Research project on the effect of mobile phones in school, college

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by marydoll, Apr 20, 2005.

1. marydoll

marydoll Rookie

Apr 20, 2005

Hi

Any views on how you feel about Mobile Phones in the classroom?

I am doing a research project and I need to try and find out information on what the effects of Mobile phones and technology as a whole.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, surveys, results etc. I also need to find out what impact this has on education. Love to hear your views.

marydoll

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 20, 2005

I personally don't think that students should have them in the classroom. I do have my own on at all times for emergencies. My students do not have access to it. I'm outside in a modular building, so I want to be sure we're ready for anything.

4. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Apr 20, 2005

You might find the article Schools saying no to cell phones in the classroom of interest when it comes to dealing with cells and secondary education students.

As for students at high education instututes, I don't mind the students having them, but I feel they should be turned off or on vibrate when in classes.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 20, 2005

Middle school and High school have a strict policy. If it is out (that means seen) during school hours, it will be confiscated (sp?). The only way for a student to get it back is for the parent to come up to the school and get it from the office. If a phone is taken once at school, more than likely it will not be taken again (due to the parents taking it away from the student, or having a stern talk with the student). Parents get mad for having to come to school and get it, but both the parent and student sign a waiver at the beginning of the year.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 20, 2005

They were a big issue when I was in college... several professors had "I don't want to see them" policies, although I ted to agree with Elizabeth, that they should be off or on vibrate during class... I've had profesors do everything from ignoring them to making a wisecrack to simply going, "turn them OFF" when they've rung during class. I think the vast majority of students don't need them on, but i *do* understand that there are times when they'ren ecessary and hvae no problem with it.

I don't think kids in elementary or middle school should have them, period. Most places I've been have said they should be off and in lockers during the day or they're confiscated.

Biggest problem I've seen with their use in high school and colleges now is that it's another way to cheat... with text messaging and camera phones, it would make stealing a copy of the test and/or assisting people with answers far too easy. Again, I feel they should not be in use during class, so it SHOULDN'T be an issue, although it is...

7. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Apr 20, 2005

I would LOVE it if my kids would bring a phone to school and actually use it--man, we'd have those independent functioning IEP goals mastered in no time! Long term, that's a really great skill for them to use, very survival/life-skills based. But alas, no such luck. Although I do let them use my cell phone frequently. But once again, I only have six kids, its not the same as most people's classrooms.

8. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Apr 21, 2005

I actually had a college professor answer a student's phone once when it rang in class. It was a small class - no more than 30 students, so when it rang, she walked over to the student and asked for the phone. The student didn't really know what to think, so she handed it to her, and answered it. She then told the person calling that "Edna" was in class and would have to call her back. "Edna" was mortified, and I bet she always remembered to turn her phone off after that!

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 21, 2005

I had a professor who told us at the start of the year that if a phone rang in her class, she was answering it, just before she threw it out the window... needless to say, no phones rang in that class