Requirements to substitute in NYC

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherkasey, Aug 7, 2007.

1. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

Hey everyone. My boyfriend and I are seriously thinking about moving to NYC next year. He is considering teaching as a career and wants to get his feet wet by substituting in NYC when we move. I went to check out the NY Education Dept. site but it wasn't very clear on the requirements for subbing in NYC:huh: .

Can anyone help us out and let me know what the requirements are? Thank you much:haha: .

3. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

To be a substitute in NYC, you have to have a bachelors degree, and I think that after 40 days of subbing you need to earn 6 credits in education. You definitely will have to be fingerprinted by NY and there is a lot of paper work to fill out. Everything takes awhile to process, so when your ready to move here, I would get the paper work filled out a few months before to set yourself up. Once everything is processed, you will get a file number then you can bring your resume to each individual school you want to sub at and write the file number on it. The will call you in as needed. The starting pay for per diem subs is $144.70
    Here is a link with some more info, and the application.

http://schools.nyc.gov/TeachNYC/Substitutes/Application/

Hope this helps!

4. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Aug 8, 2007

Thank you so much. This is pretty much what I thought after reading the website for NY dept. of ed. but it was kinda confusing so I wanted to get some clarification.

Thank you again:haha: .

5. mrsjam525

mrsjam525 Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

After you fill out the paperwork, take to 65 court street with transcripts and get fingerprinted ($115) and the sub license cost $50 but both these fees are one time. Once you have your paperwork in you will be issed your sub license then you go to schools and let know you are intrested. Now they have something called sub central which suppose to schedule sub jobs for you but they are still working out the kinks