Research project help...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by speducator, Nov 6, 2006.

1. speducator

speducator Rookie

Nov 6, 2006

My 5th grade students have to do a research project. I am looking for a research topic that has lots of information and is easy to undertsand (since I have kids on very different reading/cognitive levels). I was thinking states, but one of the other classes is already doing that topic so I might have to choose something else. They did animals and biomes last year. Anyone have any ideas??? Thanks.

3. Heart2Heart

Heart2Heart Rookie

Nov 6, 2006

Since it's election time, they can do projects on the presidents or certain democratic or republican candidates that are running for office now.

4. speducator

speducator Rookie

Nov 6, 2006

I was actually just thinking about Presidents. That might be a good idea. I am actually having a hard time fitting in this research project. I have 2 reading programs to follow with these students (Wilson 3 days a week and then their regular Harcourt reading series the other 2), so fitting this in will be a challenge. That is why I am really trying to find a topic where it will not be hard to find information. I am definitely adding Presidents to my list. Thanks.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2006

How about a topic you KNOW they would love to learn more about?

-sports: their favorite sport- its history and rules

-science: whales, bears, sharks,
    volcanoes, hurricanes, tornadoes

6. Teacher-AK

Teacher-AK Rookie

Nov 6, 2006

What are they learning about in social studies? In California 5th graders learn about U.S. History. I am going to have my students make an A-Z book about the Revolutionary War. They are also doing state reports in the form of travel brochures.

7. bernie

bernie Rookie

Nov 6, 2006

We do research papers on the American Revolution at our school for the fifth-graders. That way we combine language arts and social studies. There are plenty of people to study: G. Washington, B. Franklin, T. Jefferson, S. Adams, etc. as well as events: Boston Tea Party, Intolerable Acts, Valley Forge, etc. There are plenty of books, magazines, and websites with reliable information.

8. speducator

speducator Rookie

Nov 7, 2006

I am only in this school for 2 periods a day, so I do not know what they are currently learning in social studies. It is mandatory that every child in 4th and 5th grade in this school complete a research project with their reading teacher (which is hard when you have 4 kids, are there only 2 periods a day, and have 2 other reading programs to try and squeeze in each week). Their regular ed class is doing biomes but one of my students did that last year, so that is out. I have 2 students who are close to grade level who will have no trouble completing this project. I have 2 others who are only reading/writing on about a 3rd grade level, so it will be more difficult for them.I figured I'd ask here to see what some regular ed teachers would choose for topics. Thanks for the great ideas.

9. goopp

goopp Devotee

Nov 7, 2006

We did Civil War projects because that's what we studied the 1st 9 weeks in 5th grade. They had to do a report and then I had directions for them to make a "person" that looked like the person they were researching. The report went inside the "shirt". They turned out great and the kids loved doing them.

10. IPinPa

IPinPa Rookie

Nov 7, 2006

child inventors and their inventions?

11. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Nov 7, 2006

How about one on their favorite author?
    or on a state?

12. speducator

speducator Rookie

Nov 8, 2006

I think we are going with states (that was my first idea). One of the other classes is doing states too, but the librarian said she would pull out the books for my 4 kids and the other class would just have to choose other states (since I only have 4 kids). Thanks for all your help.