Rescued Kitten

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by loveforquantum, Jan 11, 2009.

1. loveforquantum

loveforquantum Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

Last night, when i was on my way home, i found a kitten on the side of the road. He can't be more than six weeks old. Soft hearted me, brought him home. He's so undernourished. He's all skin and bones, and i can't seem to get him to eat anything. I purchased some kitten food, and he wont eat it. I got it wet, and he nibbled it a bit last night, but he wouldn't touch it today. I got him some Cat milk from walmart, and he wouldn't drink it. So i got a nursing bottle and force fed him that way. I'm going to take him the the vet today, but i was just wondering if anyone had some ideas of what i could do until then. He needs to eat something more than milk or he may not make it.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 11, 2009

Awww.... I haven't a clue. I'm curious what the vet says. I'm thinking milk might be all he needs at the moment but I don't know.

4. loveforquantum

loveforquantum Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

He's probably about six weeks, he looks big enough to be though. It appears to me that he's big enough to be eating solid food now... but what do i know? that's why i'm taking him to the vet tomorrow! if we can get him in, that is.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 11, 2009

Maybe if he hasn't been eating, his appetite has shrunk. It may take a lot of loving and reassurance along with some fortified stuff and shots to get the little critter back up to par.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 11, 2009

By the way, welcome to the boards. It's kinda funny to see your first posts over this sweet lost thing. Please keep me apprised.

We had to feed kittens by bottle once because the mom was lost. It turns out we found her on our roof a week later but she wouldn't take the kittens back after all our handling. I don't know how old they were though. That was a long time ago. I would also think at 6 weeks he should eat something but being malnourished, that may be playing havoc on him. Does he seem scared?

7. loveforquantum

loveforquantum Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

I sure hope so! he's so precious, i would love to have a new family pet. My girls are also in love with him already and would be devastated if he died.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 11, 2009

Recently I had to put my 17 year old dog to sleep and our 2 year old pet rat (better pets than you might think!) to sleep. The kids were so much more resilient than me. The cat, on the other hand, has reacted by becoming much more assertive and affectionate than he ever was.

I'm betting though that the vet will give you just the right tips, some fortified stuff, shots and reassurance. I'm guessing the kitten is just so malnourished and maybe a bit scared and lost that it takes some reassurance to get him eating properly again. I'm sure it will be okay. Poor thing! I'm super glad you aren't taking chances and you are taking him to the vet.

9. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 11, 2009

You need to know this. First, Pet Milk and a small bottle. It isn't old enough for solid food. Keep putting it in it's mouth in small amounts. It'll eat. Second, you have to use a warm wet rag to massage its anus so that its bowels will move.

There could be all manner of things wrong with it from worms to feline leukemia but that's not the point. You might want to make a vet appointment and let them do the work for you. I know it's just a kitten and what's the loss....but it's a living thing you've taken on the responsibility to make well. It might cost money and if nothing else, the Vet may take it without charging you anything. Not likely, though.

I took on a two week old kitten once. As I described pet milk, bottle feeding, and warm wet rags plus I made up a mock parent cat in which I used hot tap water to keep the kitten warm. I used a two liter coke bottle covered with two socks.

Good luck.

Edit - well maybe six weeks might be old enough for soft food but I'm not sure. Still a liquid diet would be advisable until it came around.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2009

I have rescued many a kitten on our farm, and this is what we always did. Take some white bread and soak it in the milk and warm it up in the microwave. We would get it to the point that the bread was almost falling apart in the milk and then sort of squeeze it into his mouth. That way he was getting the milk, but also some of the almost liquefied bread. usually you could get them to sort of suck the milk out of the bread and even start to eat it. If this works, than you can gradually up the ratio of bread to milk and hopefully he will start to eat.

Hope this works! I am sure the vet can tell you what to do. I also found my cat outside my apartment and nursed him back to health, and I wouldn't know what to do without him, now!

11. loveforquantum

loveforquantum Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

heh.. i didn't even realize that this is basically how i'm introducing myself to everyone... Please, don't think i don't care about my students... there isn't much for me to say about them right now.. they're great artists, might i point out.

