Research Paper

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by imalith, Jan 22, 2008.

1. imalith

imalith Rookie

Jan 22, 2008

I want students to start reading a nonfiction book to get ideas for a research paper. We did a poster/research project for biography at the beginning of this year.

How do you get students to narrow their ideas for a thesis question? Also, I want something other than animal reports. Any advice?

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 22, 2008

I have my kids write a research paper during our study of ancient Greece and Rome. They choose a god or goddess I read them a kids' version of the Odyssey.

4. imalith

imalith Rookie

Jan 23, 2008

resources

What resources do students use for their research?

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 23, 2008

I used to require my students to have at least 1 print resource (encyclopedia, magazine, etc), until I realized that my library's encyclopedias were about 20 years old. Not that Greek gods have changed much in the last 20 years, but I didn't feel it was right to encourage (or force) them to research in an outdated source. The whole point was so that they didn't run to the internet and google it, but realistically, what is the first thing most of us do when we need something? So I require them to have at least one source from an online encyclopedia (not wiki) or other reputable source (I have a list).

We still learn about how to research in print. But it just didn't make sense to me when the rest of the world couldn't tell you the difference between Britannica and Titanic-a.

6. imalith

imalith Rookie

Jan 23, 2008

great ideas. Thanks.

7. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jan 23, 2008

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for requiring your sixth graders to learn to write a research paper! Most of my college students have never learned how. THANK YOU!!!!!

8. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Jan 23, 2008

My 8th graders are about to start a research paper. I am impressed with sixth graders doing one! We are also going to a university library so they can see a big library. Some of them probably have never seen that many books together.

The biggest problem I have with my students is that they really don't know how to say things in their own words. It is going to require a lot of teaching on my part and work on their part!

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 23, 2008

Oooh, I like that idea of going to a university. Too bad I live in the sticks...

Mama, I have alterior motives. I coach the speech team. These kids will be mine in 3 years, with no clue how to research an informative or persuasive speech if I don't at least start with them now.