requiring materials & denying of FAPE

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by wvsasha, Sep 10, 2006.

1. wvsasha

wvsasha Companion

Sep 10, 2006

Ok, we all know that we have to provide Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) to all students.

We've been told that if we charge a lab fee, or book fees that we are denying FAPE to students.

Now the question arises -- does this also apply to requiring students to bring paper and pencils and folders to school/classes? This is being tossed around for discussion at the moment in my district as they are ironing out some regulations at the state level.

What are your all's thoughts?

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 10, 2006

I believe we have a textbook fee but you can get a waiver if you qualify for free/reduced lunch--- don't quote me on that---

I'm in pre-k and we have a "suggested" list. We ask mostly for paper towels, baby wipes, and whatnot--- we get crayons, paper, etc from the state budget... I guess the only way you can count it against a student if you take away points for kids who don't have (and can't afford such things) which would be really bad!!! Otherwise I don't see how it should be a huge issue. If the state is willing to fork up some more money than great-- if not they shouldn't be making pointless laws---

4. ms.jansen

ms.jansen Companion

Sep 10, 2006

Good question..... I guess if the family can't afford the basic supplies, they should be provided for them - but by whom, I don't know.

I had a kid who never brought a pencil to math class and I finally told him one day he had to go ask the principal if he could borrow a pencil from her for the hour. Another kid remarked what if he can't afford a pencil? Well, the kid definitely could, but if he couldn't, I suppose we would have provided one for him...

I think we are getting too many laws in the books. Common sense tells us to give the kid who can't afford one a pencil. But that's why I'm not a politician.

5. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Sep 10, 2006

I would think that the "suggested" supply list is just that, a suggestion. If a family chooses not to buy the items on the list they are not required too. My school also asks for a 15.00 activity fee for pre-K and 30.00 for K. I have not found anyone not willing to pay or send supplies. Technically they could refuse since education is supposed to be free!

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2006

All I require of my students is a pencil, paper, and a folder. If they don't have these items, they're referred to the student services center. In some cases I provide the items to the students myself, but with 100 plus kids a year, I can't always do that.

7. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2006

My son is in an accelerated math class in high school and I had to get him a TI-89 calculator that cost me $149.00. Luckily we could afford one but I am sure that some can't. What happens then is what I would like to know.

8. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Sep 10, 2006

What about public schools that charge a registration fee? My district doesn't do it, but another district close by does. I have always wondered how in the world they got by with that?

9. wvsasha

wvsasha Companion

Sep 10, 2006

Most schools I know have a loaner system for situation like what you suggests.

10. wvsasha

wvsasha Companion

Sep 10, 2006

Probably noone has ever tried to sue them on the basis of denial of FAPE. A few good newspaper articles in your local paper could stir this pot nicely.....

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2006

We charge $18 a year in PK and K for cooking and craft materials. If a child can't or doesn't pay it, we can't push it. Amazingly enough, the poorer families almost always find the money, but many of the wealthy ones just choose not to pay. Like last year, when I had one of the teachers in my school's son....

Here, if a child cannot get supplies at home, for whatever reason, the Dept. of Social Services runs a backpack program. Kids referred by the schools get free backpacks stuffed with supplies in Sept. Then, they maintain a supplies cupboard all year and if there is a new child without supplies, or a child who cannot replace the broken crayons, or whatever, all the teachers have to do is put in a formal request on behalf of the child, and whatever they need is delivered to our school. They'll even give the child a set of "homework" supplies to be kept at home. Unfortunately, this program is only set up for elementary school kids right now. They tried to expand it to middle school this year but couldn't find enough donors (to donate funds or actual supplies).
    Kim

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 10, 2006

I was one of those that wouldn't buy dry erase markers because I felt the school should pay for it. Hahaha, poor misguided me. I felt I paid $400/mo in property taxes every month and the school should handle their finances and take care of their teachers.

13. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 10, 2006

Students are buying the kleenex and markers and wetwipes and paper towels for your classrooms? Holy cow. It would never have occurred to me to ask a family to supply those things. I figured that was part of my job, to make sure my classroom was set up properly. If my child had brought home a list of "everyman's supplies" I would probably have torn it up and laughed at the incredible nerve. I know it's expensive to keep a classroom stocked, but even so, that was MY responsibility, not the job of the children.

Pencils, paper, etc? Responsibility of the family. And if the family is a bummer, I gave out stubby pencils, or sold new ones. Scrap paper was in a big pile over in the corner.

Our budget was so tight it squeaked, and to be asked to supply a schoolroom with kleenex when we were using toilet paper ourselves would have sent me over the edge.

When did this business begin, this asking families to supply the classroom? I don't like it.

Sure, it would have helped my personal budget, but at the expense of someone else's. Nope. I could never have done that.

If you're getting responses and bags full of goodies, that's nice.

14. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2006

I remember, as an elementary school student 25 years ago, bringing in boxes of Kleenex as part of our school supplies! So, obviously, it's not a new practice in this area.

My own school supply list (for preK) included: hand sanitizer, hand soap, comp. notebooks, folders, markers, glue and glue sticks. I also had a list of donations that I put on the bottom of the page - things nice to get, but not everyone is required to bring them. On this list were tissues, paper towels, playdough, sticky backed magnets, babywipes, ziplock bags (all sizes), plastic silverware, paper plates, sponges and safety pins. Nope, the school doesn't supply us with any of that, and we need much of it because we eat snack in our rooms. Many days, a parent forgets a napkin, or we need to give a child a spoon to eat his yogurt, or we need to put extra crackers in a baggie to send home, or we need to clean the table before and after the children eat.

My school must be backwards, though, because we supply all the crayons, pencils and paper. They even give us gallons of glue to refill the individual bottles. It's the basics (tissues, spoons) that don't go toward academics that we miss out on.
    Kim

15. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 10, 2006

I also ALWAYS had to bring in a thing of kleenex----- My take on it is if the kids are going to come to school sick-- and they always do we might as well have something to wipe their noses with. I don't usually use kleenex at home either but when a little kids nose is RAW AND RED I'd rather not use the 1 ply rough stuff on their little noses.
    As for the babywipes--- I have kids in diapers--- I don't think it's my responsibility to pay for baby wipes to wipe their bottoms-- but they are also incredibly nice to use. I do buy a few boxes a year with my own money too.
    We don't ask for any actual supplies. Oh we asked for toothbrushes this year too... We'll see if we get any of those in...
    I am not requiring them to buy anything but asking. BTW You can buy baby wipes, paper towels, and kleenex at the dollar store. Usually for under a dollar--- which is much cheaper than a backpack full of school supplies... Probably will cost the families $1.50...

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 10, 2006

Nowadays I don't hold this position, but at the time I didn't mind supplying anything on that list because my children used it to learn. Dry Erase markers I felt were under common teacher supplies to TEACH a lesson (my children wouldn't use them). For some reason I felt mad that the school didn't just flat out provide these since I was paying for this "free" education. Now I realize teachers supply so many things. I'm not mad at THEM. I still certainly feel school districts should do much much more to provide them with a budget.

17. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Sep 10, 2006

My kids use dry erase markers and have individual dry erase boards. It helps with informal assessments and the children love it. However, my parents have not had to supply dry erase markers.

18. becky

becky Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2006

When my now 20 yr old started K that was the beginning of a list coming home every year, most times in with the last report card.

Not long ago our paper did a story on back to school, and a slew of parents groused about sending things in. I never gave it a second thought, because he needed these things.