Anyway,
    Thanks for the welcome! i'm not really new here, i just never got around to creating an account. I suppose i am new in that sense though, eh? no one really know's anything about me, so i guess... did i mention that i get distracted easily? sorry.

um.. No, he's not scared. He was at first, but he's warmed up quite well. He already knows where his litter box is too! i'm amazed. I've never had a kitten before, I've had a cat-not a kitten, Do they usually learn that quick?

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 11, 2009

My mom has rescued everything from baby birds to baby raccoons, it seems like a baby kitten shows up every year, too. Sugar water may do the trick until tomorrow when you get the kitten to the vet (do the vet visit asap). Pet milk can work, too. Young kittens cannot rid themselves of waste (#1 or #2). Hopefully you are seeing signs of #1 or #2, if not, you can massage the tummy area in an effort to stimulate waste movement (the mama licks her kittens to do this). Have a tissue at the ready.

Do a google search on "rescue kitten" and see what else you can learn.

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 11, 2009

A confessed lurker! :p You know us but we don't know you (yet). :D Nah, I didn't think you didn't care about your students. This is your first concern because it is an immediate issue. We'll hear all about your wonderful students and your trials along the way soon enough.

14. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jan 11, 2009

Awwww!!! :) How wonderful of you to rescue the little guy! DH and I rescued a tiny 4-week-old kitten a couple of years ago. (Actually our old dog rescued the kitten and kept him safe and warm until I found him when I came out to feed the dog her dinner.) He barely ate anything his first day, but I did give him KMR. DH's grandmother also had us feed him baby food (it worked, didn't make him sick), and then gave us some wet cat food she gives to her cat. I'd mix the KMR in with them so he was getting nutrients. I bought kitten food, too, and would moisten/soften it with KMR. The first couple of nights, I was getting up every few hours to try to feed him and make sure he was warm. Due to DH's allergies we couldn't keep the kitty, but fortunately his grandmother took him in. He's now an obnoxious 2.5-year-old who LOVES to torment his older brother. :D

The one thing I read online (before we could get him to the vet) is that you cannot bottle feed a kitten while it's on it's back (like you'd feed a baby). I guess the milk can get into its lungs or something. When is the vet appt? Keep us posted!!

ETA: First, welcome!! Second, I forgot about wiping the kitten's behind-- we had to do that too. It seems from your last post that the kitten already knows what to do, which is awesome! I remember how proud DH and I were when Lucky used the litter box for the first time for both #1 and #2 (of course, both were in front of DH... not me :rolleyes: ). Both happened the second day we had him; we joked that if we're that good with a kitten, can you imagine how awesome we'd be with potty-training a baby?!? :p You definitely got some great advice!! You should post a picture!!!

15. loveforquantum

loveforquantum Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

you really think he's too young to have solid food? I've been feeding him cat milk from walmart from a bottle, but i think he looks old enough to eat solid foods. he doesn't like it (bottle), and i've more or less been force feeding him from the bottle. he hasn't had much though. He's nibbled on some watered down dry food, but wont actually eat it...

16. loveforquantum

loveforquantum Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

First, what is KMR?

!?!?!?Not on it's back! oops. i'll remember that. Hopefully we'll be able to get him in to the vet tomorrow. we're going to try. If not, we'll have to set up an appt. Hopefully they'll let us in without one. They've been closed since i saved him...

17. loveforquantum

loveforquantum Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

...:eek:

sorry.

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 11, 2009

Hehe, nah....It's a pain to have to register for a website, no matter how great it is, BUT I think you'll be glad you did. It's a wonderful place of support, ideas with a good sense of community. Welcome aboard. I'm just giving you a hard time.v;)

19. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jan 11, 2009

Sorry... KMR: Kitten Milk Replacement. :blush:

I could be wrong on the "not on its back" (there are far more experienced kitten rescuers here, so maybe they can correct me), but I remember reading that online on a number of places. I'm sure he's fine, though. I only mentioned it because I did it myself the first time I tried to feed Lucky, before I researched how to take care of him. My husband had to calm me down because I thought I was going to kill the little guy. :(

ETA: Again I forgot to add something: We didn't get Lucky into a vet until nearly a week after having him. My GMIL wanted to take him to her vet (who is awesome), and he is only open two or three days a week. He did have a case of the sniffles from being outside, so we had to give him amoxicillin (sp?) for two weeks.

