Research paper: Children learn through play

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by bstcus, Sep 26, 2008.

1. bstcus

bstcus Rookie

Sep 26, 2008

I am currently writing a research paper on Children learn through play.

I have not been able to focus lately. My fibromyalgia is bothering me, I have ADHD, and a 6yr, 4yr, and 6month old at home. My 6 month old has been teething and with school I am getting about 4 hours of sleep everyday. I am just ready to cry. Each time I try to focus on my school work my mind is blank.

Anyway, I am trying to create an outline on my topic. I have read my resources over and over again. I am just blank. Can someone please give me tips or an idea to go off of. Anything would be appreciated.

Please help! I have to get a good grade on this paper or I am going to completely fail this class.

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 26, 2008

I would go to the NAEYC website. They have lots of good resources there about children learning through play. If I remember correctly, go to the part of the website that has their magazine/journal, and there are quite a few articles there.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2008

It's been a zillion years since I wrote a paper, but here are some ideas:

Take a look at the PBS website, and Sesame ST in particular: http://pbskids.org/sesame/caregivers/index.html I bet you could find the research that got Sesame St. Started.

Take a look back at Head Start, the program started by LBJ to bring low SES kids up to par before starting formal schooling. As I recall, research showed that kids from poor economic backgrounds started off behind, and never caught up academically. Because their parents were often working, they didn't have as many of those "learn through play" occasions as kids whose parents were around more, and it effected their academic development.

Also, "Learn through Play" is part of the philosophy of the nursery school my kids attended. Here's the website in case there's something that could help: http://www.hicksvillenurseryschool.com/about.html

5. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 26, 2008

perhaps you can do an introduction that gives a brief overview of HOW children learn through play (cognitive, sensory etc) and the different learning styles (visual, audial, kinetic etc) and go into the different types of play *individual, parellel, pretend etc) and then discuss the different areaa or cneters that are typically found in most child friendly environments (block area , dramatic play, sand and water, table choices etc) and what kind of learning takes place in each.Of course many will overlap and that's ok. You could use that whole concept to wrap it up at the end. Remember . . . ."Play is the work of children" -- here is a quote for you that you could maybe open your paper with--“It should be noted that children at play are not playing about; their games should be seen as their most serious-minded activity.”
    Montaigne

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 26, 2008

You might include some brain development as it relates to learning.

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2008

Look up Jean Piaget, Vtgosky, and Frobel.

Piaget is the father of Constructivism. He coined the phrase that children lean thru play. Unlike direct instruction, children...he felt, learned better when they 'construct' their knowledge. You can give a kid a bat and a ball, and if they spent any time with others, or watched TV, you know they will start playing ball. But what do kids do when they go to an empty park, or playground?

They pick up a rock, and a stick, and start tossing rocks or batting the rock with a stick. They learn cause and effect. If I hit the rock with a stick, it will go far. I believe Vtgosky talked about zone of proximal development... learning from smallest to largest...fine motor to gross motor. And what we do as teachers is scaffolding...like the temporary ladder construction workers make to build things. We scaffold, by building on prior knowledge of the child... we put our hands on theirs, and help them put puzzle pieces in.

Frobel had the first kindergarten, because he believed children should have a 'garden' for learning, and not be isolated in a room. they should learn through observing and exploring natural things. Before Frobel, children were treated like minature adults, and worked long hours with low pay and poor conditions. Education was for the rich and privillged.

the hard part for many people is that they think they have to create a play area, stand there, and direct the children's play, and clean up after them. that is not fun, that is not teaching, that is babysitting!

not on a soapbox...that's my philosophy of education!!!

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2008

Alice??? is that you? How have you been?!

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2008

Hey blue... that brain-based learning... my grad class...very deep stuff!

basic theory...we have brain cells that need to grow. they can't grow without activity. when we are stimulated, brain cells grow and spread out to make new cells, kinda like strawberry plants. Children need strong stimulation the first years of life, so they can grow and develop their brains.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2008

11. Mommateach

Mommateach Rookie

Sep 29, 2008