Research on WHY you do WHAT you do.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WarriorPrncss, Jun 16, 2017.

1. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Jun 16, 2017

Hi all, I am working on my last credential hoop and one portion of my work is that have to cite proof of research of why I do what I do... IE: WHY do I give extended think time when asking higher level questions.

Particularly--- why it's important for Spanish speakers to have extra think time (they need extra time to translate, and that takes a 15 second minimum, etc). I KNOW I've read it somewhere, and I know WHY I do it, but I have to cite actual research. I've know I've found and read it somewhere before, but I have searched high and low on google and cannot seem to find it.

I am wondering if anyone happens to have a link to research or knows where I could find/look for such proof.

Please and Thank You!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2017

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

5. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Jun 20, 2017

Thank you!!! The first mentioned article was the one I was looking for and the second is a wonderful help! Much appreciated!

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 20, 2017

I just Googled "wait time english language learners" and on the first page of the search results Google obligingly delivered the references cited above plus a number of other links; one link that initially looked promising turned out to be about the time that English learners have to wait for appropriate class placements, but another that looks applicable here is http://www.nbexcellence.org/cms_files/resources/FiveStrategiesToUseWithEnglishLanguageLearners.pdf.

Google is neither perfect nor worthless, though - as with any other online resource - certainly it's up to the user to decide what's wheat and what's chaff.