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 11, 2009

My youngest rescues were less than a day old :(. The mama died hours after giving birth.

KMR is "THE" comercially prepared kitten formula, for the poster that asked.

Now, onto the question. He's probably old enough, from what you're describing, to be eating solid food; however, any number of problems, from weakness to infection could be keeping him from eating the solid food (and by solid, I mean moistened and soft). In the best case senario, he's malnourished and the extra calories from the KMR (or other brand, though KMR is the most common) will do him good. In the worst case senario, his gums are infected and he's physically incapable of eating by himself. Now, what I would probably do at this point is soak a little bit of dry food in the formula. It has to soak for a LONG time to get soft enough to mash with a fork, so put it in the fridge. Warm it up before you feed it to him, but make sure you don't get it too hot. If you can put a dab on your wrist and not feel any change in temp. then you're good. Serve it to him mashed up. You may need to dab a little on his nose so, as he licks it off, he learns that this is food. It's a long tedious process sometimes.

You say he's using the litter box. That's great news. Cats almost instinctively use a little box. Usually, all you have to do is show it to them a few times and they're good to go. If he's using it on his own that means he's at least 4 weeks old and probably doesn't need much stimulation, if any, to go potty. You might want to do it anyway because he may be "holding back". Feel his belly. If it's hard and distended, you have a problem. If it's soft you probably don't have any critical issues.

Remember, if he's been out in the wild, all this is new to him. He may not recognize kitten food and formula as "food". You'll have to teach him, by offering it frequently, that it's good stuff.

Good luck. Let us know what the vet says.

21. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2009

WHAT? Never heard of Cat Milk before. :help:

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 11, 2009

But cats ARE mammals: there's got to be cat milk. The challenge comes in collecting it, of course...

Sorry:couldn't resist. (Bad TG! No catnip for me, that's for sure.)

I suspect shrodee was referring to the stuff that other posters have called KMR, or perhaps a knockoff version of the same thing.)

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 11, 2009

TeacherSandra, what he's refereing to is a kitten "formula". It's simply a replacement for mother's milk, exactly as baby formula is a replacement for breast milk for a human baby. Since the number of abandoned and orphaned kittens has reached endemic levels, comercially prepared kitten formula is readily available in pet stores and places like wal-mart. KMR is the most common brand, though there are others.

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 11, 2009

Oh, and the easiest way to do this is to grab him by the middle and let his back paws rest on your legs. Get the nipple into his mouth, so that his head is slightly up, but not too far back. He'll look like he's almost standing on his back legs. Gradually lower his front legs down into your lap, while keeping the bottle in his mouth and his head slightly raised.

25. loveforquantum

loveforquantum Rookie

Jan 12, 2009

Good lord! no, it's not real cat milk. It's called cat milk. It's just basically a formula for cats and kittens. It's apparently easy to digest... at least, that's what the box says...

26. loveforquantum

loveforquantum Rookie

Jan 12, 2009

I'm going to attemp this in a few minutes! It sounds quite difficult...:( But i'm not going to feed him on his back if its going to hurt the little fella.

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 12, 2009

schrodee, it's a little tricky at first, but you'll get the hang of it. I have a sneaky feeling you won't need to do it more than a few times...only enough to get some calories in him and get him stronger.

28. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2009

:lol: ok; thanks for the info. I was picturing a gallon of "Cat Milk" in the refrigerator at the local grocer.

29. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2009

How did the kitty make out today?

30. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2009

Awww! I found my baby in a parking lot when she was 8 weeks old. She was tiny and starving and we don't think she'd seen humans before (she was delivered with a mobile storage unit).

She wouldn't eat unless we hand fed her (I know, I know! But she was starving!) and I fed her wet food because it's mostly water and I wasn't sure if she'd eat dry food right away.

She came around in about a day, but then had the most awful little bitty sneezes and shivers - ended up at the vet's, sitting in a steamy shower, suctioning out her nose, and buying a baby vaporizer for her!

Totally worth it, though - she'd ride around the house on DF's shoulders and is currently a fine, upstanding ball of purr-i-ness.

How did everything go at the vets?