Required to have a club?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DigitalDiva25, Jul 11, 2015.

1. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Jul 11, 2015

If you are a teacher, are you all required to have a club or run any after school activities for the students? Because I saw as part of the evaluation is that teachers are suppose to make a contribution to the community if I read correctly...

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2015

It is completely voluntary here.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 11, 2015

At my school it is technically not required, but it is expected. For a first-year teacher, try helping out with a club that is already formed. Gives you a chance to get your feet wet, without making a huge time commitment.

5. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jul 11, 2015

We're not required to run anything at my school and I'd say less than 30% of our 200ish teachers run a club/team.

6. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Jul 11, 2015

:yeahthat:

7. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2015

You also meet kids that otherwise never cross your path. First year? Do more than expected..........

8. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 11, 2015

Not required but expected.

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 11, 2015

First year teachers have enough going on without being "suggested" to lead clubs. If it's required at your school, it's required, but otherwise, don't feel obligated. Your first year will be tiring and stressful enough. Save the extras for a year or two down the line.

10. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jul 11, 2015

It was required at my school, for teachers k-2. We had to do it once a week. I really hated it.
    But for the most part, it is uncommon in public schools around here.

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 11, 2015

Contribution to community can also mean do you go to student ball games, performances, parades, etc.

12. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Jul 11, 2015

Participating in something school related outside normal duties is required at my school. As a first year I didn't want to take on the responsibility and stress of leading a club so I volunteered to speak before the school board. Once a month I gather up information on what all the classes are doing that month/achievements made and present it to the school board. Fairly simple job and it put me in the position to foster a positive relationship with our very active school board members.

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 11, 2015

At one school, we were all expected to take part in an after school club. We also had weekly after school meetings so two days a week, we were at school a minimum of nine hours a day.

14. leeshis0019

leeshis0019 Companion

Jul 11, 2015

Expected, but not required.

In fact, I wasn't even asked about this and my dept. head told me to do whatever I want.

I did end up co-sponsoring and am doing the same again this year with two clubs.

It's really just a mixed bag. I want to coach cross country or track as well, but that's up in the air. I would hate to coach anything like football or soccer. Those are slightly ridiculous with kids staying up until 10 or 11 at night on a school night. The coach does the same and more. :eek:

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 11, 2015

It's not required here. I don't run a club, but I believe my contribution to the community is my tech help and programs that I run. It's more for training staff, so I don't think it necessarily has to be a thing where you have to spend extra hours watching kids.

16. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Jul 12, 2015

My school required it for the first few years they were open. Now it is just "Strongly Encouraged".

17. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 12, 2015

It's optional. As a school, we do like after-school activity options. But parents to aides to teachers are all welcome to form them. I don't think there's a requirement on anyone's part (though parents get to count any clubs they form/help with as a part of volunteer hours for the charter).

18. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 12, 2015

No, but it is expected to take your turn contributing in some way - CIC, placement committee, student council activities, etc... We don't have many clubs.

19. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Jul 12, 2015

Being involved is suggested and encouraged at my school, but it isn't required. I volunteered to teach a 2 day after school class, and I attended some sports events, music events, and theater events.

20. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 13, 2015

My school received a grant last year for some YMCA programs. Leading them would be a paid position. My principal just did a little survey on who was interested. Generally speaking, many teachers felt there just wasn't enough time while our aides and other part-time folk were all "more money!"

There didn't seem to be any judgment, just pure survey on who was up for taking over the new programs.

21. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 13, 2015

It's not required here, but we only have a couple teachers who don't do anything extra. We're a small school, so it's nice that everyone pitches in. Some clubs require a lot more work than others. Mine has a couple busy months, but otherwise it's pretty low key. Almost all of the clubs have a decent stipend.

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 13, 2015

I would hope a school would not force a first year teacher to take on extra duties. Everyone knows that the first year is the hardest. Unless you were hired specifically because you have experience in a certain club/sport or whatever then I would say wait a year. The poster who mentioned assisting with an already existing club had a good idea also.

23. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jul 13, 2015

Clubs

My principal does not require that we head a club, but we are all expected to serve on a committee. Each year during inservice week, my principal posts a list of committees and we choose one or two. In the past it would not have mattered if we did not serve on a committee. Now that we have a professionism catagory that counts for a percentage of our evaluation, everyone choose at least 2 things.

24. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Jul 14, 2015

My first year I co-sponsored two clubs (recycling club meets weekly, and SGA meets monthly) Before I could be a part of a club (or volunteer with sports supervision I think) I had to sign a waiver saying that as a beginning teacher I knew I was not required to do those things, etc. I think someone said that was an NC thing--but I can't be sure.

While I worked in those two clubs my first year, and my second year, (and I will this year too) my evaluation in that area got better once I started doing presentations as well. I don't think you have to commit to something like a club that meets all the time. I presented to parents at a Curriculum Night we held, I also served on a teacher advisory committee. Both showed up in my evaluation this year as ways that I contributed to the community---no mention of the clubs though.

This year I want to do a school wide book swap through the recycling club though...so I am super excited about that. Just think about what way you would like to make a contribution--something that fits your personality. It is also good to check with other teachers, they can give you an idea of what your admin expects from you. If you think it could be overwhelming to commit to a club, talk to admin about other ways you can contribute. :)

25. TonyBalonga

TonyBalonga Rookie

Jul 15, 2015

What Does The Principal Do?

Public schools looked pretty unhealthy for several years. Principals came under attack. What really helped them look good was to have kids joyfully running to and fro, staying after school for this and that. I think some states even tried to encourage grading schools more on this kind of "healthy look" to take attention away from academics and all of the children being left behind.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  26. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2015

I run the cricket team at my school. It is a civilised game (well it is unless you are playing Australia)!

27. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jul 19, 2015

This! When my P did one of my evaluations, this was noted under the community involvement. I go to most of the home basketball games (we get in free and I love basketball) and I try to make a couple of football games (I hate football).

I do sponsor student council. And it's pretty easy because I make the kids do 95% of the stuff. Basically, I handle money and am a chauffeur but that's it, the kids handle the rest.