Requiring reading for 5th?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by ManTeacher, Jun 16, 2010.

1. ManTeacher

ManTeacher Rookie

Jun 16, 2010

What are your thoughts on taking grades or allowing kids to participate in activities based solely on the amount of books they read? I teach an inclusion class and don't see a benefit in grading a child based on reading a required amount outside of school. They have so much to take in with new developments in curriculum and state benchmarks that I don't feel like I should force my kids to read. I want them to love to read but I don't think making it a requirement is the way to foster the want to read. I like to take 10 -15 mins of the day and read my personal book with the students while they read their own book to model...reading! Just looking for opinions on the matter as I try to figure out my plan for next year. Thanks.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 16, 2010

The most significant encouragement for reading came from my reading aloud. I read for 30 minutes daily in 5th grade. If you can also give silent reading time during the day, so much the better.

One fun incentive was to give little plastic charms for each book read and reviewed. I ordered the charms and little chains from www.fitnessfinders.net . The kids collected them; there were books and feet ('reading can take you places' was the theme) in all different colors.

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2010

I've always found that those reluctant readers will eventually start reading if everyone else around them is reading and enjoying a good book. So building time in the day for reading is a great idea.

I believe in encouraging reading to take place at home, but it's pretty difficult to prove that it happened. So that would make it hard for me to give them a reward based on that.

How about an agreement with this class, this year, that if they read for twenty minutes silently, they'll get the reward? All you are asking is that they place a book in front of them. You're going to help them pick out one that they'd like. You are going to have book discussions and character discussions as part of your reading class. (Is anyone reading a book in which the character.....? Could you take the book you are reading right now and change the setting? Would the action still occur, or is the setting important to the action?)

With all that discussion and modeling and obvious enjoyment of good literature, the reluctant readers might begin to think that maybe there is something to "reading for enjoyment".

5. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jun 21, 2010

:2cents:Last year in 3rd grade I had the 100% club. My original purpose was to get them to slow down on their reading for Accelerated Reading, but I saw how competitive they got and EVERYONE was reading. I will continue it again for 5th grade. Here's how it works: For every book they read and got a 100% when they tested (A.R), they received a star on a individual chart. Once they received 10 little stars, they got to join the club. Their name was put on a large star, decorated and displayed. I also made mention of them joining in my weekly newsletter! I didn't really care if they read a book that was below their level because eventually, they started to challenge themselves.
    I guess if you don't have Accelerated Reading, you could make up some questions for them to answer. Or, I think there is a website that already has quizzes for many many books. I can't think of the name of it now, but I will post if I think of it.:2cents:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  6. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 21, 2010

Bookadventure.com has online quizzes.

7. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jun 21, 2010

Thanks. I think that was the one I was thinking of.