also do some sort of question for your research based on a certain program you are using and it's effectiveness? Or perhaps a social curriculum that your school might use???
    Mine was on the effectiveness of the Second Step Program. GOOD LUCK!

8. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Sep 16, 2007

Awesome! I am actually in a research class right now and I am doing a research proposal that looks at the effectiveness of preschool inclusion programs for children with autism. My hypothesis is that preschoolers with autism will make more progress on their IEP goals in an inclusion classroom using the LEAP curriculum model as opposed to being in a self contained program. As a second layer to this proposal, I want to compare whether the children in the inclusion program make more progress if the "typical peers" in their class are preschool age siblings as opposed to unfamiliar same age peers.

9. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Sep 16, 2007

Sounds interesting tchecse!

Well, my professor approved of my research question. I think it will be VERY interesting to see how society views the EC children and working with them.

I'm not sure yet, but my hypothesis will be something along the lines of the fact that I think children in the full inclusion classrooms are more accepting and have a better understanding of these children and that the special needs children can function in society better than when in a self contained program.

Still working on it, but you get the idea. THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!!

10. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Sep 16, 2007

This is absolutely the case...If you need research articles/sources to back this up, let me know...I am sure I have stuff here somewhere:)

11. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Sep 22, 2007

Okay, due to "conflict of interst"...I'm back to something with cooperative learning. Don't ask me what.

12. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Sep 22, 2007

What is the conflict of interest? The school getting worried that parents who want inclusion or don't want inclusion might get upset? Sorry...That is what my county would say-GRRR!

What about using a developmental psychologist theory and comparing this between children familiar with kids with disabilities and those that aren't? I did a paper on this for my first grad school project. I asked kids who had siblings with disabilities of three different ages the same basic questions....if a kid in a wheelchair wanted to play soccer with you, what would you do? What does the word disability mean? etc. When you compare their responses with some of the developmental psychology theories of cognition etc., these children are at a higher level that peers with typical siblings....Just an idea. I have my paper somewhere I could send you to read and then adjust to fit into a research theme....Let me know