Research on teacher evaluations?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by porque_pig, Dec 5, 2010.

1. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Dec 5, 2010

I posted an article a few weeks ago about Bill Gates and his thoughts on education reform. The thread got a little crazy, but I found a very interesting follow-up article about the teacher evaluations the Gates Foundation is trying to develop. The group is looking into evaluations that are based on both test scores and observations (most likely video observations).

What impressed me: a desire to focus on what good teachers do WELL and to use that information to help other teachers improve.

What still confuses me: what if you don't teach a tested subject? Also, how are video observations done? My department uses a video observation system, but we are usually aware beforehand that we will be taped. I like it, but if it were random, it may be scary (although I suppose that would be an effective way to evaluate teachers).

Here's the article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/04/education/04teacher.html?_r=1&ref=education

What do you all think? The research isn't completed, but could such an evaluation system weed out ineffective teachers?

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 5, 2010

I'm open to ready various ideas on how to evaluate but personally, I HATE being video recorded. It's my own personal problem but it's so bad that I don't want to be considered for Teacher of the Year now because they videotape you (I was considered my 1st year teaching but I didn't have to be videotaped).

4. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Dec 5, 2010

I think an overhaul of the education profession would be a good thing. I would only worry that tying evaluations so closely with test scores would encourage "teaching to the test" in a way that is too much drilling and not enough learning through projects, investigations and other ways that seem to require teachers to be patient with student growth and trust the process. Some teachers seem to overcompensate by drilling and killing knowledge way too much in testing situations.

5. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Dec 5, 2010

There is already way too much teaching to the test. We are always asked about test scores and what the data is to back up our teaching.
    The day that we are allowed to simply teach, things will start to turn around. Its not about more or better evaluations, its about teaching.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 5, 2010

There's a long and interesting conversation on this article going on right now over on the English Companion Ning.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2010

I don't like the idea of using standardized test grades to evaluate teachers. :down:

8. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Dec 5, 2010

This confuses me too. Besides for which, here, K students aren't tested at all. So that means that we're only evaluating teachers from first grade up, even though the foundations for learning are put down in K or earlier. If we are evaluating, we should start at the lowest possible level, because often the problems start at that young age!

I'm not saying we should start testing in K, by the way. I teach pre-k and K, and I would never want my students to be tested-I think it's highly inappropriate. I do think though, that if I were objectively evaluated, and given areas in which I need improvement, along with suggestions, I would definitely be a more effective teacher!

9. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 5, 2010

LOL At one of our weekly meetings we were shown test scores in math and were told we needed to evaluate what we would do differently with our teaching (since the scores are showing how well we are teaching math) and share.

I said "The test scores do not show HOW I am teaching nor how well I am teaching, my high evaluation scores are showing that. The test scores show how well my students are remembering what I am teaching so, I am going to do a, b, and c in order to make sure they are transferring their knowledge from daily work to tests."