RESA =(

Discussion in 'General Education' started by OUOhYeah, Jun 18, 2018.

1. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 18, 2018

Hello, I am from Ohio and have to pass RESA this year. Basically, it is a reflection sheet about my teaching practice with a video tape. I did not pass it this year and the comments were vauge as to why. I need to pass it this year. Are there any tips with the new version of RESA? I read the scoring guide, looked at the rubrics, and did the suggested things I found from both. Could it just be that this was my first year submitting it?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 18, 2018

I would go over your written responses with your mentor. Did you show exactly how your lesson was guided by state standards and how it built upon previous learning? Did you have accommodations for students who needed them? It's things like that which make a big difference. Also, sometimes the amount of writing in the reflection as well as the depth of introspection makes a difference.

You'll be okay. My biggest suggestion is to start writing weekly reflections on your teaching. It will get you into the zone for the next summative assessment.

4. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 18, 2018

I stated exactly how the lesson was guided by state standards and how it was connected to previous years as well as their prior knowledge. I discussed in-depth the differentiation that I did within my lesson as well as how students were doing Socratic seminar. The biggest comment I got on my rubric was the angle of the camera was not efficient. It also said that I did not show students on my video tape, which it clearly stated in the directions of the guide not to do. So I am confused.

To me this seemed easier than the edTPA and I got a super high score on that when I was in my student teaching semester.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 18, 2018

I know, that part about not showing students is weird. Show the backs of their heads or 3/4 profile so the evaluator knows you aren't talking to an empty room. Beyond that, your best bet is to talk with your mentor or the building program coordinator about your individual results.

6. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jun 18, 2018

I am switching schools I am wondering if my new mentor would be able to help?

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 18, 2018

My only experience in this is anecdotal. I know I took on a RESA candidate (I'm the program coordinator at my school) who was on his third attempt. We went over his previous attempts, I did some observations and made some suggestions, and I assisted him on his lesson planning. He did just fine.

futuremathsprof likes this.